Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: farset on October 10, 2018, 06:25:40 PM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 10, 2018, 03:42:57 PM
Quote from: farset on October 10, 2018, 02:05:58 PM
I'm just talking about the surface and it being in Belfast.  You wouldn't complain travelling for the surface there. Corrigan every bit as good as what Casement was in my opinion.

That said I always remember the same people slabbering about having to play in Casement for hurling County finals involving two NA clubs.

naw your grand, we dont want to play in corrigan. Ahoghill will do us fine or even somewhere else halfway between until we get a county ground. until then we will continue 'slabbering' about it.

Well if, as I've heard, you are going to be playing your minor final before the IFC final, you'd hardly expect your slabbering to work with 3 Belfast clubs involved.

What 3 Belfast clubs?

country bumpkin

Quote from: farset on October 10, 2018, 08:47:30 PM
I'm new to this so don't really know the characters but of course St Endas are Belfast.
[/quote

Afraid not, St Enda's play in South West competitions....including O'Cahan, Mc Cormick, as well as Laverty and Breslin cups and participate in all juvenile leagues (under12 to under-18.)

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

St Endas from a competing point of view are a SW club but location is more Belfast so its really 50/50 for me.

Reading a fine article on social media about these fights during/after matches etc and about the passion from clubs. It did make a lot of sense. Our PRO got a mention in it though maybe a bit that should have been left out  :-X

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on October 10, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
He will say St. Enda's aren't a Belfast team....

And you are correct! They could be SW or NA.. don't forget SA couldn't cater for their teams a few years back so they came to the dark side  ;)

paddyjohn

Not debating that fact. A damn good club by the way!

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be fair i was wondering that about Glenravel this year. they won the junior in 2016 and went up for one year and then straight back down again and win it again. whats the point in that? All they did was prove that they are still a strong junior team. Cant see any merit in how that will ever improve a team.

hurl like f**k boi!

Spike

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 10, 2018, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: Spike on October 09, 2018, 07:48:26 AM
Yes Chapeau to Cargin and St Galls for that match. Really was one to remember, two teams going at it was a joy to behold and the resolution of both sides was admirable.

Final will be a different affair, can Cargin be as reckless against an organised Creggan team?  Creggan dont have the stars that st galls have but work so hard for each other and do the simple things well. Their form starts them as favourites but can Cargin's returning contingent make the difference?

Toals do not agree with you........but sure they go to lots of games  8) and go;

4/9 Cargin
13/8 Creggan

Handy money......?

Toals must believe Cargin's walking wounded will have visited Lourdes first.......

It's a tight call. On one hand you have a solid team playing competently for the past 5 or 6 years, league leaders and O'Cahon Cup winners........against a team that has struggled with injuries and player loss all year but are finding their feet and have had 3 hard championship games under their belt.

I know where my moneys going ;)

Hectic

Championship should be aligned with leagues.

As such this yr St.Endas should be playing Senior, Glenravel Junior. End of.

toby47

Quote from: Spike on October 11, 2018, 09:04:56 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 10, 2018, 02:50:08 PM
Quote from: Spike on October 09, 2018, 07:48:26 AM
Yes Chapeau to Cargin and St Galls for that match. Really was one to remember, two teams going at it was a joy to behold and the resolution of both sides was admirable.

Final will be a different affair, can Cargin be as reckless against an organised Creggan team?  Creggan dont have the stars that st galls have but work so hard for each other and do the simple things well. Their form starts them as favourites but can Cargin's returning contingent make the difference?

Toals do not agree with you........but sure they go to lots of games  8) and go;

4/9 Cargin
13/8 Creggan

Handy money......?

Toals must believe Cargin's walking wounded will have visited Lourdes first.......

It's a tight call. On one hand you have a solid team playing competently for the past 5 or 6 years, league leaders and O'Cahon Cup winners........against a team that has struggled with injuries and player loss all year but are finding their feet and have had 3 hard championship games under their belt.

I know where my moneys going ;)

Creggan 2/1 on PaddyPower

themac_23

Quote from: Hectic on October 11, 2018, 09:09:13 AM

Should be aligned with the leagues, the thing being even this year, the best div 2 teams didn't actually play IFC they played SFC in st Bridget's and Aldergrove. Makes a bit of a mockery that you've 2 div 2 teams playing senior yet a mid table div 1 playing intermediate, not all the clubs fault the county should set it out at the start of the year

Hectic

Quote from: themac_23 on October 11, 2018, 09:27:52 AM
Quote from: Hectic on October 11, 2018, 09:09:13 AM

Should be aligned with the leagues, the thing being even this year, the best div 2 teams didn't actually play IFC they played SFC in st Bridget's and Aldergrove. Makes a bit of a mockery that you've 2 div 2 teams playing senior yet a mid table div 1 playing intermediate, not all the clubs fault the county should set it out at the start of the year

Yep and I would nearly go another layer and give clubs who want to play Intermediate or Junior after finishing in a promotion spot the option of playing in those Championships provided they waive promotion to the Senior or Intermediate leagues.  If they feel they are not ready for the step up in Championship class they should not be taking up a spot in the higher league when perhaps there are other clubs that would feel that they are progressing and would take the opportunity to move on up.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 11, 2018, 08:50:51 AM
to be fair i was wondering that about Glenravel this year. they won the junior in 2016 and went up for one year and then straight back down again and win it again. whats the point in that? All they did was prove that they are still a strong junior team. Cant see any merit in how that will ever improve a team.

My bro in law lives up there and from what he's told me, they had 5 retirements at the start of the year and 2 in the states. 4 came back to play through the year.

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

themac_23 quote:

'Should be aligned with the leagues, the thing being even this year, the best div 2 teams didn't actually play IFC they played SFC in st Bridget's and Aldergrove. Makes a bit of a mockery that you've 2 div 2 teams playing senior yet a mid table div 1 playing intermediate, not all the clubs fault the county should set it out at the start of the year'

St Brigids didn't play intermediate as they won it last year and had to go up even though they asked to be kept in intermediate but rightly so they were told no

Aldergorve did play in it but were beat comfortably in the premlim stage by Gort Na Mona

St Endas worthy favourites but Gort Na Mona will give it a good rattle and might surprise a few.

outinfront

Totally agree that Championship should be aligned with league positions across all counties (and promotion up the grade if you win one the previous year eg JFC to IFC). 

It would do away with any of the arguing about "they shouldn't be in this grade".  If your league position dictates that you are senior, even if its a tough ask, then so be it.

There may be arguments against this, thoughts?

On a side note, St Endas have made brilliant progress.  Played them a few years ago in preseason and have had the benefits of some of the young lads playing on our school teams.  Good luck to them in the final and it would be good to see them play at senior for the foreseeable.

Peileadoir

St . Enda's  knew that some people would find it strange that they entered the IFC but most people probably dont know that they have never won any adult county football championship at either Junior, Intermediate or Senior grade in their history. They played senior for most of the 90's and noughties before dropping down to intermediate so seem to have set their sights on winning their first title before they consider themselves a proper senior club. If more established clubs like Rossa and the Johnnies can enter and win intermediate grade championships why cant they aspire to that too.
Big favourites for the final but write off Gorts at their peril. In Sean McKenna they have a very astute coach who will have them set up really well.