Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3540198 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #21810 on: October 13, 2021, 05:13:09 PM »
Lot of genuine gaels on here and men who want the best for antrim. im not having a go at anyone on the curent CB as it iv more faith in this board than i have in previous years. Im just stating the reality of the situation. I know MR2 likes the old "put your name forward if you think you could do better", (hes on his high horse because he does a bit of reffing) but I cut my clubs grass every 2nd week and help out with our committees fund raising and take underage trainings, thats my input to antrim football. I know im not the man for any of the jobs i am talking about, but thankfully for free speech im allowed to air my thoughts on here and will keep doing so. But everything that BS has stated on this topic i genuinely agree with and hes the most optimistic gael in antrim.

But lets all call a spade a spade, if business' in the county had any faith in our football set up we would have had state of the art facilities, investment in development, lots of sponsorship and we would still be playing in our county ground. We had a few holes in the bucket financially over the years and unfortunately the knock on effect has been that our juvenile and senior footballers havnt got the backing from the CB they needed to flourish...because the CB couldnt get financial backing from anywhere in the county aside from Creagh and a few others....

Tell me how our hurlers are far better equipped and set up... is the finances split or have they a completely different committee / budget?

I've done more than ref'ing ... Managed juveniles for 6/7 years managed senior hurlers for many years and only got into ref'ing to keep interested, so spare me cutting the grass and helping with fundraising (buying a lotto ticket). If you are going to complain about it without trying to fix it that's fair enough, you'll not help matters doing what you are doing. Ref'ing won't help matters either

All I said was all these other counties you feel are doing it better are constantly getting hammered by people who probably don't know the first thing about what goes on at CB level, to be fair I've no idea nor interested in knowing as it sounds like hard work which if you listen to ones here unnoticed!

The county from what I can see will always struggle to get what's 'needed' because we have 2 codes requiring the same attention. Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan Monaghan Donegal pump all their resources into one sport, if we did the same we'd be in a better position
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Kickham csc

• View Profile
« Reply #21811 on: October 13, 2021, 05:46:18 PM »
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!
I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference

Quite a large Dunloy rep in St Louis's recent Mageenan Cup campaigns. And C&P Ballycastle performance in Mageenan's and All Ireland has been emmence.

Lavey hurlers will talk about the importance St Pat's on their 90's team.

From a football point of view, every county in Ulster had a well run vocational and college school program for years. Talk to Fermanagh ones (with a smaller player base than Antrim, but who have consistently outperformed us during the past 50 years) how important St Michael's Enniskillen is to them about the development of their Players.

Any competition that provides the potential to compete against the best in Ulster and possibly Ireland should not be dismissed. So yes, lets get our clubs to improve the foundation, but you also need to look at elite player development and schools is vital in this regards.

Also, my two cents on clubs taking responsibility on improving their standards. I spent 5 years in England and got my Level 1 coaching badge in soccer. What amazed me was the England FA Level one wasn't just a development course that help you set up training sessions and basic coaching techniques, it was focused on the "England DNA".

The EFA established a program about 10 years ago where they set out how they wanted English players developed so that they England consistently produced technically and tactically proficient players. They established England principles in the coaching program.

The whole way through the training they focused on the Engalnd style and have embedded into every club, both grass roots and professional clubs. The young players they are developing now are the first to come through the program.

So it's not good enough that every club ups their game, Antrim need to make sure that every club is upping their game and coaching the kids in a consistent approach to produce players who play with the Antrim DNA

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #21812 on: October 13, 2021, 06:41:49 PM »
Are we the only county in ulster without a McCrory cup representative?

BealnaBlath

• View Profile
« Reply #21813 on: October 13, 2021, 07:55:25 PM »
Few whispers at the hurling today that McKeever could be getting off on appeal? Would like to see all players available for the  spectacle but I think it would be another slap in face for referees. Like McCann getting off last year on word of the county chair the same ref would could feel heís not being backed as by all accounts it was a strike which he had a clear view. If thatís the case surely no further evidence could be used to undermine refs further? The appeals process Always an interesting topic suppose

The whispers at the hurling turned out to be true? Another county star gets away with a strike  on appeal. Iím sure referees are sick and tired always put their hand up they get it wrong but must be difficult to accept when player still gets of with no clear evidence. You wonder why some continue to ref

EOC1923

• View Profile
« Reply #21814 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:15 PM »
Few whispers at the hurling today that McKeever could be getting off on appeal? Would like to see all players available for the  spectacle but I think it would be another slap in face for referees. Like McCann getting off last year on word of the county chair the same ref would could feel heís not being backed as by all accounts it was a strike which he had a clear view. If thatís the case surely no further evidence could be used to undermine refs further? The appeals process Always an interesting topic suppose

The whispers at the hurling turned out to be true? Another county star gets away with a strike  on appeal. Iím sure referees are sick and tired always put their hand up they get it wrong but must be difficult to accept when player still gets of with no clear evidence. You wonder why some continue to ref
If McKeever is cleared its the correct decision from what I seen of the incident. No big conspiracy

rogercasement

• View Profile
« Reply #21815 on: October 13, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »
To be fair. I reckon the referees report would have assisted Niall. I genuinely think he flashed the red for whatever reason and then realised he made an error. Haven't heard any official news if it has been overturned btw. Still don't think lamh derg will be losing any sleep, particularly with Dermy still out.

BealnaBlath

• View Profile
« Reply #21816 on: October 13, 2021, 09:05:35 PM »
No conspiracy theories lads  here just saying it feels like another slap in the face for referees.

EOC1923

• View Profile
« Reply #21817 on: October 13, 2021, 09:14:33 PM »
No conspiracy theories lads  here just saying it feels like another slap in the face for referees.
Dont see how any referee would take offence as it was never a red card, as with Mick McCanns last year. If people were being let off for punching people i would agree.

BealnaBlath

• View Profile
« Reply #21818 on: October 13, 2021, 09:21:42 PM »
Understand your point EOC and if it is clear mistake from ref then they are first to put hands up in my experience.

Wonder if many un20 games go ahead this week? Worth a proper restructure of fixtures next year. Discussion for another night  ;D

Calm Down

• View Profile
« Reply #21819 on: October 13, 2021, 09:52:13 PM »
On what grounds is McKeever appealing? It didnít happen?

Saffrongael

• View Profile
« Reply #21820 on: October 13, 2021, 09:56:12 PM »
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!
I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference

Dunloy wouldnít be a great example, a club that was coming from a lot of success. Hurlings ingrained in the village and most of the families. Many of the current players fathers in Dunloy had Antrim championship medals coming out their ears. They werenít starting from zero.

From my own experience a club can be doing great things but if the kids at u-9 or u-10 are only training one hour a week for example and donít lift a hurl the rest of the week itís hard for them to reach their full potential.

Many families in clubs in Belfast donít have a Gaa background and donít push the kids (in a good way) and a lot of times itís just a passing fad and they donít stick at it. From what I have seen any parents that are involved in the club and have a background in Gaa the kids will stick at it.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #21821 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:51 PM »
Yes. And I doubt we will for a right few years to come.

And when you consider that we were drilled by 27 points in the U17 Ulster Championship Preliminary round, it shouldnít come as a massive surprise that we donít have a pile of players capable of competing at elite level schoolsí football.
Cargin, Moneyglass and Creggan lads regularly play for Maghera and Magherafelt.  Aghagallon lads will feature for St Ronanís.  We have plenty of lads capable of playing at that level, most just donít get the chance to push themselves to that level.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 10:58:57 PM by Sportacus »

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21822 on: October 13, 2021, 11:00:37 PM »
You don't just play Mc Rory. You need to be accepted into the competition on merit, so unless a school is consistent throughout the various age groups they will remain confined to B Grade competition. Antrim schools used to be fairly competitive at B Grade level but I don't think they have been for quite a while. Is there a C Grade? Maybe Antrim schools could have a competition on their own!

Sincere apologies in advance to those genuinely dedicated teachers who have or do continue to serve in this capacity..but very obviously there is a huge problem in this regard. A teacher won't change this...you need a dozen teachers stepping up, two or three with each year group. It's simply not happening atm.

Any teachers wish to confirm or refute? This is the way it looks from the outside looking in.

I'm telling you, it's all about the club. Get that right the rest will follow. If teachers thought they had a reasonable chance of success, a quality squad, then they may be more inclined to put their hand up. They shouldn't have to start explaining the basics. That should be in place before they come in the gate at secondary level.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21823 on: October 14, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
I have absolutely no doubt that in the right hands a "steering group" could safely bring 25 players through the system and return them as individuals with the right credentials to play at the highest level. You'd be looking at guys now aged 11 to 15, maybe 16, three to five in each year group. This is an eight to ten year plan.

(Check Pat Culhane, how to turn Limerick into a hurling empire, on You Tube. The story goes back over ten years).

There's so many aspects involved. Identifying talent. Make sure that talent is nurtured accordingly across all the disciplines, physical mental technical etc.

As I say in the right hands because this is like drawing a masterpiece. Many could try... but only the most dedicated to the attention of detail analysis, follow up, support structure and measurement procedure will succeed.

Those young players are amongst us. Can we turn them into diamonds?

The new director of football has a task ahead of him.

Caesar

• View Profile
« Reply #21824 on: October 14, 2021, 04:59:10 PM »
Did we ever find out any more about the new "Director of Football" role?

What's the remit? What was the selection process? What is the plan?