Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 13, 2021, 10:18:52 AM
Kitting players out in gear, booking them big buses, making things appear to be as professional as possible is all well and good but unless the same group have had the same approach applied to the footballing side of things. from juvenile right through to senior then no matter how big your bus, or how nice your tracksuit is.... ul be pissing into the wind.

Have heard this talk of Antrim feeling inferior because other neighbouring counties get treated better.... Yes they do get treated better and get more investment but off the back of putting in the hard work under age and developing their players. Antrim is inferior because their whole set up, coaching, county board is inferior compared to the rest of ulster. All they can bring to the table is solutions to short term problems. investing money in senior set ups whilst the underage get some young boys da taking county teams for 1 year or 2 until wee jimmy goes to the next age group. How many years has it went on....

Guys I'm not on defending CB's I have in the past been very vocal on issues, but take a nosey on to any of these other threads from other counties in Ulster and you'll get people complaining about county boards and various other topics you are hearing here.

While those counties have some success at various levels, nobody is really happy all the time, we could be a lot better but we are a dual county with stretched needs.. The hurlers have won through to Div1 the footballers have won through to div 3, this has been the way for years, so are we to blame every county board since the 50's or do we look at ourselves and say, "are we doing enough" having a pop a the CB is easy, especially behind the keyboard, and we have some fantastic servants of Antrim teams in the past on here.

Having great ideas is brilliant, seeing them through to reality is a lot harder. If you feel passionate enough to get them across then get involved at the levels needed to make a change
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Flanker

Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 13, 2021, 10:18:52 AM
Kitting players out in gear, booking them big buses, making things appear to be as professional as possible is all well and good but unless the same group have had the same approach applied to the footballing side of things. from juvenile right through to senior then no matter how big your bus, or how nice your tracksuit is.... ul be pissing into the wind.

Have heard this talk of Antrim feeling inferior because other neighbouring counties get treated better.... Yes they do get treated better and get more investment but off the back of putting in the hard work under age and developing their players. Antrim is inferior because their whole set up, coaching, county board is inferior compared to the rest of ulster. All they can bring to the table is solutions to short term problems. investing money in senior set ups whilst the underage get some young boys da taking county teams for 1 year or 2 until wee jimmy goes to the next age group. How many years has it went on....

Roger hits the nail on the head

The only bit you left out was
Jimmy's Da usually moves up the age groups with Jimmy and by the time it gets to Minor there have been that many drop outs that there is next to nothing left.

The template is there
Counties with small populations can make it work and break through
Monaghan
Roscommon
Offaly

Previous quite from RM
The truth is with the exception of a small number of clubs, is that around antrim the footballing culture just isnt there! il be lambasted for saying that but the proofs in the pudding.

We have clubs from time to time who get a good set of coaches together and make a burst but find it difficult to keep it going on a sustained basis.

As BS alluded to if more clubs get the early years sorted and can keep it going on a consistent basis it will produce better outcomes.

When the foundation is there we can worry about  the Chambers Coaches & The kit (There will be a queue to sponsor)

bannside

We go round in circles here every time this topic comes up. I've defended the "board" here as much as anyone, and been as optimistic or positive as possible, but sometime the time comes to put your hands up and say this is just stinking awful bad.

Do I honestly feel I will see an Antrim team playing Division Two football in the next ten years. No, I'm afraid I don't.

The standard of senior football is at an all time low. That's why there are 6 or 8 teams that can beat each other on any given day.

I've zero optimism for our county senior footballers atm. I've zero optimism for any Antrim school making a breakthrough. Belfast is a mess, traditional clubs can't even field a minor team, and Ireland's second largest city needs to take a good look at itself.

I can't see anything happening for years and years to be honest...unless a dozen clubs start their own revolution and take outright responsibility for bringing every potential grade A player safely through the system intact.

Every club should have its own gym and S/C programmes. It's the only way we can be certain of developing a pool of 25 good enough to play competitively at inter county level.

ck

Quote from: bannside on October 13, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
We go round in circles here every time this topic comes up. I've defended the "board" here as much as anyone, and been as optimistic or positive as possible, but sometime the time comes to put your hands up and say this is just stinking awful bad.

Do I honestly feel I will see an Antrim team playing Division Two football in the next ten years. No, I'm afraid I don't.

The standard of senior football is at an all time low. That's why there are 6 or 8 teams that can beat each other on any given day.

I've zero optimism for our county senior footballers atm. I've zero optimism for any Antrim school making a breakthrough. Belfast is a mess, traditional clubs can't even field a minor team, and Ireland's second largest city needs to take a good look at itself.

I can't see anything happening for years and years to be honest...unless a dozen clubs start their own revolution and take outright responsibility for bringing every potential grade A player safely through the system intact.

Every club should have its own gym and S/C programmes. It's the only way we can be certain of developing a pool of 25 good enough to play competitively at inter county level.

Again, I agree with every word of this. Looking for quick fixes such as the McRory Cup is nonsense.

Dublin revolutionised Gaelic Football by putting coaches into clubs. Made it attractive and fun to play. Restructured clubs and put the emphasis on player numbers and good coaching. Yes it took money but this is how it'd done, through the clubs. It's just lazy to look for short cuts.

bannside

Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!

Rodger Mona

Lot of genuine gaels on here and men who want the best for antrim. im not having a go at anyone on the curent CB as it iv more faith in this board than i have in previous years. Im just stating the reality of the situation. I know MR2 likes the old "put your name forward if you think you could do better", (hes on his high horse because he does a bit of reffing) but I cut my clubs grass every 2nd week and help out with our committees fund raising and take underage trainings, thats my input to antrim football. I know im not the man for any of the jobs i am talking about, but thankfully for free speech im allowed to air my thoughts on here and will keep doing so. But everything that BS has stated on this topic i genuinely agree with and hes the most optimistic gael in antrim.

But lets all call a spade a spade, if business' in the county had any faith in our football set up we would have had state of the art facilities, investment in development, lots of sponsorship and we would still be playing in our county ground. We had a few holes in the bucket financially over the years and unfortunately the knock on effect has been that our juvenile and senior footballers havnt got the backing from the CB they needed to flourish...because the CB couldnt get financial backing from anywhere in the county aside from Creagh and a few others....

Tell me how our hurlers are far better equipped and set up... is the finances split or have they a completely different committee / budget?

bannside

Totally agree CK with what you said about Dublin. It was by promoting proper in club coaching structures that brought the Dubs to a new level. As the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

I saw St Brigid's under 13s in action last night. A joy to watch, well coached, unselfish, five or six exceptionally tall physical lads for their age, and skill level of highest order for their age. I'd be sure there are several grade As there from what I saw, and those are not easily found.

It dosent need to be doom and gloom. If clubs take more responsibility and up their committment, the quality coming down the track will begin to get noticeably better.

That way schools and county squads can benefit in the knock on effect.

bannside

Roger, I often believed the hurlers got a better all round deal, but in recent years I'd say that isn't such an issue.

The money for all the necessary base level requirements are set aside for county senior hurlers and footballers. Neither Lenny nor Enda can point to any significant prevention of the tools or support the county board could offer. I think they are both on a level enough playing field as far as finance available for preparation goes.

The difference is that the hurlers got themselves very well organised. The Creagh family are all hurling daft and it's good that they are. Tony Shivers and others get actively involved because it's their passion. We can't fault that.

My view is that football people in our county deserve their lot. Not enough were prepared to stand up or say enough is enough.

You wait for the outcry, the big debate at County Committee, the rise up of club delegates, but time after time...nothing. Sometimes not even a conversation.... We learned to accept mediocrity long ago.

The only optimism I have left is when I see clubs starting to do things well. Where Gaelic Football is all that matters. Like in  Edendork or Trillick or Killyclougher or Pomeroy. Nothing there but a football pitch.

If we can drive that message home, and build in that all consuming passion and interest... then maybe the next generation can start to step out with confidence. Until then we may get used to it.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on October 13, 2021, 01:03:08 PM
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rodger Mona on October 13, 2021, 01:24:44 PM
Lot of genuine gaels on here and men who want the best for antrim. im not having a go at anyone on the curent CB as it iv more faith in this board than i have in previous years. Im just stating the reality of the situation. I know MR2 likes the old "put your name forward if you think you could do better", (hes on his high horse because he does a bit of reffing) but I cut my clubs grass every 2nd week and help out with our committees fund raising and take underage trainings, thats my input to antrim football. I know im not the man for any of the jobs i am talking about, but thankfully for free speech im allowed to air my thoughts on here and will keep doing so. But everything that BS has stated on this topic i genuinely agree with and hes the most optimistic gael in antrim.

But lets all call a spade a spade, if business' in the county had any faith in our football set up we would have had state of the art facilities, investment in development, lots of sponsorship and we would still be playing in our county ground. We had a few holes in the bucket financially over the years and unfortunately the knock on effect has been that our juvenile and senior footballers havnt got the backing from the CB they needed to flourish...because the CB couldnt get financial backing from anywhere in the county aside from Creagh and a few others....

Tell me how our hurlers are far better equipped and set up... is the finances split or have they a completely different committee / budget?

I've done more than ref'ing ... Managed juveniles for 6/7 years managed senior hurlers for many years and only got into ref'ing to keep interested, so spare me cutting the grass and helping with fundraising (buying a lotto ticket). If you are going to complain about it without trying to fix it that's fair enough, you'll not help matters doing what you are doing. Ref'ing won't help matters either

All I said was all these other counties you feel are doing it better are constantly getting hammered by people who probably don't know the first thing about what goes on at CB level, to be fair I've no idea nor interested in knowing as it sounds like hard work which if you listen to ones here unnoticed!

The county from what I can see will always struggle to get what's 'needed' because we have 2 codes requiring the same attention. Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan Monaghan Donegal pump all their resources into one sport, if we did the same we'd be in a better position
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kickham csc

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 13, 2021, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: bannside on October 13, 2021, 01:03:08 PM

I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference

Quite a large Dunloy rep in St Louis's recent Mageenan Cup campaigns. And C&P Ballycastle performance in Mageenan's and All Ireland has been emmence.

Lavey hurlers will talk about the importance St Pat's on their 90's team.

From a football point of view, every county in Ulster had a well run vocational and college school program for years. Talk to Fermanagh ones (with a smaller player base than Antrim, but who have consistently outperformed us during the past 50 years) how important St Michael's Enniskillen is to them about the development of their Players.

Any competition that provides the potential to compete against the best in Ulster and possibly Ireland should not be dismissed. So yes, lets get our clubs to improve the foundation, but you also need to look at elite player development and schools is vital in this regards.

Also, my two cents on clubs taking responsibility on improving their standards. I spent 5 years in England and got my Level 1 coaching badge in soccer. What amazed me was the England FA Level one wasn't just a development course that help you set up training sessions and basic coaching techniques, it was focused on the "England DNA".

The EFA established a program about 10 years ago where they set out how they wanted English players developed so that they England consistently produced technically and tactically proficient players. They established England principles in the coaching program.

The whole way through the training they focused on the Engalnd style and have embedded into every club, both grass roots and professional clubs. The young players they are developing now are the first to come through the program.

So it's not good enough that every club ups their game, Antrim need to make sure that every club is upping their game and coaching the kids in a consistent approach to produce players who play with the Antrim DNA

JimStynes

Are we the only county in ulster without a McCrory cup representative?

BealnaBlath

Quote from: BealnaBlath on October 09, 2021, 05:51:57 PM
Few whispers at the hurling today that McKeever could be getting off on appeal? Would like to see all players available for the  spectacle but I think it would be another slap in face for referees. Like McCann getting off last year on word of the county chair the same ref would could feel he's not being backed as by all accounts it was a strike which he had a clear view. If that's the case surely no further evidence could be used to undermine refs further? The appeals process Always an interesting topic suppose

The whispers at the hurling turned out to be true? Another county star gets away with a strike  on appeal. I'm sure referees are sick and tired always put their hand up they get it wrong but must be difficult to accept when player still gets of with no clear evidence. You wonder why some continue to ref

EOC1923

Quote from: BealnaBlath on October 13, 2021, 07:55:25 PM
Quote from: BealnaBlath on October 09, 2021, 05:51:57 PM
Few whispers at the hurling today that McKeever could be getting off on appeal? Would like to see all players available for the  spectacle but I think it would be another slap in face for referees. Like McCann getting off last year on word of the county chair the same ref would could feel he's not being backed as by all accounts it was a strike which he had a clear view. If that's the case surely no further evidence could be used to undermine refs further? The appeals process Always an interesting topic suppose

The whispers at the hurling turned out to be true? Another county star gets away with a strike  on appeal. I'm sure referees are sick and tired always put their hand up they get it wrong but must be difficult to accept when player still gets of with no clear evidence. You wonder why some continue to ref
If McKeever is cleared its the correct decision from what I seen of the incident. No big conspiracy

rogercasement

To be fair. I reckon the referees report would have assisted Niall. I genuinely think he flashed the red for whatever reason and then realised he made an error. Haven't heard any official news if it has been overturned btw. Still don't think lamh derg will be losing any sleep, particularly with Dermy still out.