Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: Calm Down on October 11, 2021, 12:56:12 PM
Forget MacRory cups etc lads if we can't get the basics right from U10 on

if the quality in the final yesterday was reflective of the best in Antrim then the future is far from bright

If MAcRory Cup participation became a major target for Antrim, you don't focus on the MAcRory team at 16-18 age groups, it starts in first year in the school. It's a major effort to get a successful MacRory program up and running.

I went to Maghera,  from the very first PE class the teachers set out the ambition and standards that the school expected from the players in regards to football. We had a Maghera style and they started embedding that into the pupils.

The focus was not on winning at every year group, we went to win every match through the younger competitions but it wasn't the be all end all, but the approach and discipline and commitment was the primary focus.

MacRory was serious, at the expectations at this point was a minimum to get to the final, but we were driven to win.

Maghera also worked well with the local clubs, hosted primary school tournaments, teachers scouted local underage games making sure they hadn't missed a kid who is at the school.

It takes a serious effort to be successful

bannside

I have absolutely zero confidence in our county to put anything in place that resembles a meaningful approach to games development at county level. I mean zero. There are far too many barriers, finance, lack of know how, apathy, and hurling delegates amongst a CC who genuinely have no interest in football success whatsoever.

I spent a dozen years or more on this journey between underage squads (under 15 - 21) county development committees and going to Ulster council backed coaching initiatives (coach the coaches) and watched every other county make some kind of a genuine attempt, but not us.

Go into your club and make it happen at underage level. The younger the better. I can see what's happening in my own club, it gives outstanding confidence in the future. I truly can see a dozen county stars of the future coming through a progressive pipeline of development. It truly does the heart good to see it in action. But it's no good three or four clubs doing it. We need 20 clubs really upping their game with regard to juveniles.

As I say, anything else is a bonus, but do not be hanging around waiting on it.

The great St Galls team of the naughties started with a few men like Liam Stewart and Sean Mc Gourty and a couple of dozen under tens. From there to Croke Park. That's the model folks. In Antrim everything else is pie in the sky.

That St Galls team, and Cargin who always pushed them close, would put a dozen points on what Im seeing atm. We need to start all over again.

Ciall

But then you're part of the problem?? You are "the county." You're a club member in the county, you vote for club delegates, county delegates and you were actually part of the county underage set ups. Until we all change things and stop bitching we won't get anywhere together. Surely the young lads should benefit from games vs the best in other counties, training with the best in our county.

I do agree with one point tho, focus on club  underage and get it right. Kids are 11-12 and 14-15 by the time they hit secondary schools and then county teams. Sure if they've not had a proper foundation of coaching in place then what will one a week sessions in schools or county give them?

It would be great to see St Marys become a force in Gaelic Football, they have the staff etc there that could deliver, but are they willing too? What support do they need? Financially, facilities, fixtures? Would our club coaches allow it or would they complain about the young lad being out so many times with the school or make a young lad run about that evening again? Should Gaelfast look at it? Are they looking at it? But then again where does it work if it's not the teachers involved.

Clubs, Schools and county all need to support each other if we are to get anywhere, not telling people to have zero confidence in the other. I don't know who you are or your expertise in taking teams, but I fancy my chances with the lads who have qualifications in developing players and experience taking teams.

bannside

Everyone knows our county development set up is a joke, it's embarrassing and it's been going on for decade after decade, and if enough Muppets think otherwise things will never change.

I don't think I've ever seen things worse, and that's some statement.

Current Coiste Baniste have made a move to create a director of football, that's a welcome start, but at the same time it would be good to know what Gearoids actual remit is. I'm definitely not holding my breath let's put it that way.

You haven't been round enough corners Ciall, I used to be wide eyed and put my trust in the system but the only thing it has delivered for Antrim Football in 50 years is underachievement. It gets to a point you get tired of the bullshit. We are nothing but a disgrace in national terms.

So....my point once again is.....clubs stand up and take your own responsibility.  Bring your own future stars through. At least that's something that most clubs can influence if they get a handful of like minded enthusiasts.

Maybe that way we can deliver a pool of 25 - 30 grade A players in the future.

JimStynes

Bannside is usually the most optimistic man on here when it comes to Antrim so things must be bad. I remember a minor team that Bannside was part of who went to play Derry who turned up in a big Chambers bus with full tracksuits on, their own kitbags, proper kits and the lot. Antrim turned up and had plain yellow tops and the lads had to wear their own shorts. As a young lad it was disheartening seeing other teams being treated like elite footballers and Antrim's were an afterthought. Surely it's better now?
Gaelfast up in rhe air too ffs! I said it here before about Gaelfast, it would take 100 times the amount of money they received to change things.

JimStynes

Quote from: Calm Down on October 11, 2021, 12:56:12 PM
Forget MacRory cups etc lads if we can't get the basics right from U10 on

if the quality in the final yesterday was reflective of the best in Antrim then the future is far from bright

Even as an Aghagallon man I thought the quality was quite poor tbh. Although I didn't know if it was just because it was U17s, there seemed to be a lot of very small lads playing. The standard doesn't seem great at that age group in the county this year. Although we are worthy champions as we won both league and championship.

Calm Down

Wasn't clear from the steam what the hop was for but from what I know that ref is pretty 'technical' when it comes to the rules so God only knows! Don't think it was too long on the kick out, was the D clear?

delgany

Quote from: Calm Down on October 11, 2021, 09:07:17 PM
Wasn't clear from the steam what the hop was for but from what I know that ref is pretty 'technical' when it comes to the rules so God only knows! Don't think it was too long on the kick out, was the D clear?

It looked like the st pauls player walking closest to ref was on edge of the D and not the lad receiving the ball..
The throw up was pathetic as well

Belfast GAA man

U boys are very negative!
Why football quarters not this weekend?

Calm Down

https://twitter.com/aontroimgaa/status/1447539622364553223?s=24

Ah yeah, fair enough rules are rules, if the ball had went long perhaps it would be let go, but going short may have been the kicker

Pathetic throw is right didn't get above head height

Quote from: delgany on October 11, 2021, 09:20:12 PM

It looked like the st pauls player walking closest to ref was on edge of the D and not the lad receiving the ball..
The throw up was pathetic as well

Gold

I can't even deal

Wouldn't know if a ball was blown up or stuffed
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

EOC1923

On the quality of the minor final people need to realise its U17 now not the previous U18 and you will get that younger, more inexperienced player than was there at U18 who will make more mistakes.
Two big calls in the game - the black and red with 20 to go was very harsh (unless there was some verbals but didn't look to be). The hop ball at the end also, yeah the trailing heel of the St Pauls player may have technically been in D as the keeper kicked but jesus were dealing with 14,15,16,17 year olds here, marginal calls like that don't need to be made IMO. But that's all they are, split decisions the man in the middle makes, from knowing the ref the game was still officiated in a fair manner and technically both calls could be justified in the rule book no doubt.
Macrory not the be all and end all, certainly helps develop a player to that higher standard. Our problem is as BS may have already stated not enough clubs producing good underage players or are putting any effort to get better. Go to Tyrone, Derry you could have 5 times as many clubs that Antrim have putting in the work at underage. So for every Portglenone, Cargin they will have 10 teams doing the same or Aghagllon and St Pauls there are ten in Tyrone doing the same. The sheer volume then leads to a higher standard. It really is as simple as that.

bannside

Jim Stynes, I recall well the Derry minor team arriving in the big new chambers coach. Walked into Casement like they were the All Ireland champions they turned out to be.

I managed Portglenone one year  (09) and I wanted a coach to take us to Toome to play Creggan. It took a strong argument to get the go ahead from club committee, but they consented for our players to travel together in luxury those 15 miles. When we arrived at the pitch in Toome our big Chambers coach reversed up side by side with Creggans Chambers coach. They travelled 4 miles lol.

We had all black warm up gear, Creggan had all white. Neither side was conceding a single inch!

Looking back it was probably money wasted because St Galls were in their absolute pomp at the time. The most we were going to win was a match, but pride is what inter parish championship is all about. It's what makes our games great!

JimStynes

Quote from: bannside on October 12, 2021, 06:50:58 PM
Jim Stynes, I recall well the Derry minor team arriving in the big new chambers coach. Walked into Casement like they were the All Ireland champions they turned out to be.

I managed Portglenone one year  (09) and I wanted a coach to take us to Toome to play Creggan. It took a strong argument to get the go ahead from club committee, but they consented for our players to travel together in luxury those 15 miles. When we arrived at the pitch in Toome our big Chambers coach reversed up side by side with Creggans Chambers coach. They travelled 4 miles lol.

We had all black warm up gear, Creggan had all white. Neither side was conceding a single inch!

Looking back it was probably money wasted because St Galls were in their absolute pomp at the time. The most we were going to win was a match, but pride is what inter parish championship is all about. It's what makes our games great!

It was also the same at the millennium games u16 tournament. We were the poor relation with no tracksuits and proper gear. We wore the free fruit of the loom yellow tops that the tournament organisers gave us. The weather was class so we cut the sleeves off the tops like Trevor Giles did around that time. By the end of the tournament all the teams did the same, trend setters lol. Great memories.

Rodger Mona

Kitting players out in gear, booking them big buses, making things appear to be as professional as possible is all well and good but unless the same group have had the same approach applied to the footballing side of things. from juvenile right through to senior then no matter how big your bus, or how nice your tracksuit is.... ul be pissing into the wind.

Have heard this talk of Antrim feeling inferior because other neighbouring counties get treated better.... Yes they do get treated better and get more investment but off the back of putting in the hard work under age and developing their players. Antrim is inferior because their whole set up, coaching, county board is inferior compared to the rest of ulster. All they can bring to the table is solutions to short term problems. investing money in senior set ups whilst the underage get some young boys da taking county teams for 1 year or 2 until wee jimmy goes to the next age group. How many years has it went on....