Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3540167 times)

Calm Down

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #21795 on: October 11, 2021, 09:39:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/aontroimgaa/status/1447539622364553223?s=24

Ah yeah, fair enough rules are rules, if the ball had went long perhaps it would be let go, but going short may have been the kicker

Pathetic throw is right didnít get above head height

Wasnít clear from the steam what the hop was for but from what I know that ref is pretty Ďtechnicalí when it comes to the rules so God only knows! Donít think it was too long on the kick out, was the D clear?

It looked like the st pauls player walking closest to ref was on edge of the D and not the lad receiving the ball..
The throw up was pathetic as well

Gold

• talk is cheap but it takes money to buy hot dogs..
    • View Profile
« Reply #21796 on: October 12, 2021, 12:52:39 AM »
Wasnít clear from the steam what the hop was for but from what I know that ref is pretty Ďtechnicalí when it comes to the rules so God only knows! Donít think it was too long on the kick out, was the D clear?

I can't even deal

Wouldn't know if a ball was blown up or stuffed
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

EOC1923

• View Profile
« Reply #21797 on: October 12, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »
On the quality of the minor final people need to realise its U17 now not the previous U18 and you will get that younger, more inexperienced player than was there at U18 who will make more mistakes.
Two big calls in the game - the black and red with 20 to go was very harsh (unless there was some verbals but didn't look to be). The hop ball at the end also, yeah the trailing heel of the St Pauls player may have technically been in D as the keeper kicked but jesus were dealing with 14,15,16,17 year olds here, marginal calls like that don't need to be made IMO. But that's all they are, split decisions the man in the middle makes, from knowing the ref the game was still officiated in a fair manner and technically both calls could be justified in the rule book no doubt.
Macrory not the be all and end all, certainly helps develop a player to that higher standard. Our problem is as BS may have already stated not enough clubs producing good underage players or are putting any effort to get better. Go to Tyrone, Derry you could have 5 times as many clubs that Antrim have putting in the work at underage. So for every Portglenone, Cargin they will have 10 teams doing the same or Aghagllon and St Pauls there are ten in Tyrone doing the same. The sheer volume then leads to a higher standard. It really is as simple as that.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21798 on: October 12, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »
Jim Stynes, I recall well the Derry minor team arriving in the big new chambers coach. Walked into Casement like they were the All Ireland champions they turned out to be.

I managed Portglenone one year  (09) and I wanted a coach to take us to Toome to play Creggan. It took a strong argument to get the go ahead from club committee, but they consented for our players to travel together in luxury those 15 miles. When we arrived at the pitch in Toome our big Chambers coach reversed up side by side with Creggans Chambers coach. They travelled 4 miles lol.

We had all black warm up gear, Creggan had all white. Neither side was conceding a single inch!

Looking back it was probably money wasted because St Galls were in their absolute pomp at the time. The most we were going to win was a match, but pride is what inter parish championship is all about. It's what makes our games great!

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #21799 on: October 12, 2021, 07:01:21 PM »
Jim Stynes, I recall well the Derry minor team arriving in the big new chambers coach. Walked into Casement like they were the All Ireland champions they turned out to be.

I managed Portglenone one year  (09) and I wanted a coach to take us to Toome to play Creggan. It took a strong argument to get the go ahead from club committee, but they consented for our players to travel together in luxury those 15 miles. When we arrived at the pitch in Toome our big Chambers coach reversed up side by side with Creggans Chambers coach. They travelled 4 miles lol.

We had all black warm up gear, Creggan had all white. Neither side was conceding a single inch!

Looking back it was probably money wasted because St Galls were in their absolute pomp at the time. The most we were going to win was a match, but pride is what inter parish championship is all about. It's what makes our games great!

It was also the same at the millennium games u16 tournament. We were the poor relation with no tracksuits and proper gear. We wore the free fruit of the loom yellow tops that the tournament organisers gave us. The weather was class so we cut the sleeves off the tops like Trevor Giles did around that time. By the end of the tournament all the teams did the same, trend setters lol. Great memories.

Rodger Mona

• View Profile
« Reply #21800 on: October 13, 2021, 10:18:52 AM »
Kitting players out in gear, booking them big buses, making things appear to be as professional as possible is all well and good but unless the same group have had the same approach applied to the footballing side of things. from juvenile right through to senior then no matter how big your bus, or how nice your tracksuit is.... ul be pissing into the wind.

Have heard this talk of Antrim feeling inferior because other neighbouring counties get treated better.... Yes they do get treated better and get more investment but off the back of putting in the hard work under age and developing their players. Antrim is inferior because their whole set up, coaching, county board is inferior compared to the rest of ulster. All they can bring to the table is solutions to short term problems. investing money in senior set ups whilst the underage get some young boys da taking county teams for 1 year or 2 until wee jimmy goes to the next age group. How many years has it went on....

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21801 on: October 13, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Kitting players out in gear, booking them big buses, making things appear to be as professional as possible is all well and good but unless the same group have had the same approach applied to the footballing side of things. from juvenile right through to senior then no matter how big your bus, or how nice your tracksuit is.... ul be pissing into the wind.

Have heard this talk of Antrim feeling inferior because other neighbouring counties get treated better.... Yes they do get treated better and get more investment but off the back of putting in the hard work under age and developing their players. Antrim is inferior because their whole set up, coaching, county board is inferior compared to the rest of ulster. All they can bring to the table is solutions to short term problems. investing money in senior set ups whilst the underage get some young boys da taking county teams for 1 year or 2 until wee jimmy goes to the next age group. How many years has it went on....

Guys I'm not on defending CB's I have in the past been very vocal on issues, but take a nosey on to any of these other threads from other counties in Ulster and you'll get people complaining about county boards and various other topics you are hearing here.

While those counties have some success at various levels, nobody is really happy all the time, we could be a lot better but we are a dual county with stretched needs.. The hurlers have won through to Div1 the footballers have won through to div 3, this has been the way for years, so are we to blame every county board since the 50's or do we look at ourselves and say, "are we doing enough" having a pop a the CB is easy, especially behind the keyboard, and we have some fantastic servants of Antrim teams in the past on here.

Having great ideas is brilliant, seeing them through to reality is a lot harder. If you feel passionate enough to get them across then get involved at the levels needed to make a change
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Flanker

• View Profile
« Reply #21802 on: October 13, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »

Roger hits the nail on the head

The only bit you left out was
Jimmy's Da usually moves up the age groups with Jimmy and by the time it gets to Minor there have been that many drop outs that there is next to nothing left.

The template is there
Counties with small populations can make it work and break through
Monaghan
Roscommon
Offaly

Previous quite from RM
The truth is with the exception of a small number of clubs, is that around antrim the footballing culture just isnt there! il be lambasted for saying that but the proofs in the pudding.

We have clubs from time to time who get a good set of coaches together and make a burst but find it difficult to keep it going on a sustained basis.

As BS alluded to if more clubs get the early years sorted and can keep it going on a consistent basis it will produce better outcomes.

When the foundation is there we can worry about  the Chambers Coaches & The kit (There will be a queue to sponsor)

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21803 on: October 13, 2021, 11:51:27 AM »
We go round in circles here every time this topic comes up. I've defended the "board" here as much as anyone, and been as optimistic or positive as possible, but sometime the time comes to put your hands up and say this is just stinking awful bad.

Do I honestly feel I will see an Antrim team playing Division Two football in the next ten years. No, I'm afraid I don't.

The standard of senior football is at an all time low. That's why there are 6 or 8 teams that can beat each other on any given day.

I've zero optimism for our county senior footballers atm. I've zero optimism for any Antrim school making a breakthrough. Belfast is a mess, traditional clubs can't even field a minor team, and Ireland's second largest city needs to take a good look at itself.

I can't see anything happening for years and years to be honest...unless a dozen clubs start their own revolution and take outright responsibility for bringing every potential grade A player safely through the system intact.

Every club should have its own gym and S/C programmes. It's the only way we can be certain of developing a pool of 25 good enough to play competitively at inter county level.

ck

• View Profile
« Reply #21804 on: October 13, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
We go round in circles here every time this topic comes up. I've defended the "board" here as much as anyone, and been as optimistic or positive as possible, but sometime the time comes to put your hands up and say this is just stinking awful bad.

Do I honestly feel I will see an Antrim team playing Division Two football in the next ten years. No, I'm afraid I don't.

The standard of senior football is at an all time low. That's why there are 6 or 8 teams that can beat each other on any given day.

I've zero optimism for our county senior footballers atm. I've zero optimism for any Antrim school making a breakthrough. Belfast is a mess, traditional clubs can't even field a minor team, and Ireland's second largest city needs to take a good look at itself.

I can't see anything happening for years and years to be honest...unless a dozen clubs start their own revolution and take outright responsibility for bringing every potential grade A player safely through the system intact.

Every club should have its own gym and S/C programmes. It's the only way we can be certain of developing a pool of 25 good enough to play competitively at inter county level.

Again, I agree with every word of this. Looking for quick fixes such as the McRory Cup is nonsense.

Dublin revolutionised Gaelic Football by putting coaches into clubs. Made it attractive and fun to play. Restructured clubs and put the emphasis on player numbers and good coaching. Yes it took money but this is how it'd done, through the clubs. It's just lazy to look for short cuts.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21805 on: October 13, 2021, 01:03:08 PM »
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!

Rodger Mona

• View Profile
« Reply #21806 on: October 13, 2021, 01:24:44 PM »
Lot of genuine gaels on here and men who want the best for antrim. im not having a go at anyone on the curent CB as it iv more faith in this board than i have in previous years. Im just stating the reality of the situation. I know MR2 likes the old "put your name forward if you think you could do better", (hes on his high horse because he does a bit of reffing) but I cut my clubs grass every 2nd week and help out with our committees fund raising and take underage trainings, thats my input to antrim football. I know im not the man for any of the jobs i am talking about, but thankfully for free speech im allowed to air my thoughts on here and will keep doing so. But everything that BS has stated on this topic i genuinely agree with and hes the most optimistic gael in antrim.

But lets all call a spade a spade, if business' in the county had any faith in our football set up we would have had state of the art facilities, investment in development, lots of sponsorship and we would still be playing in our county ground. We had a few holes in the bucket financially over the years and unfortunately the knock on effect has been that our juvenile and senior footballers havnt got the backing from the CB they needed to flourish...because the CB couldnt get financial backing from anywhere in the county aside from Creagh and a few others....

Tell me how our hurlers are far better equipped and set up... is the finances split or have they a completely different committee / budget?

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21807 on: October 13, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »
Totally agree CK with what you said about Dublin. It was by promoting proper in club coaching structures that brought the Dubs to a new level. As the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

I saw St Brigid's under 13s in action last night. A joy to watch, well coached, unselfish, five or six exceptionally tall physical lads for their age, and skill level of highest order for their age. I'd be sure there are several grade As there from what I saw, and those are not easily found.

It dosent need to be doom and gloom. If clubs take more responsibility and up their committment, the quality coming down the track will begin to get noticeably better.

That way schools and county squads can benefit in the knock on effect.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21808 on: October 13, 2021, 02:03:48 PM »
Roger, I often believed the hurlers got a better all round deal, but in recent years I'd say that isn't such an issue.

The money for all the necessary base level requirements are set aside for county senior hurlers and footballers. Neither Lenny nor Enda can point to any significant prevention of the tools or support the county board could offer. I think they are both on a level enough playing field as far as finance available for preparation goes.

The difference is that the hurlers got themselves very well organised. The Creagh family are all hurling daft and it's good that they are. Tony Shivers and others get actively involved because it's their passion. We can't fault that.

My view is that football people in our county deserve their lot. Not enough were prepared to stand up or say enough is enough.

You wait for the outcry, the big debate at County Committee, the rise up of club delegates, but time after time...nothing. Sometimes not even a conversation.... We learned to accept mediocrity long ago.

The only optimism I have left is when I see clubs starting to do things well. Where Gaelic Football is all that matters. Like in  Edendork or Trillick or Killyclougher or Pomeroy. Nothing there but a football pitch.

If we can drive that message home, and build in that all consuming passion and interest... then maybe the next generation can start to step out with confidence. Until then we may get used to it.

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #21809 on: October 13, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »
Take Dunloy hurlers as an example. Do Dunloy think they need to rely on schools or county development squads to make their players better. Not a chance.

They built their own facility, set up own centre of excellence, brought in own top rated S/C practitioners and most of al, treated their kids like kings from they were 6 years of age.

At no stage do they rely on a school or county led initiative to make THEIR players better.

That's the model right there as far as I can see!!
I'd be surprise if Dunloy didn't have a very supportive primary school helping getting the boys hurling and playing football. In belfast there are lots of diffferent sports pushed in schools but hopefully gaelfast will make a difference