Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Mon

Has tomorrows starting team been anounced yet?

GrandMasterFlash

Not that I know of Mid, presuming he's gonna wait till after training tonight. I can see him stickin with the same starting line-up. Coyle will probably start af FB as Longford are physically strong up front. D Hughes seemed to have made an impact when he was introduced last week so having him in reserve is an advantage. Supposedly Dick is back for this one but can't see him starting due to the fact he hasn't played much yet this year. Should be a good tough game though, Longford are never easy for Monaghan...

Mid Mon

No training tonight. they had a run out and a players meeting last night so team was probably selected then.

thebandit

I cant see many changes from last week - possibly young McManus may lose out

GrandMasterFlash

Lads, great result today. Any reports at all? Sounded like the typical Mon v Longford match, we rack up a big score, they come back at us and it's a nervy ending!! Delighted!

charlie linkbox

Typical Monaghan eh...?

We played some lovely stuff in the first half and raced to a 1-10 to 1-4 lead at half time. I don't know what happens this team at the half time interval of games but in the second half we nearly managed to blow our lead. We only scored 4 points in the second half and clung on to win by 2. This is a recurring theme with Monaghan.

That said, Longford weren't impressive. Their 2 second half goals came from a penalty and a sort of freak goal where the ball bounced off the top of the crossbar from a shot and somehow ended up in the net.

Still, we're in some position with 2 wins over two of the stronger teams in the division. If we can beat Offaly in a couple of weeks (though we have a poor record against them in the league) then we're laughing.

Up the Farney!!!

never kickt a ball

On to Breffni and Tyrone on Tuesday night Charlie in the McKenna Cup. Interesting times. Final in Healy Park next Saturday night regardless of who wins.

charlie linkbox

We'll be there or thereabouts come tomorrow night NKAB. Things are going well.
My only slight concern would be that, like last year, we'll peak too early and will have a disappointing championship. I hope this isn't the case because with Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal on the other side of the draw I believe we have a genuine chance of getting to an Ulster Final. That would be a huge boost to our county.

GrandMasterFlash

Is Eoin Lennon/Hanratty etc allowed to play in this game? I'm presuming/hoping once the group stages are over they are?

Mid Mon

Lennon and Hanratty are allowed play, but they may be rested given the fact that they'll be in action for DCU in the Sigerson on Wed.

Mid Mon

Poor showing last night but with 8 changes from sundays team and with Dick Clerkin and Gary McQuaid still to return I wouldn't be too worried.

thebandit

nrico2006

Charlie Linkbox 
QuoteWe'll be there or thereabouts come tomorrow night NKAB. Things are going well.
My only slight concern would be that, like last year, we'll peak too early and will have a disappointing championship. I hope this isn't the case because with Tyrone, Armagh and Donegal on the other side of the draw I believe we have a genuine chance of getting to an Ulster Final. That would be a huge boost to our county.

Has your views changed?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cavan4ever

Tyrone made 15 changes from the league game at weekend aswell.  They are going to be very hard stopped this year there panel is probably the strongest in the country.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 14, 2007, 02:11:18 PM
Charlie Linkbox 
QuoteWe'll be there or thereabouts come tomorrow night NKAB. Things are going well.
Has your views changed?

The atmosphere on the line last night was calm and relaxed. The match itself looked more like a competitive training session than anything else. The win suited Tyrone as it gives them an extra match to try out this 40 plus panel. Monaghan I suspect didn't mind that they were out. They have the League and Champ as a priority and will be a different proposition in both these competitions. Some Monaghan "fans" started shouting at Freeman to look for the ball and appeared to want him to work harder. What's going on there?