Digital Re-tune

Started by illdecide, September 06, 2019, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnDenver

Yeah much credit to Fionn especially for his knowledge.

I'm adopting the approach of waiting for the old frequencies to be turned off and hoping that a re-tune at that stage picks up the new ones.  Possibly blind optimism but we'll soon find out!

johnnycool

Just been quoted £170 for new aerial, diplexer and amp to pick up the new RTE channels from Clermont Carn which I though wasn't too bad....

Pub Bore

What happens if I don't get to retune before tomorrow?  I re-tuned my TV at the weekend.  The guide now shows two versions of each channel, one with a full stop and one without??

armaghniac

Quote from: Pub Bore on March 03, 2020, 01:39:04 PM
What happens if I don't get to retune before tomorrow?  I re-tuned my TV at the weekend.  The guide now shows two versions of each channel, one with a full stop and one without??

After tomorrow you'll only have one version.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

The one with the full stop is going to disappear.

Are the other ones in and around the 51, 53 mark on your freeview? If so I think they're coming from Belfast.

illdecide

Quote from: johnnycool on March 03, 2020, 03:24:50 PM

Are the other ones in and around the 51, 53 mark on your freeview? If so I think they're coming from Belfast.

Aye they're the hoors that block the live football
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

johnnycool

Quote from: illdecide on March 03, 2020, 04:08:35 PM

Aye they're the hoors that block the live football

Yip,
that's why I'm looking at spunking £170 on a new aerial to pick up the signal from Louth..

Pub Bore

No they're in the 800s

illdecide

Hi Fionntamhnach...was looking some advice off you if you have the time...I'm in North Armagh and have lost the TV3 channel (Virgin Media 1) and as everyone else the RTE 2 is now on the 52 channels where they block the live sports (big problem for me). I was reading thru one of your previous posts about filter boxes on Aerial's (211-181   A+37 to E)...how will i know what filter i need and if i need an aerial as well as a new filter box?

Sorry for sounding a bit silly but just me and new technology takes a while to filter into the brain...lol.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BennyCake

Quote from: illdecide on March 04, 2020, 11:14:12 PM
Hi Fionntamhnach...was looking some advice off you if you have the time...I'm in North Armagh and have lost the TV3 channel (Virgin Media 1) and as everyone else the RTE 2 is now on the 52 channels where they block the live sports (big problem for me). I was reading thru one of your previous posts about filter boxes on Aerial's (211-181   A+37 to E)...how will i know what filter i need and if i need an aerial as well as a new filter box?

Sorry for sounding a bit silly but just me and new technology takes a while to filter into the brain...lol.

I have RTE normal and HD working as before.

Plus I've got BBC4 HD back, and CBBC HD, Quest HD back again. Lost them after last retune. Also gained Now 70s and 80s.

JohnDenver

Retune performed and I am getting RTE1 and other channels on the 42, but I can't pick up RTE2, TG4 on the 45 channel working off the aerial below.

* Clermont Carn (Co. Louth)
Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Armagh, Down, Tyrone (East), Derry (South), Dublin (North), Antrim (South), Kildare (North)
Changing from RF Channels 52 & 56 to 42 & 45, aerial change *may* be needed.

GetOverTheBar

Retuned last night, at first I somehow manged to pick up RTE 1/2 +1 but not actually RTE2 with no TG4 either.

Retuned again after, all looks good. No RTE 1. etc.

Picked up RTE +1s which I never had before and Virgin 3 but look to have lost some freeview channels but nothing straight away noticeable that'll eat me up. It'll do.

johnnycool

Quote from: Pub Bore on March 03, 2020, 05:14:16 PM

No they're in the 800s

I can stand corrected but I thought those in the 800's were from a HD transmitter in the South whereas the 51, 53 ones were SD from Belfast and hence get blue screened out when there's something on RTE like the champions league and the broadcast rights belong to BT or whoever.

armaghniac

Do a manual tune on 42 and 45 to get Clermont, without mucking up your other stations. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

I did an auto-retune last night and the disappeared RTE HD and Virgin Media channels in the 800's returned, happy days.