Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2014, 11:06:48 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 19, 2014, 07:36:04 PM
Nice 9 mile for me this morning.
Looking forward to it all now.
Between online and offline sponsorship I've now gone over the €2000 mark now so delighted about that.
The father in law collected nearly €400 for me in the Ballinteer St Johns GAA club house the other night. I've always loved the Dubs  ;)

I am feeling inspired and definitely a touch of jealousy. Just did 21.35kms for no obvious reason other than thinking of you lads next week. I had planned a 10k and maybe more if I felt well. But I turned into Forest Gump.

Anyway, well done on the fund raising and especially the training, all your work is done now so best of luck with it.

I am not sure what technology the DCM has, can we follow your progress in real time? Or do we have to wait for you to post updates every 5k? Maybe Siri can do it for you??
There is an app or web page link or something that can track a runners progress.Just enter name or bib number I think.
I reckon you'll be well able for the Marathon next year.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

It'll all be over this time next week.

Early tip for the week ahead but anyways:

Sort out exactly what you going to wear and put it together this evening. Run in it on Wednesday, put it all on to wash, dry it and then put it all together somewhere safe wearing to change into on Monday.

Wear nothing new on the day - socks, runners, compression top, running vest, sorts etc.

Having it all sorted early in week will be one less job over weekend and avoid any last minute stresses  of running round looking your gear!

An Gaeilgoir

Looking for to Monday now, did a 12 miler yesterday, a nice easy week ahead, thank god!!

andoireabu

Any good ideas of where to park on the day?  Have to leave herself to Connolly early and then find somewhere close for the race.  Saw the Pembroke Wanderers hockey club have a park they open but other than that I wouldn't know.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

magpie seanie

Anyone have a route plan with distances? Might be able to get out on the route to cheer a few of ye on. Good luck to ye all.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 23, 2014, 03:47:19 PM
Anyone have a route plan with distances? Might be able to get out on the route to cheer a few of ye on. Good luck to ye all.
http://dublinmarathon.ie/s/SSE-AT-DM14-ROUTE-MAP-hgkz.pdf

whiskeysteve

Lads, this may have been posted but came across this on facebook, a video showing the entire marathon route for Monday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnKDmq8FPA

Great fundraising Laoislad!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Denn Forever

Best of Luck everyone.  It's only 26 miles but last 200 yards are the killer.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on October 23, 2014, 04:07:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 23, 2014, 03:47:19 PM
http://dublinmarathon.ie/s/SSE-AT-DM14-ROUTE-MAP-hgkz.pdf

Do they have toilets en route?

Also the St. John's Ambulance station at just over 2 miles in, should really be replaced with men in white coats.
MWWSI 2017

Dubh driocht

Good luck all. The route looked long even by car. With the weather likely to be mixed would you recommend a t-shirt or vest or both ?

manfromdelmonte

don't forget cream and gels on the vital bits

chaffing is a killer

Mayo4Sam

Can't wait to get it outta the way!

Donehy & Nesbitts afterwards if anyone fancies a pint!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Few bits of advice for everyone on Monday which you might not have heard before  ;D

It's bumper to bumper for the first 4 miles...expect it so don't stress when you are watching legs ahead of you like a hawk not to trip or going round bends..
That said, no need for a massive warm up..nothing more than usual..don't be wasting energy jumping up and down on the start line which is essentially just nervous energy...
Bring a wide ( :)) topped bottle to whizz for the start line...porta jacks are always a disaster and no doubt you'll have a few nerve dribbles before the gun...
Control in first half absolutely vital, don't get whipped up by the crowd in early stages...you'll suffer in every way later if you do.
Few things will match the satisfaction when it's done..so yes, no matter how bad a state you are in around 22-23...it is worth it!
I'm in a meeting at 9.45 on Monday for I don't know how long but if anyone who's running that wants to PM me their bib number..be nice to keep an eye on ye!

laoislad

Another bit of advice.
Don't tell the wife that the last 6 miles of a Marathon will probably be worse than child birth.
She won't appreciate it...... :-[

Bingo

Sound advice as always BM.

As LL will testify from his 10mile run in the Park 10miler, no matter how well and strong you feel at the start, watch your pace and save the legs. Everyone is saying that the opening half is the tough one on this years course with the uphill sections and the long drag up into and through the park on Chesterfield Avenue, so while this won't trouble you at the time, too much effort on it to maintain your pace will cost you later. So keep an eye on the pace!

Heading to the expo tomorrow myself, get it done and dusted.

Had a dream last night that I was driving and suddenly the red light came on and was out of diesel before I got to a filling station! I'm sure its a metaphor for hitting the wall on Monday  :-[  >:(