muppet

Quote from: JimStynes on April 06, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
4.34 official time

Fair play, some going with a sore knee.

MWWSI 2017

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2014, 03:48:51 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 06, 2014, 03:36:06 PM
Finished! Have to check official results later. Completely brutal. Clean aching from the get go, knee was killing me from the first 5k marker! Finished the b**tard though! Managed to run to 18 mile then I had to walk/shuffle from there. I reckon iT was around 4.40 sort of time! What a place to do a marathon tho. Support the whole way around was something else! Proper update tomorrow!

Fair fcuks Jim, you're a stubborn cnut that's for sure.

Just back from the Titanic Quarter 10k beat my PB and my target of 43 beat also with a time of 42.45!! Boom. Christ the wind was mental near the finish, last K was like running into a turbine. Great event and well supported.
Brilliant - well done MR2.

JimStynes

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2014, 07:38:35 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 06, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
4.34 official time
After walking the last 8miles? I'd say that's a damn impressive time. I'd be delighted with it! Fair play to you.

I flew through the first 15! Looked up and saw the 3.45 pacers and decided to slow down! Pain was to much after 18 so did a walk/shuffle into the line.

magpie seanie

When I saw Bekele won Paris all i could think was "wonder how Jim Stynes did?" Feckin gas this thread, has you routing for folk you never met. Well done Jim, you're tough.

Great running by MR2 and CD. Times I'd only dream of for 10k.

Speaking of myself got back out today after a 12 day break due to a nasty virus and stomach bug (lost half a stone). Ran terribly. Same run 12 days ago (7k) took me nearly 4 minutes less. Was expecting a bit of a drop off but the run today was chronic. Had been in great form and was targetting a good 5k time in a race next Saturday but might have to curb my expectation.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on April 06, 2014, 06:55:47 PM
Just back from the Titanic Quarter 10k beat my PB and my target of 43 beat also with a time of 42.45!! Boom. Christ the wind was mental near the finish, last K was like running into a turbine. Great event and well supported.
It was a strong wind alright - tough at 3-4 as well MR! Very good event - finished around 46.20 or so. Won't be sure until the times go up. Was happy with that and felt I had a minute in the tank at least.
Great running - super PB!
[/quote]

Was trying to explain the wind factor to friends and they were yeah right!! It nearly stopped me at one point, I started way to fast, no pacers at the race so was reliant on the Garmin which worked well. finished in position 149, loads of ones sprint finishing I couldn't as I kicked on at the last k and had nothing left for the last quarter.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Well done JimStynes. You're clearly a stubborn guy!! Have been somewhere similar myself only in a half marathon.

Some good 10k times. People I know who were at the sharper end were slower by over a minute due to the wind.

Nearly made the 30 miles last week though not quite! Back to doing sessions this week though.

BM - how long till Boston? Can't be long now(it is boston isn't it?!) I know it must be soon enough as a boy I know doing it and it's plastered all over facebook.

Some run by Bekele yesterday. London should be good this weekend. Prepare to see Mo Farah get his ass handed to him on a plate. I hope he doesn't to be honest but think he will.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 06, 2014, 10:38:40 PM
When I saw Bekele won Paris all i could think was "wonder how Jim Stynes did?" Feckin gas this thread, has you routing for folk you never met. Well done Jim, you're tough.

Great running by MR2 and CD. Times I'd only dream of for 10k.

Speaking of myself got back out today after a 12 day break due to a nasty virus and stomach bug (lost half a stone). Ran terribly. Same run 12 days ago (7k) took me nearly 4 minutes less. Was expecting a bit of a drop off but the run today was chronic. Had been in great form and was targetting a good 5k time in a race next Saturday but might have to curb my expectation.

Never underestimate how much that would have taken out of you plus 12 days break, so 4mins will be nothing in the grander scheme. The plus point is that you will get back to where you were in no time, 2/3 more runs and it be like you never away.

imtommygunn

Also when you're training try to focus more on effort levels than time - times in your training aren't really that significant. Tiredness / circumstances like sickness etc will always factor and you won't feel the same from one day to the next.

I do the same 7 mile loop twice a week and my times vary by a few minutes on it. I try to do it at a certain heart rate though so don't let the times bother me.

It's tempos / races etc you should worry about times. Times in training mean you will likely race each run and then you're going to fast to get maximum fitness benefit.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 07, 2014, 11:28:55 AM
Also when you're training try to focus more on effort levels than time - times in your training aren't really that significant. Tiredness / circumstances like sickness etc will always factor and you won't feel the same from one day to the next.

I do the same 7 mile loop twice a week and my times vary by a few minutes on it. I try to do it at a certain heart rate though so don't let the times bother me.

It's tempos / races etc you should worry about times. Times in training mean you will likely race each run and then you're going to fast to get maximum fitness benefit.

Very true and was something I would have done on my first marathon training programme. Ever run was run at a pace I thought I should be running at or rather could run at. More control or predetermined pace on the training runs really help.

Can be difficult to set that though. Sometimes its just easier to run and enjoy it if you are running irregularly.

imtommygunn

Yeah I think it's about viewing training as a bigger picture if you're training for something.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 07, 2014, 11:13:54 AM
BM - how long till Boston? Can't be long now(it is boston isn't it?!) I know it must be soon enough as a boy I know doing it and it's plastered all over facebook.
2 weeks today.
Ran a 8km race down west yesterday. Try to control it as much as I could and keep the splits even. Finished 2nd in 27.46, if I had another 2km would have fancied my chances of catching 1st who came in 20 seconds ahead. Calf started to grab a little in the last km so didn't do anything stupid and took foot off the gas.
Flying over on Friday week with about other 50 Irish entrants. Should be good buzz, heading to Fenway on the Saturday.

imtommygunn

I think there's a belfast-boston charity group set up so should be a right few going over from Belfast. One the boys who is going over has run 28 and a half for a 10k (yes a 10k) on the track. He's not in that kind of shape now though!

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2014, 11:23:43 PM
It was a strong wind alright - tough at 3-4 as well MR! Very good event - finished around 46.20 or so. Won't be sure until the times go up. Was happy with that and felt I had a minute in the tank at least.

Was trying to explain the wind factor to friends and they were yeah right!! It nearly stopped me at one point, I started way to fast, no pacers at the race so was reliant on the Garmin which worked well. finished in position 149, loads of ones sprint finishing I couldn't as I kicked on at the last k and had nothing left for the last quarter.
[/quote]
I managed 25.56! Delighted with that - had hoped for 47 or thereabouts. Had a fair bit in the tank as well. Think I can knock 2 minutes of that with a bit of work. Identical for both 5ks so have it in the legs - just not the head! First 10k in 6 years so need a bit more practise.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Bingo

Quote from: CD on April 07, 2014, 05:07:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2014, 11:23:43 PM

I managed 25.56! Delighted with that - had hoped for 47 or thereabouts. Had a fair bit in the tank as well. Think I can knock 2 minutes of that with a bit of work. Identical for both 5ks so have it in the legs - just not the head! First 10k in 6 years so need a bit more practise.
[/quote]

That's some time and PB well and truly smashed  ;)

Milltown Row2

Does this happen a lot?

Was doing the 10k on Sunday, before the start i was chatting to the usual suspects that I know who do Tri's, lads who go to the local gym and having some banter with others, noticed a lad that lives nearby, kids and same school as mine and so on. He's very good at the Tris and in a tri club, would be strong runner. Anyways he was at the start of the race and I was about 4 deep behind him, after two miles I passed him as he stopped and was in trouble (probably went to quick)

So I finished the race mentioned to the wife I seen this lad and she said aye he was standing with them explaining why he finished after 2 miles, so, I was at circuits this morning and friend was asking how I'd done, he said that (this guy who stopped) finished the race on 36 minutes!!! WTF why would someone give a bareface lie, knowing that these things are chipped and a lot of people from clubs would have seen him dandering back!! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea