Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on February 16, 2014, 01:09:25 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 10:15:22 AM
Fair play magpie. I remember you saying a few months ago you didn't think you'd break 1hr for 10k but you're right on course to do that with your 8k time.

I went out this morning for first time in 2 weeks and struggled through a 5k. Would not going out for a few weeks really have that much of a effect on you? I had done a few 18k a few weeks ago and was barely able finish the 5 today.

It's always tougher after a break but it should come back to you quick enough once you get into the routine again. I've been much the same myself, very irregular running this last while and nothing during week. The Saturdays have been a hard slog.

Going to get back regular and push the distance out. The senior team in the club where doing running on the track today, so joined them today. Good tight session all speed work and left some if the younger lads trailing behind. When they finished up with two circuits of core work I did suffer though!!

Just get back at it LL and you'll be back to your mark in no time. It's like running a motor after the car has been parked up for a while, just takes a few run ours to clean the pipes. Maybe slow down and not worry about doing the pace you were doing for a run or two.
My heart has been beating really fast since I got back which is nearly 5 hours ago. Felt a bit dizzy earlier too after the run.
That can't be normal I'm guessing.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 01:44:49 PM
Fair play magpie. I remember you saying a few months ago you didn't think you'd break 1hr for 10k but you're right on course to do that with your 8k time.

I went out this morning for first time in 2 weeks and struggled through a 5k. Would not going out for a few weeks really have that much of a effect on you? I had done a few 18k a few weeks ago and was barely able finish the 5 today.

It's always tougher after a break but it should come back to you quick enough once you get into the routine again. I've been much the same myself, very irregular running this last while and nothing during week. The Saturdays have been a hard slog.

Going to get back regular and push the distance out. The senior team in the club where doing running on the track today, so joined them today. Good tight session all speed work and left some if the younger lads trailing behind. When they finished up with two circuits of core work I did suffer though!!

Just get back at it LL and you'll be back to your mark in no time. It's like running a motor after the car has been parked up for a while, just takes a few run ours to clean the pipes. Maybe slow down and not worry about doing the pace you were doing for a run or two.
My heart has been beating really fast since I got back which is nearly 5 hours ago. Felt a bit dizzy earlier too after the run.
Wouldn't be great, any improvement at all? Have you been sick recently?

Irish indoors on RTE2 at 3 if anyone is interested. From new Athlone track, looks like a quality facility.

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 01:44:49 PM

Get it checked out. The dizziness itself is concerning. Does not sound normal and I m guessing it hasn t happen you before.

laoislad

Haven't been sick no. Dizziness didn't last long but the heart is still beating a little fast but not as bad as it was. It was beating very fast nearly to the point it was hurting.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 02:09:46 PM
Haven't been sick no. Dizziness didn't last long but the heart is still beating a little fast but not as bad as it was. It was beating very fast nearly to the point it was hurting.
As Moy said, no harm getting it looked at by the doc. Just to be safe.

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 02:09:46 PM

Is it irregular?

I think you should check it out today.

A doctor/runner friend of mine once told a group of us that dizziness during exercise could be an indicator of a problem. Not trying to alarm you, and you sound concerned, but not wise to leave it.

Bingo

No harm getting looked, better safe than sorry. You could have something coming on that you don't know about yet eg cold, flu, viral infection and the body already fighting it, the stress of the run will empty the body.

The dizziness could also be caused by dehydration? Lack of sugar?

I went for a run one morning a good while back, done about 1km or so warm up and we were meeting a few other lads for hill runs. We were first there, I felt uneasy and leaned against a gate and next I know, I'm waking up on my back and the brother is leaning over me shouting. Turned out to be nothing but always worth looking into these.

laoislad

Thanks lads I might go see Doc tomorrow.I'm one for leaving it to see how I feel later even though I know that's stupid! It was more light headed than full out dizzy.
As I said I didn't feel great whilst running either and really struggled to finish but was too stubborn to stop.
I know if I really want to do this Marathon I really should go checked out before I start training for it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on February 16, 2014, 03:07:10 PM
Thanks lads I might go see Doc tomorrow.I'm one for leaving it to see how I feel later even though I know that's stupid! It was more light headed than full out dizzy.
As I said I didn't feel great whilst running either and really struggled to finish but was too stubborn to stop.
I know if I really want to do this Marathon I really should go checked out before I start training for it.

Always worrying when something out of the norm happens, I would get the light headiness but it's down to sprinting the last part of the run. As someone has mentioned irregular heart beat causes the things you've mentioned so would get it checked just in case
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

This happened in one of my earlier attempts with C25K. I performed well below what I had been doing, felt dizzy and low on energy.

I went to the doc. She suspected it was merely dehydration.

I stopped running for a while and it never came back.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

I did my first spin class this wk, finished the class, got off the bike, then got really light headed and queasy - had to go and sit down, nearly blacked out. I hadn't eaten a bite all day though and prob only had 2 cups of coffee all day. Definite dehydration and lack of food!

I went for a run today, planned on 8k, knew there was a hill (of about 100m) that I hate about the 7k mark, so I ended up running on and doing an extra 3k, probably longer hills too, just to avoid it. I suppose it was a win-win. At least I know I will be able to struggle through that Downpatrick 10k next month.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 16, 2014, 04:42:48 PM

I did my first spin class this wk, finished the class, got off the bike, then got really light headed and queasy - had to go and sit down, nearly blacked out. I hadn't eaten a bite all day though and prob only had 2 cups of coffee all day. Definite dehydration and lack of food!

I went for a run today, planned on 8k, knew there was a hill (of about 100m) that I hate about the 7k mark, so I ended up running on and doing an extra 3k, probably longer hills too, just to avoid it. I suppose it was a win-win. At least I know I will be able to struggle through that Downpatrick 10k next month.

You doing the Jimmy ten then Rois? Doing it also and looking forward to it, Yeah spin can leave you like that if you haven't eaten beforehand, plus if you knocked your pan it during it then you should feel fecked afters!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Yes, think so MR2 - haven't run 10k since Lisburn last June! The description here of the big hill at the start is somewhat offputting but I guess better that it's at the start...
Mr Rois-to-be's friend lives in Downpatrick so has us roped into doing it.

Spin was def a great workout, sweated so much. I just need to make sure I have some sugar in me and plenty of water. I plan on putting a bit more into it tomorrow, was just getting used to increasing resistance while cycling and remembering not to bounce on the pedals!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on February 16, 2014, 05:27:32 PM
Yes, think so MR2 - haven't run 10k since Lisburn last June! The description here of the big hill at the start is somewhat offputting but I guess better that it's at the start...
Mr Rois-to-be's friend lives in Downpatrick so has us roped into doing it.

Spin was def a great workout, sweated so much. I just need to make sure I have some sugar in me and plenty of water. I plan on putting a bit more into it tomorrow, was just getting used to increasing resistance while cycling and remembering not to bounce on the pedals!

That's key lol. Where is your classes

Rois

Started at a place near Derriaghy, classes only, called Pure Class Fitness, because I'm living over in Dunmurry now. Part of the pre-marriage compromise!