The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/sep/23/leeds-united-marcelo-bielsa-win-fifa-fair-play-award-aston-villa-equaliser

Leeds United and their manager, Marcelo Bielsa, have won the 2019 Fifa Fair Play Award at the governing body's annual award ceremony in Milan.

The Championship side won the award after Bielsa ordered his team to let Aston Villa score an equaliser at Elland Road in April. Mateusz Klich had put Leeds ahead while Villa forward Jonathan Kodjia was down with an injury.

Klich's goal led to a melee between both sets of players, with Anwar El Ghazi sent off for the visitors. When play restarted, Albert Adomah was allowed to run through and level the game – although defender Pontus Jansson still tried and failed to tackle the Villa winger....

Rufus T Firefly

I'll probably regret posting here, as the team have been going great recently with little talk on this thread, and my post will likely put the scud on them.

Great winning run came to an abrupt end at home to Cardiff when we spurned a three goal lead, shipping 3 goals in thirty minutes when we had only conceded four at home, all season.

Christmas and New Year is going to be huge, starting with Fulham away this weekend. There are home games against Preston and Wednesday and an away trip to West Brom on New Year's Day. I'm probably being very optimistic, but if we could retain the gap of ten points between us and third by the time we go to Arsenal in the Cup, then we will have done brilliantly! 

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 19, 2019, 07:57:53 AM
I'll probably regret posting here, as the team have been going great recently with little talk on this thread, and my post will likely put the scud on them.

Great winning run came to an abrupt end at home to Cardiff when we spurned a three goal lead, shipping 3 goals in thirty minutes when we had only conceded four at home, all season.

Christmas and New Year is going to be huge, starting with Fulham away this weekend. There are home games against Preston and Wednesday and an away trip to West Brom on New Year's Day. I'm probably being very optimistic, but if we could retain the gap of ten points between us and third by the time we go to Arsenal in the Cup, then we will have done brilliantly!

I regret it for you already, Rufus.  Happy Christmas.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lurganblue

Surely not another Leeds after Christmas collapse this year lads.  Loaning a striker in Jan would go a long way to securing top two. Someone like Gayle maybe....

shark

Leeds and West Brom will canter to automatic promotion. The points tally they got last year for 3rd and 4th place would have them finishing 1st and 2nd this time around. 33 points from their remaining 24 games would be enough for Leeds. None of the chasing pack are consistent (or good) enough.
Playoff chase will be interesting at least.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 19, 2019, 09:07:40 AM
I regret it for you already, Rufus.  Happy Christmas.

Ha ha, Billy!!   ;D

Happy Christmas to you and the family, my friend!! Hope it's a good one!! 

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: shark on December 19, 2019, 11:42:13 AM
Leeds and West Brom will canter to automatic promotion. The points tally they got last year for 3rd and 4th place would have them finishing 1st and 2nd this time around. 33 points from their remaining 24 games would be enough for Leeds. None of the chasing pack are consistent (or good) enough.

Your confidence in Leeds is making me nervous!!   :-X

shark

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 19, 2019, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: shark on December 19, 2019, 11:42:13 AM

Your confidence in Leeds is making me nervous!!   :-X

Just my unemotional, unbiased view. I couldn't care less who gets promoted. It's a great league - but this season seems much less competitive at the top than last season.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: shark on December 19, 2019, 02:53:33 PM
Just my unemotional, unbiased view. I couldn't care less who gets promoted. It's a great league - but this season seems much less competitive at the top than last season.

I think the next two weeks will give an insight into how competitive the rest of the season will be. Leeds have a tough run of fixtures and my fear would be dropping points and being pulled back into the pack. If we can emerge relatively unscathed and get dumped out of the FA Cup (which is more or less a given), then for once some optimism might be justified. *

*I know I shouldn't have said that!!   :-\

Billys Boots

I'll be looking for these quotes in April, Rufus. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

1-1 v West Brom and the peleton well behind
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on January 01, 2020, 07:25:17 PM
1-1 v West Brom and the peleton well behind

Unfortunately though the peleton invariably catches the breakaway. The lead is nine points back to Forest, who have a game in hand. We also have to travel to Forest and indeed to Brentford, who are also making a good run.

The rollercoaster ride at Birmingham was heart stopping stuff and was a victory down to the absolute character of Luke Ayling who refused to consider anything but victory. However it papered over a very indifferent performance from a small squad that is getting dangerously thin with injuries.

Eddie Nketiah is away back to Arsenal and will need replaced, although I'm not bemoaning his absence as much as I thought I might up to a few weeks ago. We need a good forward. Jack Clarke is away back to Spurs and is but a pale shadow of the player he was 12 months ago.

Long road still ahead.

SLIGONIAN

Has to be automatic. The difference with last year is the chasing pack are slipping up. Forest away is huge in early Feb.

For me Dallas and Ayling are playing like warriors at the minute, and wont settle for anything less than wins. Talk of getting ched evans on loan from Southamptom. I am still not convinced by Bamford. There will be a few twists and turns yet but if we can get Forshaw and Hernandez back soon would be a huge boost.

Looking forward to see how we do against Arsenal, a tougher game than it would have been a few weeks ago, Leeds bringing 9,000.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 03, 2020, 08:28:04 PM
Talk of getting ched evans on loan from Southamptom.

Ha ha - made the same mistake myself recently. Che Adams and I think he would be a good signing. Also getting linked with Luke Freeman at Sheffield United, although I'd be surprised if Wilder would help us if he could possible avoid it. Also talk of Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley for £6.5 million fee. Hopefully this talk gives some sense of the determination not to repeat the mistakes of 12 months ago.