All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Anyway, congrats to Dublin on their win. I thought it was a fantastic occasion - the atmosphere was brilliant, the weather was great.
When Mayo went two up in the second half I truly believed they would win. Can't fault the Mayo players, they gave it everything and did very little wrong and came out on the wrong side of a one-point game again - very harsh on them.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyCake

Without sounding like I'm disrespectful Mayo... but people belittle Armagh's one All Ireland, great teams win more than one etc. And while it could easily have worked out better or worse for us in terms of AI's, the one we did win brought so much joy to the county (two would have brought more. But anyway...)

But it would be a real shame if this Mayo team came so close and were remembered for not winning any AI titles.

I hope Mayo do go on and win that AI title with this team. Their efforts have merited it.

criostlinn

Quote from: dublin7 on September 18, 2017, 09:05:41 PM
This thread is 58 pages long with ridiculous posts from Mayo fans yet none have mentioned Lee Keegan's disgraceful action throwing his GPS at Dean Rock. If that was a Dublin player there would be calls for a firing squad. Disgusting and deserves a lengthy ban.

The dubs have achieved a phenomenonal achievement of 3 in a row but for some fucked up reason itt all about Mayo losing and not the dubs

Probably no mention of it because he didn't throw it at Rock. He threw it at the ball. Not ideal but hardly a lot worse then the carry on with the goalkeepers kicking tees or a lot of other incidents in the match.

This Dublin obsession with Lee Keegan has got totally out of hand. All over social media again today, all these gobshites, most of who have probably never even seen a match feel its ok to abuse and say what ever they want about him. Some even giving out that he had the cheek to fistpump into the hill half full with Mayo people after scoring the goal.

Just enjoy your victory and the great achievement of the Dublin team.

Kurtz

Quote from: BennyCake on September 19, 2017, 09:32:24 AM
Without sounding like I'm disrespectful Mayo... but people belittle Armagh's one All Ireland, great teams win more than one etc. And while it could easily have worked out better or worse for us in terms of AI's, the one we did win brought so much joy to the county (two would have brought more. But anyway...)

But it would be a real shame if this Mayo team came so close and were remembered for not winning any AI titles.

I hope Mayo do go on and win that AI title with this team. Their efforts have merited it.

Mayo will be back next year
They are too strong for anyone in Connacht and know how to win in Croke Park

TheGreatest

I wouldn't read most of the nonsense posted here by ignorance hate filled fools.

Dublin's toughest match this decade, and still came out on top, all odds stacked against them, the country against them and still did it. Heart and passion with naturally gifted skill that cant be developed. Role models, gentlemen, proper Gaels, good GAA and club men, led by a great General. Greatest team of all time, it wont last forever but will always been in the history books. Setting the standard on and off the pitch how to go about being great.

Hard luck Mayo, highest scoring losing finalists ever, did everything right and unlucky, you lost by 1 to the greatest team ever. Heads up, go again, what else can you do.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 19, 2017, 09:47:45 AM
I wouldn't read most of the nonsense posted here by ignorance hate filled fools.

Dublin's toughest match this decade, and still came out on top, all odds stacked against them, the country against them and still did it. Heart and passion with naturally gifted skill that cant be developed. Role models, gentlemen, proper Gaels, good GAA and club men, led by a great General. Greatest team of all time, it wont last forever but will always been in the history books. Setting the standard on and off the pitch how to go about being great.

Hard luck Mayo, highest scoring losing finalists ever, did everything right and unlucky, you lost by 1 to the greatest team ever. Heads up, go again, what else can you do.

All odds stacked against them - Give me a break!

vallankumous

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 19, 2017, 09:47:45 AM

When you started with that I thought the rest could only get better. it didn't.

mup

Quote from: criostlinn on September 19, 2017, 09:40:18 AM
This thread is 58 pages long with ridiculous posts from Mayo fans yet none have mentioned Lee Keegan's disgraceful action throwing his GPS at Dean Rock. If that was a Dublin player there would be calls for a firing squad. Disgusting and deserves a lengthy ban.

The dubs have achieved a phenomenonal achievement of 3 in a row but for some fucked up reason itt all about Mayo losing and not the dubs

Probably no mention of it because he didn't throw it at Rock. He threw it at the ball. Not ideal but hardly a lot worse then the carry on with the goalkeepers kicking tees or a lot of other incidents in the match.

This Dublin obsession with Lee Keegan has got totally out of hand. All over social media again today, all these gobshites, most of who have probably never even seen a match feel its ok to abuse and say what ever they want about him. Some even giving out that he had the cheek to fistpump into the hill half full with Mayo people after scoring the goal.

This x 10.

Congrats to Dublin on a great victory but some of the bitching by some Dubs on social media and indeed on here stinks to be honest. The name calling of Lee Keegan for throwing a GPS Tracker is laughable when you see what some of their own have done down through the years.

Lessons in humility for some (not too far away) wouldn't go amiss.

Well done to Dublin. A brilliant achievement by a brilliant team. It's better we leave the other debates to another time.

theyellowbus

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 08:50:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 18, 2017, 08:37:14 PM
Happened to be in the Citywest hotel today with work and it would have broke your heart to see those lads get on the bus to head home... fair play to the fans that stayed and tried to raise their spirits but it was like a morgue. They might make it back but you can only put your body and mind through the mill so many times

I honestly don't get this stuff.

I don't feel a bit sorry for the Mayo players, or their supporters. Lads in Ballagh I know were apparently in tears coming out, so was Rochford obviously. I've seen my county lose every single year, and 31 other counties besides Mayo fail every single championship as well. I had to watch for 60 plus minutes as my county played out a lost match in Croke Park against their biggest rivals, a week after nearly beating the same opponents. That was a much more crushing experience than losing to the best team in the sport by a single point. So what? This is the nature of support. You embrace both sides or you embrace none at all.

You suck it the fĂșck up and come back again next year. That's sport and getting lost in the emotion of Mayo's continual failure as if it isn't something nearly every other county experiences every year is the aspect of all this back-patting that gets lost. Whether you lose the AI by a point, or lose the first round of the Qualifiers by 20, you're still ending the year as a loser. Getting to a final qualifies you for no special treatment and Mayo would understand that better than most.

Last year, and this year, Mayo brought the losses on themselves. that's not me being hard-hearted, it's simply a fact. There's far more deserving counties than Mayo to break your heart over, because they have it better than all but a single county.

The above is possibly the biggest load of bull I've read in a while and actually proves to me that you know SFA about the game.Only someone who has never played the game at any level would come out with that rubbish.
To even compare the heartbreak Mayo fans suffered on Sunday to what we had to witness Bank Holiday Monday is like comparing a Audi R8 to a Nissan Micra.
Was i upset when we got tanked that day?Yes in the kind of way your six way accum is let down by a 92nd minute equaliser its par for the course but the hope of maybe it coming up the next day is why you don't think about it too much.
I'm no fan of Mayo and the amount of times i've had to walk out of Castlebar in the last 30 years after being hammered and the sneers and jibes is all par for the course but only a stone hearted non gael wouldn't feel for every Mayo person yesterday.
I cant even imagine the hurt that supporters felt never mind the whole squad and management.Stephen Rochford is a proud Mayo man and has possibly given every last bit of his life and his families life over the last two years to the cause of Mayo winning an All Ireland.If he wants to show his emotion as a man who actually cares about Mayo football then he has every right too.The sacrifices this group have put in over the last number of years is beyond anything me,you or any normal gael can comprehend.
You have done nothing but make jibes towards Rochford and numerous Mayo players safe in the knowledge that your little vendettas against anything Mayo are still burning brightly after Sunday.
If Mayo had won there wouldn't be one word from you on this thread only maybe complaining about how the ref favoured Mayo or some other concoction in your head that they were lucky to win.
You will come back with some other rubbish about playing the man and not the ball but guess what i did it in many's a match and i didn't blink so its not going to have much effect on me now.
The thing is you never played at any level id safely say to experience what its like to be part of a group and experience the highs and the lows of a championship winning/losing side.
To lose a final after so much commitment and sacrifice at any level whether junior or inter county is possibly the worst feeling you can imagine because its not the loss you feel personally but its the loss that your parish or club or county has to take and the sense of comradry that in some way you have all lost something that at that  moment in time you think you will never win.Its the pure rawness of sport and is felt more when you are involved its more than human in a sense its almost spiritual.

magpie seanie

Quote from: mup on September 19, 2017, 10:05:15 AM

This x 10.

Congrats to Dublin on a great victory but some of the bitching by some Dubs on social media and indeed on here stinks to be honest. The name calling of Lee Keegan for throwing a GPS Tracker is laughable when you see what some of their own have done down through the years.

Well done to Dublin. A brilliant achievement by a brilliant team. It's better we leave the other debates to another time.

If you think they were the only ones you're badly mistaken. There were and are many examples on both sides out there. Loads of anonymous trolls who just need to be ignored. Not easy, especially when you're hurting but you should try.

Mayo would have several All Irelands in the last 20-30 years if their level of physical and mental preparation and self analysis in that time matched today. They're very unfortunate to come up against the best side I've ever seen at closing out tight games. Possibly the best side ever.

magpie seanie

Excellent post theyellowbus.

Free speech has its downsides.

magpie seanie

Quote from: pbat on September 19, 2017, 09:13:11 AM
There has been a lot talked about and been wrote on the age of the Mayo which is justified I totally understand it. 

But the Dubs required 4 subs on Sunday over 30 ( Flynn, Connolly, Mc Manamon and Brogan) to get them over the line.Add to this that by next years championship the ages of the players below:
Cluxton 36,
O Suvillian 30,
Daly 30,
Mc Mahon 31,
Bastick 37,
Mc Auley 32,
Andrews 30,
O Gara 32

They can probably go to the well maybe another two years but with all the resources can they replace this level of talent going forward if they start losing them en masse. 

Con O Callaghan is exceptional player, I like Lowndes and Costello but beyond that have they players to continue there dominance long term?

Will they be a Kerry of the 70's/80's, Meath late 80's/Early 90's, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal of 2012. Great teams of there times that came together but ran the course together and died as a team together.  It took Kerry 15 years to recover, Meath, Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal have never really recovered.

There is a lot of discussion about Dublin's money, resources and facilities which I get and buy into to some extent. But I also believe this is a case of an exceptionally talented bunch of lads coming together at the same time and in a few years they wont be the dominant team they have been.

I thought Philly looked well below where he has been previously this year. I'd say he'll be phased out next season unless he can get back to form. Andrews is replaceable also. Hasn't really been a massive threat, think Dublin have better lads to come in and do a job. Cluxton should be fine for another few years. No reason why he wouldn't be. None of the others really had much impact this season, particularly in the championship.

Dublin have done a good job of phasing out a lot of those guys already and I'm pretty sure they'll have a few more lads in the pipeline.

mup

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2017, 10:23:19 AM
Quote from: mup on September 19, 2017, 10:05:15 AM

This x 10.

If you think they were the only ones you're badly mistaken. There were and are many examples on both sides out there. Loads of anonymous trolls who just need to be ignored. Not easy, especially when you're hurting but you should try.

Mayo would have several All Irelands in the last 20-30 years if their level of physical and mental preparation and self analysis in that time matched today. They're very unfortunate to come up against the best side I've ever seen at closing out tight games. Possibly the best side ever.

But it should be easy when you are not hurting. Dublin won and still feel the need to call the likes of Lee Keegan a 'sc**bag' for throwing a GPS Tracker. I mean come on he threw a GPS Tracker. He didn't maim someone.

Let me add that the majority of winning fans are brilliant. However some are a horrible horrible bunch. We have one of two on here goading etc who should really just smile, happy in the knowledge that their team are the three in a row champions. No need for it at all.

AZOffaly

In fairness Keegan was lousy to do that. Fair play to Rock for keeping his cool, but Keegan went down in my estimation for doing that. To even think of taking the tracker out of it's slot and throwing it at him is fairly desperate.

Tubberman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 19, 2017, 10:37:19 AM
In fairness Keegan was lousy to do that. Fair play to Rock for keeping his cool, but Keegan went down in my estimation for doing that. To even think of taking the tracker out of it's slot and throwing it at him is fairly desperate.

That's exactly what it was - desperation.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."