Lough Derg Pilgrimage

Started by BennyCake, May 08, 2016, 10:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Got into a conversation over the weekend about doing the Lough Derg pilgrimage in Donegal. My first reaction was balls to that, as I'm not exactly the most religious catholic in the country and running around in my bare feet doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. But later I thought maybe it might be something to consider. One of those things to experience and to say you've done that. Maybe just the one day thing though.

Just wondered if anyone has done it, and would like to share their experience.

armaghniac

I haven't done it, but have heard it is a great place to meet a woman.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2016, 10:25:55 PM

A woman or many women?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on May 08, 2016, 11:01:00 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2016, 10:25:55 PM

A woman or many women?

I think the idea is that you meet many, but only sit beside one on the bus home.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

leenie

I've done loug derg 3 years in row ( which apparently is a direct route up)
The first year I done it was because of bet .. You don't have to b religious .. It's psychological but it is extremely tough, I didn't mind the no food part or the no sleep It's the beds ( not comfy duvet types but are the stones that have been there 500 plus years) are killers if you've bad knees ..

What I tell anyone is yes it's v tough but the feeling you get coming back on the boat is fantastic .. For those 2 half days your away from the world .. But if the weather is good the midges would eat you alive.
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Main Street

Quote from: leenie on May 09, 2016, 01:34:45 PM
I've done loug derg 3 years in row ( which apparently is a direct route up)
The first year I done it was because of bet .. You don't have to b religious .. It's psychological but it is extremely tough, I didn't mind the no food part or the no sleep It's the beds ( not comfy duvet types but are the stones that have been there 500 plus years) are killers if you've bad knees ..

What I tell anyone is yes it's v tough but the feeling you get coming back on the boat is fantastic .. For those 2 half days your away from the world .. But if the weather is good the midges would eat you alive.
Does that not depend upon who's sitting beside you?

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Beffs

My parents both did it when they were a lot younger. They weren't especially religious, but they still did it regularly. They said that while it was physically very tough, the sleep deprivation, dehydration and hunger produced some sort of endorphin type adrenaline rush at the end, that was incredible. They were on a high going home, that lasted for days. They gave it up, once the bad backs and creaky knees of middle age kicked in.