FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2017, 01:42:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2017, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 17, 2017, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 17, 2017, 12:42:27 PM

We should be abusing the parentage rule more, not less. Ffs, take Arter, McCarthy, Christie out and we'd be removing most of the half young, half decent players in the fúcking squad. Jon Walters when fit was still a damn sight better than No Goals Murphy or Long.

People only remember results, not accents.

McCarthy, Christie  and decent in the same sentence??  Walters wasn't bad in fairness.
But if we abuse the parentage rule (even) more, we might end up with a completely bastardised international team, highly unrepresentative of our nation. Maybe bite the bullet now while we have time and space to do so, develop what young home-grown talent we have and see where it takes us. Iceland, though no oil painting on the eye, did this with less resources and made progress.

McCarthy at his best is our best midfielder. The current Irish system totally bypasses midfield play of any kind and operates with midfield playing as if it were a second defense.

Nothing bastardised about giving yourself the best shot to win. People seem to forget how many of the heroes of old were exactly what you're decrying. You identify lads who genuinely want to play at international level and see if they're good enough, nothing else even comes into the equation unless you're on some sort of jingoistic jaunt.

There is a world of difference between Walters and Arter in terms of their affinity with Ireland - just saying.

its funny how people accept non irish soccer players a lot more readily than non irish rugby players. Why is that? (Not aimed at anybody quoted in this post)

Syferus

We should be abusing the parentage rule more, not less. Ffs, take Arter, McCarthy, Christie out and we'd be removing most of the half young, half decent players in the fúcking squad. Jon Walters when fit was still a damn sight better than No Goals Murphy or Long.

McCarthy, Christie  and decent in the same sentence??  Walters wasn't bad in fairness.
But if we abuse the parentage rule (even) more, we might end up with a completely bastardised international team, highly unrepresentative of our nation. Maybe bite the bullet now while we have time and space to do so, develop what young home-grown talent we have and see where it takes us. Iceland, though no oil painting on the eye, did this with less resources and made progress.

McCarthy at his best is our best midfielder. The current Irish system totally bypasses midfield play of any kind and operates with midfield playing as if it were a second defense.

Nothing bastardised about giving yourself the best shot to win. People seem to forget how many of the heroes of old were exactly what you're decrying. You identify lads who genuinely want to play at international level and see if they're good enough, nothing else even comes into the equation unless you're on some sort of jingoistic jaunt.

There is a world of difference between Walters and Arter in terms of their affinity with Ireland - just saying.

You're still being paid to kick a football. This is professional, not parish level stuff.

Arter has more talent than most of our players, but the system underutilises his strengths massively. He's also been very upfront about worrying about fitting in with the Irish team, and given the tragedy he suffered two years ago it's very hard not to root for the lad.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2017, 08:36:29 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 17, 2017, 08:02:51 AM
if the FAI had a decent coaching and development programme they should be bringing through good yojng lads in LOI clubs and the better prospects go abroad
but we know they don't.
waste money on the likes of Delaney in charge and the schoolboys leagues in Dublin has basically become a few big clubs vs each other to win titles. very little player development

Nail on the head.

Lads, if you read back through the thread over the last few days, specifically in relation to what you are talking about here, you would see that these statements are patently incorrect. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

From my perspective, I think of our emigrants and their kids. I would never say someone born to Irish parents is not Irish.  So I wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone who considers themselves Irish, and who has a close blood tie, declaring for Ireland.

With the rugby, in many cases it's a business decision/career advancement decision, and the players who sail under a flag of convenience do not seem to me to have any real affinity with Ireland or identify as Irish.

6th sam

I think a hefty dose of realism is required when talking about Irish soccer. It's hard to see us ever competing at the very top level of major competitions, as we have far too much ground to make up. No matter  how much effort and resources we put in we will never be able to win major competitions. Our best chance was 2002 and the devastating loss of one of the best players in the world in that tournament scuppered our chances. That was at a time when
Many of our players, keanes, duff, Irwin were shining for top clubs but in those days there was a realistic chance of a quality Irish player playing for these top Premier league sides. Now, if even Some quality English players ( on their own doorstep/bigger population/their national sport) can't get into a top side , what hope has an Irishman. International football seems to be the poor relation in any event with the club  tail apparently wagging the national team dog.
Soccer is the priority sport for several countries with much bigger populations than ours.
We are deluded if we think we can really consistently compete on any meaningful level.
Martin O'neill and Roy Keane , have tried to get their strongest possible team out, playing to a system most likely to allow them to meet their potential in terms of results . They have helped foster enthusiasm for the national team and a sense of national pride, but I'm afraid that's as a far as it can go. The first Danish goal effectively meant that a system that got us so far had to be stood aside to get the necessary goal(s). Unfortunately leaving holes in our previously tight defense, exploited by the one player on the field of superior quality.i don't think any other management could have done better.
I have enjoyed many Irish underdog wins eg rugby, athletics, boxing, and this Irish team also provided great nights, & fair play to the management and players. Those genuine soccer men among you probably want more or crave for the day when we play quality football regardless of the result, but anyone that thinks we can really compete for success with top 20 teams who adore their national game , are completely deluded in my opinion.
Enjoy what we're best at eg GAA, horses , boxing. in soccer we'd be better taking pride in occasional exceptional players breaking in to top sides , and enjoy us trying to punch above our weight internationally but forget about real international success.

T Fearon

Would Martin O'Neill in his prime,say between 1997-2005,have even considered for one minute taking the job he's doing now? I don't think so.I think like Dalglish,they're both in their late 60s his race has run.He really ought to retire,before further damage is done to his reputation.He doesn't need the hassle from gobshites like Dunphy nor the money.

rrhf

After the euros  if Martin o Neill had had an English accent he would have got adulation. English players English managers that's what the supporters crave. They love their team like they love their premier league, how dare a couple of Irishmen get the job and worse again one from derry or as dunphy would say in totally good humour of course Londonderry.

No1

Some really good points made recently on this thread (some awful shite too) and I think I still lean towards supporting Martin O'Neill.  However, the decision to bring McGeady on at half time was absolutely nonsensical, in what universe was Aiden McGeady ever going to turn that tie around?  Loyalty to a player is admirable but that borders on the worst managerial decision I've ever seen. 

BennyCake

Quote from: No1 on November 17, 2017, 04:11:22 PM
Some really good points made recently on this thread (some awful shite too) and I think I still lean towards supporting Martin O'Neill.  However, the decision to bring McGeady on at half time was absolutely nonsensical, in what universe was Aiden McGeady ever going to turn that tie around?  Loyalty to a player is admirable but that borders on the worst managerial decision I've ever seen.

I agree. O'Neill has done reasonably well as manager considering the resources, but he really tainted his reputation with those half time subs. People will remember the last game. And all the good work winning in Cardiff, drawing in Denmark, the other night will be fresher in the memory and that sticks in the head more.

McGeady really was baffling. Throw him on 10 minutes to go maybe, but thats the limit of his usefulness.

michaelg

Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2017, 06:28:21 PM

I agree. O'Neill has done reasonably well as manager considering the resources, but he really tainted his reputation with those half time subs. People will remember the last game. And all the good work winning in Cardiff, drawing in Denmark, the other night will be fresher in the memory and that sticks in the head more.

McGeady really was baffling. Throw him on 10 minutes to go maybe, but thats the limit of his usefulness.
McGeady now seems as unpopular in the ROI as he is in his native Scotland.

rrhf

Avondhu star

The best supporters in the world deserve better
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 17, 2017, 11:24:25 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 17, 2017, 09:57:51 AM
MoN will stay as qualifying for the now ridiculously bloated euros should be easy enough. Dont forget Dublin will be hosting some of the games so I think its something he would want to be involved in.
Its difficult for the fans because in fairness to him he has got some big results against Germany, Italy, Bosnia something we hadnt done for 14 yrs previously, we have at times played some good football esp at the euros but unfortunately we have also played a lot of dung. On one hand we did well to get to the playoffs but on the other hand we completely blew a very good chance to top the group. O'Neil probably should stay simply because there isnt many alternatives. Defo need to blood new players and search deeper into that granny bank.

I think the granny bank is part of the chronic problem. As long as we're getting English 'cast-offs' and 'not good enoughs' we'll always be playing catch-up to them and others. Not saying every player we got this way is like that or anything, but the best players who could qualify for either country tend to stick to the stronger one, e.g., Wayne Rooney, Harry Kane. We really need to make our home league stronger, keep our better players for longer, and maybe think of sending them to other leagues in Europe rather than just the tried-and-trusted cross-channel ones. Not at all easy I know.
The population.is too small for a decent domestic league given the hold GAA has on the national imagination
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Targetman

Quote from: michaelg on November 17, 2017, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2017, 06:28:21 PM

McGeady now seems as unpopular in the ROI as he is in his native Scotland.
Still popular with the Celtic support, was a good player at Celtic Park!

Milltown Row2

Only stupid fans will think Martin's whole time as manager of the ROI team will be remembered for putting on subs at halftime of a playoff for the World Cup with that squad!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea