You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: general_lee on March 07, 2019, 10:00:39 PM
Hate people who don't use the pump furthest away. Some gimp sat waiting on a car leaving the forecourt. So I waited behind thinking he'd take the one furthest as it was also empty. But no the dodo just went for the nearest one and there wasn't any room to pass. I end up looking like a dick as there was a wee queue developing into fiveways having to manoeuvre into the pump on the other side and stretch the hose over my car Which I don't like doing. Such bad petrol station etiquette

I just filled up while reading this.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eamonnca1

Quote from: laoislad on March 07, 2019, 08:19:37 AM
Cars breaking red lights.
I've noticed it getting steadily worse of the past few years but I saw 4 cars break a red light this morning that was already red a few seconds before the first car broke it.
I have often got a green light only to have to stop to avoid hitting a car that has broke the red coming from the other side.

A red light means "stand by for three more cars to go through." That's my standard response to the "cyclist need to obey the laws" crowd in the online comments under any article about cycling.

Eamonnca1

When you're looking for a clip from Father Ted and it's all TED talks in the search results.

laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 05, 2019, 08:30:30 PM
I've noticed it getting steadily worse of the past few years but I saw 4 cars break a red light this morning that was already red a few seconds before the first car broke it.
I have often got a green light only to have to stop to avoid hitting a car that has broke the red coming from the other side.

A red light means "stand by for three more cars to go through." That's my standard response to the "cyclist need to obey the laws" crowd in the online comments under any article about cycling.
So do you think cyclists don't need to obey the laws?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: laoislad on April 05, 2019, 10:10:42 PM

Of course cyclists should obey the laws. Do you think car drivers should not?

My point is that people in glass houses shouldn't take a dump in broad daylight.

laoislad

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 06, 2019, 12:32:42 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 05, 2019, 10:10:42 PM

Of course cyclists should obey the laws. Do you think car drivers should not?

My point is that people in glass houses shouldn't take a dump in broad daylight.
Of course I do, but my first response to someone saying motorists are always breaking the rules isn't to say well so do cyclists.
It seems to be a cyclist thing to bring up motorists everytime they are challenged over the poor behaviour of cyclists on the roads, rather than admit yeah cyclists can be arseholes also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Your average cycling campaigner could give Sammy Wilson lessons in whataboutery.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

markl121

I am a cyclist and cyclists can be arseholes. breaking red lights makes no logical sense when the light is red for a reason, usually that reason being traffic coming from another direction so theres a chance you could be killed. I hate also how say a stream of cars has overtook you, then at a light the cyclist moves up through the traffic to the front of the cars again, meaning everyone has to take extra risks by overtaking again, including the cyclists (if you have experienced how some cars overtake)

Denn Forever

Why do professional place the ball slightly outside the small quadrant at the corner flag and a linesman standing right beside him?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

JoG2

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 03, 2019, 11:06:54 AM
Why do professional place the ball slightly outside the small quadrant at the corner flag and a linesman standing right beside him?

Whole of the ball, whole of the line

lurganblue

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 03, 2019, 11:06:54 AM

Yeah noticed that again in the CL final. What advantage do they really gain. Pain in the hole.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: markl121 on April 06, 2019, 01:51:58 PM
I am a cyclist and cyclists can be arseholes. breaking red lights makes no logical sense when the light is red for a reason, usually that reason being traffic coming from another direction so theres a chance you could be killed. I hate also how say a stream of cars has overtook you, then at a light the cyclist moves up through the traffic to the front of the cars again, meaning everyone has to take extra risks by overtaking again, including the cyclists (if you have experienced how some cars overtake)

So it's okay for cars to pass the cyclist but not okay for the cyclist to pass the cars? How does that work? Go to youtube and look for MGIF, the Must Get In Front drivers who feel the need to take a cyclist's life in their hands and squeeze past them at an unsafe distance just to get sitting at that red light for a second longer, only to be passed by the cyclist again a few seconds later.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 03, 2019, 05:30:26 PM
Quote from: markl121 on April 06, 2019, 01:51:58 PM

So it's okay for cars to pass the cyclist but not okay for the cyclist to pass the cars? How does that work? Go to youtube and look for MGIF, the Must Get In Front drivers who feel the need to take a cyclist's life in their hands and squeeze past them at an unsafe distance just to get sitting at that red light for a second longer, only to be passed by the cyclist again a few seconds later.

Yes.  It would be good manners for a cyclist, when sitting at lights, to stay behind any cars which have passed them.  By overtaking these cars again they will only be holding them up once again, when the light goes green.  The cyclist who feels the need to overtake cars again at traffic lights is being a total arse, given that the only gain they make by doing so is that they get the privilege of stopping and waiting for the light to change a few yards further up the road.

I'm a cyclist and I'm all for protecting the rights of cyclists as road users, but there's no need to be a p***k about it.

Eamonnca1

If it's such a pain in the neck to pass a cyclist, why pass him? Stay behind him until the next light. You're not going to get there any quicker.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 03, 2019, 10:23:08 PM
If it's such a pain in the neck to pass a cyclist, why pass him? Stay behind him until the next light. You're not going to get there any quicker.

How do you work that out?