Cookstown Incident

Started by oakleaflad, March 18, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: five points on March 20, 2019, 12:39:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 20, 2019, 12:30:44 PM

Is that the sum total of you evidence? One picture? Would you catch yourself on.

In general the lack of intelligence being displayed on this thread is worrying. Shows you what some people actually think in their heads. Scary. Some people really should seek immediate help from trained professionals.

Says the boy who cited a YouTube video as "proof" that there's no overcrowding on the Tube.  ::)
Why are you being deliberately idiotic? He never said that. The state of this. Just admit you are wrong. You said the London UG works because people are generally well mannered. That is absolute balls and he pulled you on it. It works because of the immense attention to detail regarding crowd control.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 20, 2019, 11:04:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2019, 10:58:49 PM
There were a catalogue of events that has made this happen, but fundamentally, not ensuring that people are queued correctly and safely is one major factor.

No poster on here was actually at it, second hand evidence isn't to be trusted. So while everyone has a view I'd wait until the HSE and police come up with some facts before giving a balanced view on it.
Agreed. However your point about queuing correctly applies across the board which is why I am reluctant to criticise the owner. Like I've said previously, a tragedy like this could happen at any venue in the country on any big night. Hopefully changes in attitudes to queuing systems are brougt in across the board in the aftermath of this.

It is, I've tried not to talk about this tragedy, but right across every event that will attract hundreds or thousands to an event must be seen to follow the procedures and adhere to the risk assessments that would have required for any job that involves a risk.

But the police and other authorities will view this particular one as a breach of H&S, no intent of course and no one would wish these incidents on any one. But too ever learn from these mistakes there has to be a fall guy.

I posted earlier there was a lot of responsibility across the board, and as a collective there was some failings. This ended with kids being crushed to death.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

This drugs issues strikes me as odd and very poorly handled by the PSNI. I see they have claimed to
have fast tracked the forensic analysis of the powder found and de arrested based on those findings. I'd be intrigued to hear more about that given the huge back log there is on such analysis at the minute with most cases taking at least 4-6 months if not longer for the analysis to take place even those the courts direct to be given priority.

If they've handled that aspect as badly as it appears they did it cast further questions over their handling of the substantive case.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

BennyCake

Quote from: David McKeown on March 20, 2019, 11:30:43 PM
This drugs issues strikes me as odd and very poorly handled by the PSNI. I see they have claimed to
have fast tracked the forensic analysis of the powder found and de arrested based on those findings. I'd be intrigued to hear more about that given the huge back log there is on such analysis at the minute with most cases taking at least 4-6 months if not longer for the analysis to take place even those the courts direct to be given priority.

If they've handled that aspect as badly as it appears they did it cast further questions over their handling of the substantive case.

Police speak for "we fucked up"

MoChara

It seemed like only a couple of hours between arresting him for drugs and letting him go for it, if they were going to fast track the analysis why not wait the hour or two before making the comment at all?

johnnycool

Quote from: MoChara on March 21, 2019, 07:38:57 AM
It seemed like only a couple of hours between arresting him for drugs and letting him go for it, if they were going to fast track the analysis why not wait the hour or two before making the comment at all?

That what I was wondering too.

Total mess from the PSNI which doesn't bode well for the investigation in hand.

TabClear

Quote from: MoChara on March 21, 2019, 07:38:57 AM

What was the analysis? Joe Cop rubbed some on his gums and said "boss, that tastes like soap?". Absolute shambles from the PSNI, as you say they could have waited until they knew what they had before releasing any statement. Looks very like a case of the PR department deciding they have to be  seen to be doing something.

GetOverTheBar

There are conflicting reports if the owner was arrested for manslaughter or corporate manslaughter.

I'm not entirely sure, but if the former - this drugs fiasco has surely thrown out the possibility of a conviction being obtained, any defence worth it's salt will ensure that over this there'll be no fair trial.

David McKeown

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 21, 2019, 09:20:56 AM
There are conflicting reports if the owner was arrested for manslaughter or corporate manslaughter.

I'm not entirely sure, but if the former - this drugs fiasco has surely thrown out the possibility of a conviction being obtained, any defence worth it's salt will ensure that over this there'll be no fair trial.

I'm sorry what?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 21, 2019, 09:20:56 AM

As in there will be more sympathy for the owner and more suspicion of the authorities?

gallsman

Police have said they won't apologize. Found a white powder and tinfoil that looked like wraps. They claim anyone would have thought it was drugs.

Absolute f**king madness.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 20, 2019, 06:54:54 PM
So they found a white powder in his laundry room and went to town. Wonder was it in a big square box labelled "Surf"  ::)

Wonder did Lever Bros give them their money back....
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: sid waddell on March 20, 2019, 10:50:30 PM
Underage drinking has precisely nothing to do with what happened at the Greenvale Hotel.

It wouldn't have mattered whether the crowd had all been intoxicated Rangers hooligans over for a friendly match against an ex-LVF XI.

The same duty of care to put proper safety measures in place for whoever turns up at the door would apply.

Ach away of that.

Of course it had an effect.

Doesn't absolve the venue from their duty of care - but there is an extremely strong likelihood that if everyone in the queue were sober then the crush doesn't happen.
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 21, 2019, 10:55:52 AM
Underage drinking has precisely nothing to do with what happened at the Greenvale Hotel.

It wouldn't have mattered whether the crowd had all been intoxicated Rangers hooligans over for a friendly match against an ex-LVF XI.

The same duty of care to put proper safety measures in place for whoever turns up at the door would apply.

Ach away of that.

Doesn't absolve the venue from their duty of care - but there is an extremely strong likelihood that if everyone in the queue were sober then the crush doesn't happen.

Evidence?

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 21, 2019, 10:55:52 AM

Ach away of that.

Sun Hillsborough-esque nonsense - attempting to shift blame and disingenuously muddy the waters to protect those responsible.

It's 100% the responsibility of a venue to ensure its patrons can queue in safety.

The venue 100% failed to do that.

The problem now is that the PSNI's bungling idiocy is going to elicit sympathy for a man who doesn't deserve it.