Railway cup no more?

Started by Farrandeelin, November 21, 2017, 09:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 03:56:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 21, 2017, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 21, 2017, 12:59:36 PM
Ending a farce. Aussie Rules took the prestige the Railway Cup once had.

150 souls in Carrick for the final. It's done.

5,000 were in Armagh 2 or 3 years ago though.
ThO'Sé unsophisticated people would watch anything......

There were some from Munster who made the trip too. And I seen people from most Ulster counties at the final, not just from my own.

lurganblue

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 21, 2017, 12:38:21 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2017, 12:21:53 PM
Sure they hardly ever win it anyway

Mayo never win the AI .... doesn't mean they will pull out of it (no matter how advisable that may be😂)

Mayo not running in a 4 horse race ever year though

Syferus

Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2017, 05:24:51 PM

Mayo never win the AI .... doesn't mean they will pull out of it (no matter how advisable that may be😂)

Mayo not running in a 4 horse race ever year though

Yeah, it's only a two horse race.

Lar Naparka

I have only two words for you my friend. The second one is 'off.'
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

A modest proposal:

• Find a fixed slot in the calendar and leave it there so people can get into the habit of watching it.
  • Play the semis as as double-headers with the LGFA/Camogie teams playing as the first match, football or hurling teams as the second match. Have the draw for the men's and women's games done jointly so that the same provinces are matched up in both codes.
  • Play the finals, again as double-headers, outside of Ireland in a place where the local GAA would appreciate it. If you played it in Boston or San Francisco you'd get a lot more than 150 people at it, and the game would be played with a bit of competitive bite and many of the spectators would actually have teams to support, which is more than can be said of the All-Star game. The prospect of an all-expenses-paid foreign trip would be a good motivator for players in the semis.

Rossfan

Fixed slot in calendar......where?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 06:37:19 PM
Fixed slot in calendar......where?

If you really wanted to do it, it should be the weekend before the AI football final and then having the final on the Saturday before the AI final. But this ship has sailed. The days of legendary Railway Cup teams are long over.

lenny

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 21, 2017, 06:33:31 PM
A modest proposal:

• Find a fixed slot in the calendar and leave it there so people can get into the habit of watching it.
  • Play the semis as as double-headers with the LGFA/Camogie teams playing as the first match, football or hurling teams as the second match. Have the draw for the men's and women's games done jointly so that the same provinces are matched up in both codes.
  • Play the finals, again as double-headers, outside of Ireland in a place where the local GAA would appreciate it. If you played it in Boston or San Francisco you'd get a lot more than 150 people at it, and the game would be played with a bit of competitive bite and many of the spectators would actually have teams to support, which is more than can be said of the All-Star game. The prospect of an all-expenses-paid foreign trip would be a good motivator for players in the semis.

Pick 24 All stars from each province based on league and championship. Each provincial side has this as their squad for the railway cup. Fly all players to San francisco for the semi finals and finals. All could be played in one weekend in December or January. Semi finals on Friday evening, final on sunday. Pick your overall All star team after the railway cup final having had the opportunity to watch all players playing. This would give players from the weaker counties like gary brennan as an example a realistic chance of winning a deserved all star.

LooseCannon

Have it in Ireland.
Provincial all-stars like someone above mentioned.
Basic advertising on TV/Radio/Online.

Don't know about a date, but have it fixed anyway.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

mrhardyannual

Competition had died already. More decisive leadership from the Connacht Sec. to ensure it was buried properly.

Buckass

Very co-ordinated assassination of the Railway Cup. For many players they still see it as a huge honour to be selected for their province . Prenty just the messenger on a decision made at headquarters...there's no solo run in Ballyhaunis.
I used to get my back up when non-GAA folk referred to the GAA as teh Grab All Association but when there's no financial bonus involved then get rid of. Same with Masters football...the mental health & physical benefits for 40 year+ players & the benefits going forward of kids seeing their fathers wearing county jersey are ignored on a cost basis. Sad.

johnneycool

Quote from: Buckass on December 01, 2017, 12:27:36 PM
Very co-ordinated assassination of the Railway Cup. For many players they still see it as a huge honour to be selected for their province . Prenty just the messenger on a decision made at headquarters...there's no solo run in Ballyhaunis.
I used to get my back up when non-GAA folk referred to the GAA as teh Grab All Association but when there's no financial bonus involved then get rid of. Same with Masters football...the mental health & physical benefits for 40 year+ players & the benefits going forward of kids seeing their fathers wearing county jersey are ignored on a cost basis. Sad.

IIRC when the Railway cups were in their pomp the finals were played on St Patricks day in Croke Park.

If the club calendar is shortened to the calendar year as is muted then surely this date becomes free again.