George Hook

Started by Boycey, September 13, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Rudi on September 14, 2017, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 02:17:16 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 14, 2017, 02:03:22 PM
Quote from: Itchy on September 14, 2017, 01:28:16 PM
I dont like Hook very much. However, I think there is a lynch mob after him. What he said was stupid and I am pretty sure that no one thinks a rape victim should carry any burden of blame. I think what he was trying  to say was that you can put yourself in harms way with certain behaviour and you can likewise minimise the risk to yourself  with other behaviours. EG if you fly to a war zone and get shot, you are not to blame for being murdered but you could have better protected yourself by not flying to a warzone. I think that is a reasonable enough opinion to have. There seems to be a bunch of very angry people hell bent of taking Hook down and while I wont shed any tears for him I dont think it is a fair punishment for the "crime".

Sums it up as well as I could.
Would anyone advise a female friend or relative, particularly one so young, to act thus?
So, you're saying the woman should have assumed she would be raped in that situation?

No where in the fu@k did he say that
Well, George Hook strongly implied it.

It's just that if one defends comments blaming a rape victim one shouldn't be surprised when other people take it as an implication that one is soft on rape.

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on September 14, 2017, 02:33:59 PM
I dont like Hook very much. However, I think there is a lynch mob after him. What he said was stupid and I am pretty sure that no one thinks a rape victim should carry any burden of blame. I think what he was trying  to say was that you can put yourself in harms way with certain behaviour and you can likewise minimise the risk to yourself  with other behaviours. EG if you fly to a war zone and get shot, you are not to blame for being murdered but you could have better protected yourself by not flying to a warzone. I think that is a reasonable enough opinion to have. There seems to be a bunch of very angry people hell bent of taking Hook down and while I wont shed any tears for him I dont think it is a fair punishment for the "crime".

Would anyone advise a female friend or relative, particularly one so young, to act thus?
So, you're saying the woman should have assumed she would be raped in that situation?

Ive a teenage daughter who is starting to head out, I do and will absolutely continue to advise her on how to stay safe the best I can etc...

You're an absolute melter.... Have a walk or something non internet related , it'll do you the world of good
Are some of ye intentionally missing the point? Of course you'll advise her to take care. But what's taking care? Is a one night stand not taking care?

And even if it isn't, even if she sleeps with the first lad she meets, should she shoulder some of the BLAME if she's raped by a second man that enters the room? Should she be SURPRISED if such an attack happens? THIS IS WHAT HOOK SAID.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 14, 2017, 02:04:52 PM

Sid, as Seafoid suggested, your recent comments leave you in no position to talk about misogyny.
Really.

Some people are very touchy.

I guess different people pick different things to get touchy about. Sort of a NIMBY attitude to what they think should be allowable and what shouldn't.

And missing the wood for the trees.
Use of the word touchy is a giveaway er page 96 cough cough

The main thing is the context.
Scaoil amach an bobailin is not suitable for indiscriminate use

It is best in a place where the meaning is clearly understood. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tziDFQctTh8
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 02:43:49 PM

It's just that if one defends comments blaming a rape victim one shouldn't be surprised when other people take it as an implication that one is soft on rape.

"One"? Who the f**k are you? The queen mother?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 14, 2017, 02:47:41 PM

Ive a teenage daughter who is starting to head out, I do and will absolutely continue to advise her on how to stay safe the best I can etc...

You're an absolute melter.... Have a walk or something non internet related , it'll do you the world of good
Are some of ye intentionally missing the point? Of course you'll advise her to take care. But what's taking care? Is a one night stand not taking care?

And even if it isn't, even if she sleeps with the first lad she meets, should she shoulder some of the BLAME if she's raped by a second man that enters the room? Should she be SURPRISED if such an attack happens? THIS IS WHAT HOOK SAID.

no harm Esmarelda, but I'm replying to mouview / itchy and then sid's comments. Not near your point so can't miss it

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on September 14, 2017, 02:51:20 PM

no harm Esmarelda, but I'm replying to mouview / itchy and then sid's comments. Not near your point so can't miss it
What does that mean?

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 14, 2017, 03:09:34 PM

What does that mean?

take a breath. Against my better judgement I commented in a thread (to a specific point within the thread) that I normally wouldn't have (ie births, deaths, politics, serious stuff etc etc) as I don't like getting embroiled in the madness.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on September 14, 2017, 02:51:09 PM

Well, George Hook does appear to have taken on a sort of Princess Diana quality for those defending him...

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on September 14, 2017, 03:44:02 PM

What does that mean?

take a breath. Against my better judgement I commented in a thread (to a specific point within the thread) that I normally wouldn't have (ie births, deaths, politics, serious stuff etc etc) as I don't like getting embroiled in the madness.
I'm perfectly calm. I just don't know what "Not near your point so can't miss it" means.

Hound

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 10:58:39 AM

Neither Hook nor Myers, and you can throw in the likes of Ian O'Doherty and John Waters and that non-entity of a troll John McGuirk, are victims in any form of the word.

They are professional contrarian bullies who use their pulpits to bully and stereotype actual victims, and their words cause real harm. 

Professional contrarians like that generally push it too far in the end and say something completely indefensible.

Would you put John Waters in the same category?

I don't actually know much about him, and only read him very rarely when we wrote for the Irish Times. But Dunphy did a very good interview with him on his podcast, The Stand. I found him interesting and witty, some things I agreed with him on and others I definitely didn't.

I did know about his stance of father's rights in the case of separation/divorce, and I fully agree with him that father's often don't get justice.

Dunphy challenged him on anti gay marriage stance which I wasn't aware of. And he said let's get marriage/divorce rights sorted for men first and then go on to gays. That was lame, and it transpired that he's a strong Catholic, so that was the real reason, but we probably all know people who voted No for religious reasons, so I wouldnt hold that against them. They lost, we move on.   

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 14, 2017, 03:48:31 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 14, 2017, 03:44:02 PM

What does that mean?

I'm perfectly calm. I just don't know what "Not near your point so can't miss it" means.

right, you said ( and i put it in bold above) "missing the point"...as I replied to other posters on their point, I then replied "Not near your point so can't miss it"....anyhow, enjoy your day *thumbs up*

Itchy

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 14, 2017, 02:40:05 PM
Except he questioned if they should. That's the point.

Of course you can advise people not to put themselves in danger. Is a girl going back to a man's hotel room putting herself in danger? I would say it shouldn't be and it isn't something she should need to be warned against.

I know what he said and I did say in my post it was a stupid thing to say. I might add it was Irresponsible even and deserving of some punishment. However, I do not believe that he meant to it in the way it reads if you follow me. Now what he meant is debatable as its based on opinion and cannot be substantiated and I understand that. I dont think he should be run out of his job, we all say things we didnt mean to say after all.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Itchy on September 14, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 14, 2017, 02:40:05 PM
Except he questioned if they should. That's the point.

Of course you can advise people not to put themselves in danger. Is a girl going back to a man's hotel room putting herself in danger? I would say it shouldn't be and it isn't something she should need to be warned against.

I know what he said and I did say in my post it was a stupid thing to say. I might add it was Irresponsible even and deserving of some punishment. However, I do not believe that he meant to it in the way it reads if you follow me. Now what he meant is debatable as its based on opinion and cannot be substantiated and I understand that. I dont think he should be run out of his job, we all say things we didnt mean to say after all.
Well even if we were to give him the benefit of the doubt,  you'll see from the link I posted earlier and the general comments about him that he has form. In my opinion, he absolutely meant what he said as he said it. Like I said before, this isn't a heated argument where you blurt something out that you immediately regret. He would have prepared for this piece and, as far as I know, he only apologised the next day after all the criticism that came his way.

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 02:43:49 PM

Sid  - just to clarify, I am not "soft" on rape. Anyone who rapes should be doing 15  - 20 years in my opinion.

trileacman

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2017, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: trileacman on September 14, 2017, 02:51:09 PM

Well, George Hook does appear to have taken on a sort of Princess Diana quality for those defending him...

More shitetalk.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014