The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

He's the captain of the English team he pretty much has to sing it. He's kind of in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't scenario.

under the bar

Quote from: Boycey on July 17, 2019, 02:45:07 PM
He's the captain of the English team he pretty much has to sing it. He's kind of in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't scenario.

Why would he have to? 

BennyCake

The northern Protestant rugby players don't have to sing Amhran na bhfiann.

screenexile

Quote from: under the bar on July 17, 2019, 02:47:46 PM

Why would he have to?

Because Piers Morgan is a p***k and made a big deal of it a year or two again.

Boycey

He's the CAPTAIN, yeah he could play the mute and then run the gauntlet of the media plus social media etc etc... A bit like some in media, social media etc etc here that are annoyed cause he did sing it. Like I said damned if you do damned if you don't  :-\

Hound

I was a bit put out initially when I saw Morgan singing the Anthem before the final. I'd be a big fan of his and was told he only started this relatively recently.

However, we do expect the Bundee Akis and Tony Cascarinos to mouth the anthems when they play for us, so good for the goose and all that.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on July 17, 2019, 04:16:44 PM
I was a bit put out initially when I saw Morgan singing the Anthem before the final. I'd be a big fan of his and was told he only started this relatively recently.

However, we do expect the Bundee Akis and Tony Cascarinos to mouth the anthems when they play for us, so good for the goose and all that.

Didn't realise he sang the anthem....was aware of the controversy stoked by that troglodyte about it previously and had observed him not singing it. Only caught the end of the final the last day.

I suppose he's a brave while living there and playing for England. And curiously, my cricket following mates and I wouldn't mind seeing England win at all - completely at odds with how we'd feel about them in virtually all other sports.

Stall the Bailer

His mother is English AFAIK, maybe he sees himself as part English and singing the anthem is not an issue for him.

Eamonnca1

Do the English make a big deal about the Cricket World Cup or is it still all about the Ashes? The World Cup started in 1975 but the Ashes has been going since about 1877 when the first test match was played.

It strikes me as similar to how the Six Nations (started in 1883) seems to be the competition with all the history, whereas the Rugby World Cup (started in 1987) doesn't seem to set the place alight as much. Just my impression.

magpie seanie

The Ashes is still huge but overall Test cricket is on the wane.

michaelg

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2019, 09:22:25 PM
Test cricket still popular in England but watched by 3 men and a dog elsewhere - Even in India where they are cricket mad.

Eamonnca1

Any sign of T20 cricket catching on outside of India? I hear they have it in England now. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a game myself if I was in the area. Sounds more like baseball in getting a game played in a single evening.

Boycey

Quote from: michaelg on July 17, 2019, 09:39:57 PM
Test cricket still popular in England but watched by 3 men and a dog elsewhere - Even in India where they are cricket mad.

The Aussies and the Saffers still have an interest too...

michaelg

Quote from: Boycey on July 17, 2019, 09:51:22 PM
Quote from: michaelg on July 17, 2019, 09:39:57 PM

The Aussies and the Saffers still have an interest too...
Australia fair enough, although seems to be on the slide in South Africa too - During last series England played there, most of crowd were English