2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterJ

Westmeath have hard draw but Laois will have to work hard. Limerick were casual on Saturday night but Laois were working hard throughout despite huge loss, only problem area is full forward line but again comes down to lack of forwards. Joe Phelan had another good game and Kavanagh had another good performance. Brennan has done excellent work. Short puck outs didn't work well but overall conclusion was Laois worked hard and tried all way through but All-champions are at a whole different level.

Jd

The national Hurling League is a joke. Why not have the top 8 teams in div1 and work a top 4  2 semi semi final and bottom 4 relegation semis loser goes straight down. Have your next 8 in div2  top and bottom 4 similar to div 1. There is no point in Carlow Laois and Westmeath getting six or seven hammerings next year and trying to take anything from it. Give them games where they have a realistic chance of winning and whoever is good enough to go up will at least be the best of the rest.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Jd on March 11, 2019, 10:43:06 PM
The national Hurling League is a joke. Why not have the top 8 teams in div1 and work a top 4  2 semi semi final and bottom 4 relegation semis loser goes straight down. Have your next 8 in div2  top and bottom 4 similar to div 1. There is no point in Carlow Laois and Westmeath getting six or seven hammerings next year and trying to take anything from it. Give them games where they have a realistic chance of winning and whoever is good enough to go up will at least be the best of the rest.
Totally agree.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

MasterJ

The championship suits the better teams as well.

burdizzo

Especially blatant in the Munster group, where Kerry would have to win a play-off if they did happen to win the McDonagh Cup!

Don Draper

Its time to invade Munster and be done with it.

Zooming around

Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2019, 10:59:36 AM

Aye and salt it like the romans did to Carthage

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Zooming around on March 12, 2019, 01:29:53 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on March 12, 2019, 10:59:36 AM

Aye and salt it like the romans did to Carthage

Impressive classical reference there Zooming!! You won't get that over on Hogan stand.

SpeculativeEffort

8 team divisions would leave 1 fairly decent team adrift from the others strong counties. Groups of 6 are actually fine. The stronger counties in 1b have 2-3 tougher games and guaranteed a q-final. Thats much better than no game v a stronger county.

1a have 5 quality games and if relegated 1b isnt the worst place in the world to be. All the repercussions of the current set-up are better options than what westmeath have been given for getting promoted from 2A i.e 5 absolute trimmings. They have been promoted 2 divisions. The next step for them is beating Laois or Carlow not Tipp, Kk etc.

ITS AN ABSOLUTE FARCE

Jd

Well even that would be better than what Westmeath have been handed. Even a div 2 with a couple of stronger teams and a few below them would create a kind of league within a league. Laois I feel could be the best of the rest next year if we keep progressing and deepen the panel a bit. But imagine being a Westmeath hurler about next November facing  into 7 or 8 months training with 5 guaranteed league hammerings and then trying to pick yourself up for a McDonagh cup campaign that the GAA don't give a toss about ........ would anyone blame a fella for walking away back to your club and taking life a bit easier

Don Draper

Quote from: Jd on March 13, 2019, 10:25:32 AM
Well even that would be better than what Westmeath have been handed. Even a div 2 with a couple of stronger teams and a few below them would create a kind of league within a league. Laois I feel could be the best of the rest next year if we keep progressing and deepen the panel a bit. But imagine being a Westmeath hurler about next November facing  into 7 or 8 months training with 5 guaranteed league hammerings and then trying to pick yourself up for a McDonagh cup campaign that the GAA don't give a toss about ........ would anyone blame a fella for walking away back to your club and taking life a bit easier
Ah well, they'll get a few top tier jerseys out of it if they manage a few crafty post match swaps

Bud Wiser

I do take a peek in here to find out what's happening in my home county now and again. I have to say I got diverted for an hour this morning after Zooms post above. I now know more about the form of Scipio Aemilianus Africanus and the Romans than I do about the form of Cha for the championship. Great stuff.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Bud Wiser on March 17, 2019, 08:40:21 AM
I do take a peek in here to find out what's happening in my home county now and again. I have to say I got diverted for an hour this morning after Zooms post above. I now know more about the form of Scipio Aemilianus Africanus and the Romans than I do about the form of Cha for the championship. Great stuff.
Haha! I did the same thing—went off on a tangent through Wikipedia.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!