Blanket attack or defence - Which Jim will be winning matches this year?

Started by Fuzzman, January 15, 2014, 10:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/jims-dublin-warning-scotched-255146.html
Jim's Dublin warning scotched
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Donegal manager Jim McGuinness claimed Dublin's attacking approach would be "murdered" during summer's championship, according to Joe Brolly.

By Eoghan Cormican

The controversial pundit alleged McGuinness told him last spring, at a time when Dublin were still fine-tuning their offensive game plan, that Jim Gavin's philosophy wouldn't survive championship warfare at GAA HQ.

Brolly, addressing the GAA Games Development Conference at Croke Park on Saturday, admitted to sharing McGuinness' sentiment, labelling Gavin's approach as "kamikaze".

"Jim McGuinness said to me that it is never going to work 'Come the summer they are going to be murdered in the big games at Croke Park'.

"I agreed with him. I told him he was dead right. It was kamikaze," he revealed.

"Gavin turned the negative style of play on its head. He said if anyone drags a man to the ground they will be taken off."

Brolly praised Dublin and indeed Kerry for remaining true to the principles of Gaelic football at a time when cynicism has made the game almost unbearable to watch.

"We have all suffered because of the new style. The Ulster championship is virtually impossible to watch. Playing good football is more difficult now. It takes courage. You need to screw your courage to the sticking post. You need to stay true like Kerry have.

"Kerry have been turned over in Croke Park by teams with better systems, not better players. Primarily, better systems and they have stuck to their principles. They have gone out every time and played the game.

"In the Glenswilly v Ballinderry Ulster club final, Glenswilly did their usual tactic of putting 13 men behind the ball and feeding Michael Murphy. Young Daniel McKinless was put on Murphy and did a fine job, getting in and around him, knocking a few balls away. He had the confidence to do so because he had been empowered with the skills of the game since he was a boy. The skills of the game take pride of place in Kerry and Ballinderry."

Pointing to last August's classic All-Ireland SFC semi-final between Dublin and Kerry, Brolly said his faith in Gaelic football had been firmly restored.

"It was brilliant. The game was heart in mouth stuff. Colm Cooper, man-to-man. When was the last time we saw that? I just want to see the game played and that is the great delight of the Dubs. They have shown us that this is the way to do it. Who can forget the heroism that day of Kevin McManamon and Michael Darragh MacAuley. Stephen Cluxton was the best player in Ireland last year, but Michael Darragh MacAuley was chosen by the players as Player of the Year and the reason they chose him is because of his obvious heroism. That breaking ball wasn't MacAuley's, at that stage there was every chance that Kerry would win the game.

He hurled himself through the air and flicked the ball into McManamon's path. When McManamon went through, instead of going for an easy point, he goes for the goal, he goes for glory. If one of the Donegal subs did that, Jim McGuinness would be taken to the hospital with an oxygen mask. That is the difference. When that ball hit the net I remember jumping up, the hair was standing on the back of my neck. My heart was racing. Everyone was walking on air coming out of Croke Park. I met Darragh Ó Sé afterwards and he said it was no consolation.

I told him this game will be remembered long after we are gone. I went into work in the Belfast Crown Court the next day and it is a grim place. It is a merciless place and yet everyone was talking about the game and asking would we ever see a game like that again."
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

I'd say McGuinness would love to get another bite at Dublin this year as they've still not beaten them.

thewobbler

Oh ffs.

Yes Dublin attacked with speed and vigour all summer long.

But you know what, they only won the AI final because they played with a 10 man defence from the moment they got their noses in front.

It seems that the blanket defence is a propaganda war more than anything else.

blanketattack

You called?

Was Kevin McManamon really going for a goal? I'm not so sure.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 15, 2014, 10:37:33 AM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/jims-dublin-warning-scotched-255146.html
Jim's Dublin warning scotched
Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Donegal manager Jim McGuinness claimed Dublin's attacking approach would be "murdered" during summer's championship, according to Joe Brolly.

By Eoghan Cormican

The controversial pundit alleged McGuinness told him last spring, at a time when Dublin were still fine-tuning their offensive game plan, that Jim Gavin's philosophy wouldn't survive championship warfare at GAA HQ.

Brolly, addressing the GAA Games Development Conference at Croke Park on Saturday, admitted to sharing McGuinness' sentiment, labelling Gavin's approach as "kamikaze".

"Jim McGuinness said to me that it is never going to work 'Come the summer they are going to be murdered in the big games at Croke Park'.

"I agreed with him. I told him he was dead right. It was kamikaze," he revealed.

"Gavin turned the negative style of play on its head. He said if anyone drags a man to the ground they will be taken off."

Brolly praised Dublin and indeed Kerry for remaining true to the principles of Gaelic football at a time when cynicism has made the game almost unbearable to watch.

"We have all suffered because of the new style. The Ulster championship is virtually impossible to watch. Playing good football is more difficult now. It takes courage. You need to screw your courage to the sticking post. You need to stay true like Kerry have.

"Kerry have been turned over in Croke Park by teams with better systems, not better players. Primarily, better systems and they have stuck to their principles. They have gone out every time and played the game.

"In the Glenswilly v Ballinderry Ulster club final, Glenswilly did their usual tactic of putting 13 men behind the ball and feeding Michael Murphy. Young Daniel McKinless was put on Murphy and did a fine job, getting in and around him, knocking a few balls away. He had the confidence to do so because he had been empowered with the skills of the game since he was a boy. The skills of the game take pride of place in Kerry and Ballinderry."

Pointing to last August's classic All-Ireland SFC semi-final between Dublin and Kerry, Brolly said his faith in Gaelic football had been firmly restored.

"It was brilliant. The game was heart in mouth stuff. Colm Cooper, man-to-man. When was the last time we saw that? I just want to see the game played and that is the great delight of the Dubs. They have shown us that this is the way to do it. Who can forget the heroism that day of Kevin McManamon and Michael Darragh MacAuley. Stephen Cluxton was the best player in Ireland last year, but Michael Darragh MacAuley was chosen by the players as Player of the Year and the reason they chose him is because of his obvious heroism. That breaking ball wasn't MacAuley's, at that stage there was every chance that Kerry would win the game.

He hurled himself through the air and flicked the ball into McManamon's path. When McManamon went through, instead of going for an easy point, he goes for the goal, he goes for glory. If one of the Donegal subs did that, Jim McGuinness would be taken to the hospital with an oxygen mask. That is the difference. When that ball hit the net I remember jumping up, the hair was standing on the back of my neck. My heart was racing. Everyone was walking on air coming out of Croke Park. I met Darragh Ó Sé afterwards and he said it was no consolation.

I told him this game will be remembered long after we are gone. I went into work in the Belfast Crown Court the next day and it is a grim place. It is a merciless place and yet everyone was talking about the game and asking would we ever see a game like that again."
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

I'd say McGuinness would love to get another bite at Dublin this year as they've still not beaten them.

What a load of bollix
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blewuporstuffed

and this

QuoteBrolly praised Dublin and indeed Kerry for remaining true to the principles of Gaelic football at a time when cynicism has made the game almost unbearable to watch.

"We have all suffered because of the new style. The Ulster championship is virtually impossible to watch.

::)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either