Greencastle Gold

Started by Hereiam, November 28, 2017, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: Mongander on November 28, 2017, 03:19:48 PM
All that glitters is not gold.

The threat this planning application presents to Greencastle, and to the surrounding areas (initially in Counties Tyrone, Derry, Donegal & Antrim) are devastating.

Dalradian have tried to package this as a good news story - quoting job creation and ridiculous amounts of money (based on no actual evidence - a point even noted on their own PR literature).

The reality is very different - there are limited jobs for a limited period of time.

At the end, what we are going to be left with is the total destruction of Greencastle village - this proposed "mine camp" (Dalradian CEO Patrick FN Anderson's own words), toxic processing plant and waste dump is to be located less than 1km from the local football pitch, primary school and play group.
The waste dump alone is bigger than the entire centre of Greencastle village.

The toxic processing plant, if passed, will become the epicenter for dumping and processing toxic heavy metals not just in Ireland, but in Europe and most likely beyond (with Brexit the area will not fall within the jurisdiction of the EU, and will therefore not be obliged to follow EU legislation).

This Canadian Company have already been granted discharge rights (by a Civil Servant in the absence of an operational government here) to dump numerous toxins - including arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead, copper, zinc & others - into one of the most protected waterways in Europe (the Owenkillew River, a tributary of the Foyle).

No true Gael can stand idly by whilst this threat hangs over our heads.

Check out Save Our Sperrins or Greencastle Community Voices on Facebook/Twitter (amongst others) for updates and more information on this, that you mightn't necessarily hear from the mainstream media.

Dalradian greed will not succeed.

#NoToxicGold
#DalradianOutOfIreland
#SaveOurSperrins
bastard trying to package a gold find  as a good news story  what will the spindoctors think of next

Mongander  if you are part of a Lobby group . please declare your interest
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mongander

Quote from: rosnarun on November 28, 2017, 03:29:25 PM
b**tard trying to package a gold find  as a good news story  what will the spindoctors think of next

Mongander  if you are part of a Lobby group . please declare your interest

As anyone with half a brain, or even anyone who has access to the internet will tell you, gold mining is one of the most toxic processes in the world.
There are NO examples of clean/environmentally friendly gold mines in the world.
The only thing universally associated with this industry is pollution and destruction.

I would have thought that someone with ties to Mayo, after all the people there have suffered at the hands of Shell, would have understood the threat of mass industrialisation and the theft of natural resources by foreign investors.

I live locally - that is my interest.
I am environmentally aware - that is my interest.
I do not want to see my football club destroyed due to a toxic gold mine less than a kilometre up the road from it - that is my interest.
I want to protect my community and local area - that is my interest.
I want to see my children and grandchildren live and prosper here, without the threat of cyanide, arsenic, or any other poisons hanging over their heads - that is my interest.
I do not want to see Ireland's natural resources being stolen to profit a foreign company or the crown estate - that is my interest.
I believe that Tyrone would be better suited to the promotion of sustainable tourism rather than the proliferation of toxic gold mines or monstrous wind farms - that is my interest.

Is that enough rosnarun, or should I continue?

Love Tyrone and Ireland is Not for Sale are two other Facebook pages you can check out for more info.

#NoToxicGold
#DalradianOutOfIreland
#SaveOurSperrins
Tír Eoghain Abú!!!!

BennyCake

It's big bucks involved to these companies, so the environment, people's health and the feelings of locals mean diddly squat.

bennydorano

What difference does being a True Gael matter in this instance? If it's on literature it seems a fine way of alienating a fair percentage of the surrounding population.

Denn Forever

So we won't "Gold Rush" ireland? 

Is the procesing of the gold ore taking place on site?  Either envioroment búrden.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Are they seriously proposing cyanide leaching to extract the gold?

Its been banned as a technique in various places around the world, including in the state of Montana 20 years ago.

Ask Hungary and the Balkans how they feel about the Baia Mare disaster.

BennyCake

Quote from: J70 on November 28, 2017, 05:20:17 PM
Are they seriously proposing cyanide leaching to extract the gold?

Its been banned as a technique in various places around the world, including in the state of Montana 20 years ago.

Ask Hungary and the Balkans how they feel about the Baia Mare disaster.

You're underestimating the power of the brown envelope though.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: hardstation on November 28, 2017, 09:54:01 PM
NIMBY hoors are probably just looking a handout. Give them an incinerator,  a Tesco and some drug dealers. That is what they deserve. They can't see the greater good and are just full of self pity.

Out of interest would you say the same about the Casement Park/Croke Park residents?

Gmac

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 28, 2017, 05:07:49 PM
So we won't "Gold Rush" ireland? 

Is the procesing of the gold ore taking place on site?  Either envioroment búrden.
jack and Todd Hoffman would get a nice welcome too I would say .

Hereiam

Cyanide will be used and it is all to happen on site.

ziggysego

Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 28, 2017, 10:13:04 PM
NIMBY hoors are probably just looking a handout. Give them an incinerator,  a Tesco and some drug dealers. That is what they deserve. They can't see the greater good and are just full of self pity.

Out of interest would you say the same about the Casement Park/Croke Park residents?

I think that was the point HS was making.
Testing Accessibility

southtyronegael

i think its a disgrace how we let these leeches come in to suck the country dry. look at the vulture funds from america and canada buying up distressed debt and property. 200billion worth they now own. and now we have fuckin gold diggers from canada? the whole lot of them should be chased and keep their grotty, capitalist hands off our lands.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ziggysego on November 29, 2017, 12:01:14 AM
Quote from: never kickt a ball on November 28, 2017, 10:13:04 PM

I think that was the point HS was making.

Aaaah got it now.

Dire Ear

Ziggy , what kind of percentage are in favour, against, and trying to keep out of it?  Roughly, in your opinion?

screenexile

As long as they keep it in the ugly Tyrone part of the Sperrins I'm happy enough. . . if they try to come near beautiful Derry I imagine they will have a war on their hands!! The Sixtowns Community Group are organised and will fight tooth and nail against it should they try to!!!