Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: johnnycool on February 11, 2022, 03:29:39 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on February 11, 2022, 10:41:36 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on February 11, 2022, 10:21:30 AM
my fault for believign that Gfast was for belfast and surrounding areas . Do we really need coaches in Toome the strongest area for football in Antrim? or hurling coaches in the glens? this is a cop out. I , and i'm entitled to my opinion, is they should be in North / South / East Belfast flat out - greater need but harder work

Gaelfast is the coaching of the games department of Antrim GAA.
Our aim is to reinvigorate Gaelic Games ni Belfast and Antrim....

Are you sure about that?

I think Gaelfast required the approval of Down County board for it to fly with Croke Park in the initial planning.

It was also noted that the Dublin program catered for the whole of the county including country clubs.

Also, my relatives in Dublin told me that the main issue in Dublin was the north siders, the south side clubs had money and resources, but the Dublin county when for a holistic program, nt just a northsider one.

So Antrim is smart running a full county program

rogercasement

Jaysus had a sabbatical cos the stuff on here was doing my head in. I'm away again.
Come on Antrim

paddyjohn

Quote from: GAABoardMod5 on February 03, 2022, 10:09:31 PM
This thread is turning into hard work for a Mod.

Posters seem to be aware of each other's identity and make seemingly crass comments toward each other.  Sometimes it looks like banter, but sometimes it hits a harder blow.

So I'll ask ALL posters to cop on a small bit.  Leave the personal stuff off the board.

Otherwise bans will be forthcoming.

Mod5

Best and most sensible post on here for a long time.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 12, 2022, 09:03:02 PM

Posters seem to be aware of each other's identity and make seemingly crass comments toward each other.  Sometimes it looks like banter, but sometimes it hits a harder blow.

So I'll ask ALL posters to cop on a small bit.  Leave the personal stuff off the board.

Mod5

Well said Samuel

paddyjohn

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on February 12, 2022, 09:18:21 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on February 12, 2022, 09:03:02 PM

Mod5

Well said Samuel

Unless it's L Jackson, I don't wanna know.

country bumpkin

Congratulations St Mary's deserved recipients of the Mac crory cup today.
And a big shout out to the Cargin boys, Conhuir, Benen, and Tom and to our Senior team manager Ronan Devlin.

Sportacus

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 13, 2022, 05:35:36 PM
Congratulations St Mary's deserved recipients of the Mac crory cup today.
And a big shout out to the Cargin boys, Conhuir, Benen, and Tom and to our Senior team manager Ronan Devlin.
Well done. Fine footballers with great futures. Hope they can give the Hogan a great shot.   

EOC1923

Great to be at a high level game like that and see the club names Cargin, Moneyglass and Portglenone beside players names in the programme. Can only be a good thing. Can we not talk Brady into taking our minors or U20s at some point. Would love to see it.

Flanker

Quote from: EOC1923 on February 13, 2022, 08:29:40 PM
Great to be at a high level game like that and see the club names Cargin, Moneyglass and Portglenone beside players names in the programme. Can only be a good thing. Can we not talk Brady into taking our minors or U20s at some point. Would love to see it.
EOC yes good to see. Over the last number of years with St Mary's. St Pats & St Ronans there have been a good 15 - 20 guys who have had the benefit of football at this level. On KB  I'm not sure you could replicate what they do by just taking a team. The setup they have seems to nurture and develop guys over a 6-7 year period. They don't win much down the school but they shape and mould to get themselves in good shape for Macrory. If we could get him or someone like him to head up underage development with the output being competitive U17 & 20 teams. Someone like him could get/attract good quality coaches and put a plan/pathway in place to develop good rounded players. This is sadly lacking and is a big piece of the jigsaw. Maybe this is part of the Director of footballs remit. I wonder was KB approached for DOF.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Flanker on February 14, 2022, 12:00:57 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on February 13, 2022, 08:29:40 PM
EOC yes good to see. Over the last number of years with St Mary's. St Pats & St Ronans there have been a good 15 - 20 guys who have had the benefit of football at this level. On KB  I'm not sure you could replicate what they do by just taking a team. The setup they have seems to nurture and develop guys over a 6-7 year period. They don't win much down the school but they shape and mould to get themselves in good shape for Macrory. If we could get him or someone like him to head up underage development with the output being competitive U17 & 20 teams. Someone like him could get/attract good quality coaches and put a plan/pathway in place to develop good rounded players. This is sadly lacking and is a big piece of the jigsaw. Maybe this is part of the Director of footballs remit. I wonder was KB approached for DOF.

I doubt anyone was approached and few would have the backbone to push the issue at CC imo, but a great shout Flanker, KB great lad.

bannside

I'm certain that our games and development officer did make contact with Kevin regarding a prominent role. At the time Kevin had committments to St Mary's and an involvement alongside Paddy Bradley at An Lub possibly club underage committments too, so he could not take on anything else. A great coach and great fella too.

Great achievement by John McKeever to get Holy Trinity to their first final too. Another with multiple interests trying to find the balance but always placing club juvenile development activity as a large priority. That's where it starts.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on February 14, 2022, 07:45:16 AM
I'm certain that our games and development officer did make contact with Kevin regarding a prominent role. At the time Kevin had committments to St Mary's and an involvement alongside Paddy Bradley at An Lub possibly club underage committments too, so he could not take on anything else. A great coach and great fella too.

Great achievement by John McKeever to get Holy Trinity to their first final too. Another with multiple interests trying to find the balance but always placing club juvenile development activity as a large priority. That's where it starts.

It was very evident yesterday that Peter is the manager

bannside

Double effort...Ronan and Kevin - John & Peter. Probably a couple of other important assistants in both backroom teams too.

Sportacus

I just watched the MacRory final again.  The Cargin lads all made big contributions.  You love to see it.  And the Athletic Grounds is a great atmosphere.  My God the Casement Park episode has been a shameful white elephant. Rip up the plans and start again with an Athletic Grounds type stadium that we can all enjoy and can get built!

Tyrdub

Quote from: Sportacus on February 14, 2022, 11:55:55 PM
I just watched the MacRory final again.  The Cargin lads all made big contributions.  You love to see it.  And the Athletic Grounds is a great atmosphere.  My God the Casement Park episode has been a shameful white elephant. Rip up the plans and start again with an Athletic Grounds type stadium that we can all enjoy and can get built!

I was at the Armagh v Tyrone game last week, was saying to herself that it was great to see a ground full to capacity. The noise and atmosphere was brilliant. I said that if Antrim had that size of stadium it would be filled maybe twice a year, for outside county games. I get the Ulster Council are looking at a showpiece stadium, something to show off to the neighbours, and to put on big revenue concerts, but is it really needed at 34k capacity?