Things that make you go .....Hmmm, that's interesting.

Started by Asal Mor, October 05, 2012, 05:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2017, 05:03:46 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2017, 10:48:33 AM
Will AI make us immortal?
Imagine meeting a 600 yr old from the 16th century. And where all the extra food would come from.

Yeah you'd probably need one of those bread mountains to feed him ::) except... the bread would go off cos he would just eat the same amount of food as anyone else at any one time.

Besides I think your rather missing the point of the video. If AI is possible and it is starting to appears to be, then....... the chances of us currently living in Base1 reality are in the billions.... so any of the food that you, I or a 600 year old man eat is likely to be a figment of our imagination.

Tony Baloney

Britain's National Grid generating electricity today without coal fuel for the first time since the Industrial Revolution.

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jul/28/witch-history-of-fear-ronald-hutton-review

For the final section of his book Hutton narrows his focus to Britain, and answers the question that has long kept sensible people awake at night: in a battle between witches and fairies, who would win? The answer, cheeringly, turns out to be the fairies, along with their cousins the elves, pixies and imps. During the early-modern period, these quaint little people were much in evidence in the folk traditions of the Celtic fringe. And crucially it was in these areas – Wales, Ireland, the Highlands – that witchhunting failed to catch fire. While East Anglia trembled under the terrifying visitations of the Witchfinder General Matthew Hopkins, and Lancashire got busy torturing the citizens of Pendle, the outlying parts of Britain and Ireland jogged along gently.

There have been all sorts of attempts to explain this – the Irish didn't want to shop anyone to the Protestant authorities, the Welsh had a culture of reparation towards witches rather than prosecution – but this isn't enough. Hutton suggests instead that believing in fairies provided a kind of  inoculation against witch
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 21, 2017, 11:35:25 PM
Britain's National Grid generating electricity today without coal fuel for the first time since the Industrial Revolution.
that's pretty big.
is that a permanent thing ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

StGallsGAA

Frampton weighs  in 1lb overweight so the bout cannot be classed as a world title eliminator.  A few hours later Gutierrez falls in the shower so the fight has to be rescheduled when presumably Frampton will make weight!   :o

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...