Is it finally time to tax our Lycra clad cyclists ?

Started by highorlow, July 29, 2017, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 09:52:31 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2017, 12:41:35 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2017, 11:35:01 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 29, 2017, 11:09:45 PM
For this. Not all of them are pests but a large proportion are w**kers. Some fella was killed a few weeks ago so there was a lot of bollox on social media about respecting cyclists. If I was a cyclist I'd be wanting respect the people driving the machinery.

There's as many dicks (percentage wise) driving both! They have been taxing bikes in Europe for years, don't see the problem as long as they use the money to create cycle lanes... we are still building new roads without putting them in place

But I've never seen as worst car drivers than I did this summer States side, fecking dicks of the highest order
Cycle lanes are for towns and cities and Im all for them. Its the pricks out on the weekend holding up traffic that are a scourge.

Yip riding 4 abreast even tractors pull over when they are holding up traffic - not these shower of fuckwits!
yes , hoors

Taylor

Hateful bunch alright.

Not only on country roads where they assume they own the road but it is gas to see them in cities where they drive on the road but if there is a jam or red light ahead they conveniently hop onto the footpath and continue their journey.

OakleafCounty

There are some hateful cyclists but there are also hateful pedestrians on country roads and far more hateful drivers throwing rubbish out their windows and driving like maniacs. Also plenty of hateful tractor drivers who have no respect for other people living in the area. You can't tax people for using something that emits no Co2 emissions or pollution at a time when governments need to be encouraging people to curb their car addiction.

punt kick

Quote from: OakleafCounty on July 31, 2017, 12:23:35 PM
There are some hateful cyclists but there are also hateful pedestrians on country roads and far more hateful drivers throwing rubbish out their windows and driving like maniacs. Also plenty of hateful tractor drivers who have no respect for other people living in the area. You can't tax people for using something that emits no Co2 emissions or pollution at a time when governments need to be encouraging people to curb their car addiction.

You could fine the bastards for dangerous driving, running red lights etc or breaking the highway code.  Take the bikes off them and scrap them if they don't pay a fixed penalty.  Maybe it's got to the stage to ride a bike on the road you need a licence!

bennydorano

I love flouting shit & annoying motorists. Makes my day.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:00:45 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on July 31, 2017, 12:23:35 PM

You could fine the b**tards for dangerous driving, running red lights etc or breaking the highway code.  Take the bikes off them and scrap them if they don't pay a fixed penalty.  Maybe it's got to the stage to ride a bike on the road you need a licence!

Can't disagree with that. A couple of weeks ago a cyclist flew out past a give way sign in front of me and didn't even look sideways. I could have killed him if I was driving a bit faster. If his bike had a registration plate and I had a dash cam he'd have been done for it.

punt kick

You won't get any apologists for such behaviour from the cycling fraternity here though, as they are all arrogant c***ts.

punt kick

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:29:48 PM
Has a cyclist ever killed a car driver?

So it is up to the motorist to watch out for cyclists not obeying the rules of the road - catch a f**king grip of your helmet kid.

Dire Ear

Probably not, seems like a silly question
Since you are a cyclist, can you answer me this; why should your hobby hold me up on my journeys?

punt kick

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394015/Cyclist-killed-motorist-road-rage-attack-driver-opened-car-door-him.html

A cyclist was jailed for 18 months today after he killed a motorist who opened his car door in front of him.
Tony Magdi, 52, died three weeks after being assaulted outside his greengrocer's shop in Hove, East Sussex, on November 7 last year.
Paul Lambeth, 36, was originally charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm, but this was changed to manslaughter following Mr Magdi's death at Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre in Haywards Heath on November 28.
Sentencing him at Hove Crown Court, Judge Michael Lawson QC said he had given Lambeth credit for pleading guilty at the first available opportunity.
But he added that the fact that he did not give himself up straight away -  and only did so after he had already been identified as a suspect and police were looking for him - was a strong aggravating factor.
Outlining the circumstances of the case, prosecutor Amy Packham said Lambeth had been cycling with two friends, James Jones and Michael Wilson, eastbound along Portland Road towards central Hove at around midday when the incident happened.
The three men were cycling in a line with Mr Jones in front when they approached Mr Magdi's Jaguar which had just pulled up and parked. Mr Magdi then opened his door before the cyclists had passed.

'The door struck a passing cyclist. There was a collision between the cyclist and the door,' Miss Packham said.
'This cyclist was not the defendant, it was his friend Mr James Jones, and they collided, causing Mr Jones to lose control of his bike and fall on to the road.'
Miss Packham said the collision forced Lambeth and Mr Wilson to brake and swerve, while a fourth passing cyclist, Anthony Randles, fell off his bike.
The court heard that, although all four cyclists were initially angry with Mr Magdi - with Lambeth hurling insults at the apologetic driver - 'the immediate confrontation and anger had passed'.
Miss Packham continued: 'It was at this point that the defendant suddenly punched Mr Magdi without provocation' and he fell hard on to the pavement.'
The prosecutor said Mr Jones then shouted at Lambeth, asking him why he had landed the punch, to which he replied: 'I'm not wearing it.'
Lambeth then mounted his bike and cycled away with Mr Wilson.
Mr Jones and Mr Randles tried to assist Mr Magdi by putting him in the recovery position, but when it became clear that he was unconscious and unresponsive, Mr Jones too panicked and fled the scene.
A passing doctor came to Mr Magdi's aid and he was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton by ambulance.
However, a CT scan showed he had significant bleeding on his brain and he was transferred to Hurstwood Park where he died three weeks later.

punt kick

Good man AQMP you are coming across well - keep popping up deaths there I am sure the families of the victims will appreciate their love ones being used as fodder by yourself.  The last one hasn't even the circumstances, if I was a cyclist I would try to avoid one of the busiest roads in any country!

laoislad

Are you saying cyclists are never in the wrong AQMP?
Of course drivers need to be careful around cyclists but cyclists should start be more careful themselves also.
It isn't always car drivers fault.
Some of the things I've seen cyclists do around Dublin city is crazy. I saw one nearly knock down a young mother pushing a pram the other day because he didn't stop at a red light.
When someone shouted after him he just stuck his finger up at them and kept going.
There is a large majority who are self entitled pricks  who want everyone else to obey the rules while they completely ignore them themselves.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

punt kick

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:48:24 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on July 31, 2017, 01:33:39 PM

Probably not, seems like a silly question. Since you are a cyclist, can you answer me this; why should your hobby hold me up on my journeys?

::)

Care to answer his question?

punt kick

Quote from: AQMP on July 31, 2017, 01:52:32 PM
Quote from: punt kick on July 31, 2017, 01:47:49 PM
Good man AQMP you are coming across well - keep popping up deaths there I am sure the families of the victims will appreciate their love ones being used as fodder by yourself.  The last one hasn't even the circumstances, if I was a cyclist I would try to avoid one of the busiest roads in any country!

Right, but I'm sure the families will appreciate you blaming their loved ones for their own deaths?

Point out where I blamed cyclists for their own deaths?

laoislad

Consider a situation where a cyclist breaks a red light or comes out of a junction without stopping and a car has to avoid them and crashes into another car or wall or whatever.
This is a highly likely scenario and I'd be shocked if something like has never happened.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.