The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on December 04, 2010, 05:26:56 PM
Leeds unbeaten in 6, great win today with lat fightback, 5pts off 2nd and in 6th, i have to say im delighted with our positon. I honestly thought we'd struggle this yr and early form suggested that but Grayson has bought well and the team has stepped up. O Brien seems to have improved the defence and bruce needs a good man beside him. McCartney is good loan signing and connolly is doing fine so i think our defence is better now and should be ok until january when obrien loan is up. Gradel and Snoddy are great on the wings and Becchio has really impressed me, he was in beckfords shadow but since his departure bechio has been brilliant.Paynter and mccormak came on today aswell which bodes well with Somma another good option. Looks like a good yr and definitly one of consolidation but i hope we make the play offs now.

Agree with all of that. If Leeds even had a mediocre home record, they would be right up there. My one fear would be the temporary nature of the loan signings - that could make things unravel if those lads are recalled by their clubs. Becchio is proving me wrong I have to say - I didn't think he had it at this level but he's stepped up the plate big time - get Kisnorbo and Paynter back and fit and Leeds might be there or thereabouts come May.  :)

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 04, 2010, 06:10:39 PM
Leeds unbeaten in 6, great win today with lat fightback, 5pts off 2nd and in 6th, i have to say im delighted with our positon. I honestly thought we'd struggle this yr and early form suggested that but Grayson has bought well and the team has stepped up. O Brien seems to have improved the defence and bruce needs a good man beside him. McCartney is good loan signing and connolly is doing fine so i think our defence is better now and should be ok until january when obrien loan is up. Gradel and Snoddy are great on the wings and Becchio has really impressed me, he was in beckfords shadow but since his departure bechio has been brilliant.Paynter and mccormak came on today aswell which bodes well with Somma another good option. Looks like a good yr and definitly one of consolidation but i hope we make the play offs now.

Agree with all of that. If Leeds even had a mediocre home record, they would be right up there. My one fear would be the temporary nature of the loan signings - that could make things unravel if those lads are recalled by their clubs. Becchio is proving me wrong I have to say - I didn't think he had it at this level but he's stepped up the plate big time - get Kisnorbo and Paynter back and fit and Leeds might be there or thereabouts come May.  :)

Get thon boy back and he'll add a bit of gloss to the team ;)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on December 04, 2010, 06:14:58 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 04, 2010, 06:10:39 PM

Get thon boy back and he'll add a bit of gloss to the team ;)

My worry is that in the mouth of Christmas, he'll be needed in the shop in Scotch Street.   :P

Rufus T Firefly

FFS - four points thrown away over Christmas that if taken would have had Leeds brilliantly placed, clear in second. Defence seems to be a problem, although plenty of goals up front, with Max Gradel on fire. Need to strengthen in defence, and that is based on keeping McCartney and O'Brien - the next few weeks should be interesting as regards players coming in.   

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 28, 2010, 06:29:58 PM
FFS - four points thrown away over Christmas that if taken would have had Leeds brilliantly placed, clear in second. Defence seems to be a problem, although plenty of goals up front, with Max Gradel on fire. Need to strengthen in defence, and that is based on keeping McCartney and O'Brien - the next few weeks should be interesting as regards players coming in.

The above post seems an awful long time ago now. Back at Christmas, Leeds were in the middle of a run that brought something like one league defeat in over twenty games. However even back then, there was a concern that too many points were being dropped due to getting draws from winning positions. The recent run of form has been terrible, and Leeds fell out of the top six, at the week-end, for the first time since last November. Bad time to do it.

Only a miracle will see Leeds get into the play offs now, and given that is unlikely, need to start thinking ahead to the eighth season out of the top flight - the same number of seasons that Leeds were out of the top flight back in the 1980s, and back then that seemed like a lifetime.

It will be more difficult next year - three teams coming down with their parachute payments, who do not have major financial problems, so they will be able to invest more in their squads. Grayson is going to have to be shrewd in the market, but with Uncle Ken keeping a tight eye on the purse strings, it might be wishing too much to hope for promotion.

Ah well, following Leeds was never about the glory!!   :D

Billys Boots

QuoteAh well, following Leeds was never about the glory!!

That's for sure.

I didn't think this would be the year; hopefully they can hang on to their decent midfield and strengthen that defence.  There's nothing frightening coming down this season, irrespective of parachute payments. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mourne Rover

Realistically, most Leeds fans would have accepted a mid-table finish at the start of the season. However, having been close to the automatic promotion places for a lengthy period, and looking certainties for the play-offs, the decline over the last couple of months has been frustrating. The same thing happened at the same stage last season, and nearly kept us in league one for another year.

The basic problem is still that Leeds are vulnerable defensively and may need an entirely new back four in the summer. O'Brien is steady, but not getting any younger, Kisnorbo is excellent but has been out for over 12 months and may never be back, while none of the others have been fully convincing.

Grayson was not helped by the loss of form from Snodgrass and Bechio's injury, but the evidence is that his defensive organisation is suspect. He will need to put things right quickly for the start of next season.

Leeds still have a mathematical chance of going up, but they are pretty obviously not ready for it. They have had either a promotion, a relegation or a play-off campaign for each of the last five seasons, so a quiet finish and the opportunity to regroup may do no harm.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 26, 2011, 02:40:59 PM
Realistically, most Leeds fans would have accepted a mid-table finish at the start of the season. However, having been close to the automatic promotion places for a lengthy period, and looking certainties for the play-offs, the decline over the last couple of months has been frustrating. The same thing happened at the same stage last season, and nearly kept us in league one for another year.

The basic problem is still that Leeds are vulnerable defensively and may need an entirely new back four in the summer. O'Brien is steady, but not getting any younger, Kisnorbo is excellent but has been out for over 12 months and may never be back, while none of the others have been fully convincing.

Grayson was not helped by the loss of form from Snodgrass and Bechio's injury, but the evidence is that his defensive organisation is suspect. He will need to put things right quickly for the start of next season.

Leeds still have a mathematical chance of going up, but they are pretty obviously not ready for it. They have had either a promotion, a relegation or a play-off campaign for each of the last five seasons, so a quiet finish and the opportunity to regroup may do no harm.

Good post - in the context of the defensive issues, the absence of Kisnorbo was huge!

SLIGONIAN

At the start of the season i was shtting myself on us staying up, and i didnt have to worry about that all season. Last few weeks have been frustrating for sure but i have to accept that. Snodgrass is running on empty and who could blame him, Beechio injury was a big blow as paynter isnt close to his level imo.

The back line needs to be looked at big time, its a relegation defence no doubt and if we dont reinforce it puts serious pressure on the forwards again.

Kisnorbo is back in light training so should be back for start of next season, connolly and mccartney need to be ran, our squad does need overhaul and reinvestment.

Some photos to cheer us all up..

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Denn Forever

You still have Schmeichel and a good goakeeper is a good start.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

spuds

Halftime
Leeds 1   0 Burnley

33 mins. McCormack (1st goal for club)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

SLIGONIAN

SHould of been alot more comfortable, and goal diff is huge advantage for forest, should of won 5/6 nil, and that would of given us a big chance, played great stuff though, had the chances against Reading aswell, jees lately weve done well against the big teams and shit against bottom ones.

Come on Scunthorpe and swansea, nunez leeds player on loan at scunny.....

SLIGONIAN

Well its all over 7th, overall good season, need to sort out alot of positions, weve no defence but kinorsbo came on today :),  weve no depth up front with Beechio injured so need to get the check book out ken, need aholding midfielder aswell, eustace, pratley or southern will do... next yrs championship look onimous, gonna be a big ask to build on this season...

Marching on together,

maigheo

I am a manchester united fan all my life and for some reason i have always enjoyed reading this thread.I think it is because you know that the contributiors are genuine leeds united fans all there lives and continue to support them thro thick and thin.It would be nice to see them back in the top flight where I think a team with this huge suppott should be.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 08, 2011, 12:43:20 AM
Well its all over 7th, overall good season, need to sort out alot of positions, weve no defence but kinorsbo came on today :),  weve no depth up front with Beechio injured so need to get the check book out ken, need aholding midfielder aswell, eustace, pratley or southern will do... next yrs championship look onimous, gonna be a big ask to build on this season...

Marching on together,

Good sum up - still can't help but feel disappointed at missing out on the play offs, having been top six for so long, and throwing it away so late in the season with defeats at Derby an Palace.

The only two times I felt Leeds got serious goings over were at home to Cardiff and away to Swansea, so I'd have been hopeful for the play offs. The need for investment is obvious, but Uncle Ken has shown no inclination to provide anything meaningful. Larry will therefore have to pull off a minor miracle next season.