2019 Allianz National Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, December 19, 2018, 10:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Would have been good if Eddie sounded a bit more enthusiastic. Didn't really praise the Laois win at all!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

In fairness, it was an awkward position he was in. He managed to say a fair bit without giving away anything, and nicely ignored the question about player availability. What was he supposed to do - talk them up? Keep a lid on it? If he said they were great, he might sound like he was clapping himself on the back, and besides, there's no point getting carried away. Next week is really important, and who knows how that will go? His role as manager is different to his role as analyst, and he can't very well be talking out of school, as it were.

Keyser Söze

To be honest he shouldn't be there.
I have no negatives from the camp and no axe to grind with him or the set up but this should have been a prerequisite for getting the job.
It smacks of keeping his options open and face in the spotlight.
Laois won't be hurling beyond June and Eddie is available for the business end.
I think it's disrespectful.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on February 17, 2019, 11:40:46 PM
To be honest he shouldn't be there.
I have no negatives from the camp and no axe to grind with him or the set up but this should have been a prerequisite for getting the job.
It smacks of keeping his options open and face in the spotlight.
Laois won't be hurling beyond June and Eddie is available for the business end.
I think it's disrespectful.

Well said

No other Manager would double job in the way that he is doing this or be let away with it by a county board.

redsetanta

Has he been on every programme or was yesterday a 'guest appearance' from Eddie? It doesn't happen with other managers as said that's why I assumed it was a one off!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

marty34

Maybe it's part of his 'contract' - that he has to do a certain amount of programmes per season? Then he'll do a good few when the games come thick and fast later in the year i.e. 3 or 4 big games every week.

Don Draper

I wouldn't be too bothered about him being on last night. I'd have preferred he wasn't mind you. Interesting to listen on Woolies podcast that Joe Quaid was turned down for the Laois job in favour of him.

blueandwhite1

If he was a teacher or something else besides county manager would we be saying he shouldn't be doing it? He is still a full time Garda too. It's not as if Laois are paying the man millions. I think we should judge him by what he is getting out of the players and how they are responding to him. So far, he has had to deal with a significant number of no-shows by players for different reasons and has managed to get some positivity back into the setup. I know Offaly are struggling but the quality of the Laois performance on Saturday night was higher than it has been in a few years and we have a chance of avoiding relegation next week.

Will Lee Cleere be available next week? Any word on how Cha is doing?

Zooming around

I was very happy with the Laois performance on Saturday night. We showed a good level of maturity and composure, things which haven't been evident before. I also thought we were quite well set defensively. The forwards worked really hard. This earns you the right to go and play nice hurling with the ball, which we did. I know all the talk is about how poor Offaly were but it was very positive from Laois. 

merman

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 18, 2019, 09:54:57 AM
If he was a teacher or something else besides county manager would we be saying he shouldn't be doing it? He is still a full time Garda too. It's not as if Laois are paying the man millions. I think we should judge him by what he is getting out of the players and how they are responding to him. So far, he has had to deal with a significant number of no-shows by players for different reasons and has managed to get some positivity back into the setup. I know Offaly are struggling but the quality of the Laois performance on Saturday night was higher than it has been in a few years and we have a chance of avoiding relegation next week.

Was surprised Cha wasn't togged on Saturday. I've heard he's fit and flying in training. Hopefully they were keeping him at 100% for this coming weekend.
Lee will also be available.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: merman on February 18, 2019, 11:00:22 AM

Was surprised Cha wasn't togged on Saturday. I've heard he's fit and flying in training. Hopefully they were keeping him at 100% for this coming weekend.
Lee will also be available.

They would be great additions. Nice to see Lorcan Burke coming on Saturday also. His physical presence and aerial skills would add another dimension.

Keyser Söze

I've read the first part of this a few times & still can't get the point you are making.
He is an inter county manager appearing as a pundit on RTÉ. How is that not a conflict of interest?
The person I think this could damage most is Eddie. Imagine Cody's opinion on this?
When Cody goes, I don't think behaviour like this will be looked on as appropriate in terms of their replacement.

Anyways, hopefully it's not a regular thing and doesn't become a talking point. Nearly sorry I mentioned it now, Steven Miller will probably have a bounty on my head.

burdizzo

Eddie did look a bit sheepish at being there at all, I thought, and yes - it clearly is a conflict of interest. Perhaps it's as Marty34 said, that he has a contract to fulfil. Who knows, it's not a huge deal, but I did think the one presenting it might have had the nous not to ask him about the Laois/ Offaly game.
Also, what purpose does the camogie chick serve, apart from pandering to political correctness??! Dreadful.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: burdizzo on February 18, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
Eddie did look a bit sheepish at being there at all, I thought, and yes - it clearly is a conflict of interest. Perhaps it's as Marty34 said, that he has a contract to fulfil. Who knows, it's not a huge deal, but I did think the one presenting it might have had the nous not to ask him about the Laois/ Offaly game.
Also, what purpose does the camogie chick serve, apart from pandering to political correctness??! Dreadful.

You see I think you are looking at this from the wrong persepective. Once he was there she had to ask in my opinion, for her own professional integrity. It's not her job to protect him.

burdizzo

Fair enough. In any case, he waffled away without really saying anything, so as you say, if there is any harm done, it's probably to himself.