Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

I always have found McGuigan likeable enough in interviews and TV programmes but anyone I know that is in the boxing game hasn't a good word to say about him. McGuigan and Frampton's careers are so similar up to this point, it would be a shame to see them fall out like the Eastwood carryon. Hopefully Frampton can kick on and get a couple more big pay days in Vegas.

Atticus_Finch

I think this has been on the cards for quite a while but the timing now could work in Frampton's favour.

Santa Cruz vs Mares II has fallen through.  That elusive trilogy fight could now hopefully happen.

Will be interesting to see what the new promoter / coach arrangement is.  Early chat is that it will be Frank Warren / Adam Booth.  They've had a couple of differences in the past but I wouldn't rule out a return to Eddie Hearn.  Any differences between them before was largely due to Carl's loyalty to Barry McGuigan who didn't see eye to eye with Hearn.  Barry from everything i've heard from various sources isn't the easiest person in the world to work with.  The only reason the Frampton vs Quigg fight happened is because Barry stepped out of the picture and let Jake and Blaine McGuigan handle negotiations with Hearn.

Hearn like him or loathe him is the best in the business as a promoter and there's a better chance of getting the big fights / paydays by working with him.  You only have to look at the recent example of Ryan Burnett from being homeless sleeping in his car after leaving Ricky Hatton to teaming up with Hearn and getting a world title shot.  Hearn would surely relish having both Belfast fighters on his books.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

JimStynes

I like Eddie Hearn and love his interviews with IFL Kugan Cassius. Best promoter about. Can't stand your man Frank Warren.

gallsman

Only just catching up on the weekend's card there tonight. Christ, Chocolatito was badly knocked out by the Thai lad. I thought the decision in the first fight was a joke but there was obviously no arguing with that one.

There could be an absolutely brilliant fight to be made there against Naoya Inoue who looked fantastic in his own fight.

omaghjoe

Just watched Chocolatitio KO there. Contrary to prevailing opinion I thought he lost the first fight he was getting tagged the whole time.
I thought he would step up and win this rematch tho, he seemed like he had no confidence but maybe he is just too small for that weight
Unfortunately looks like a sad end to a great fighter

omaghjoe

Anyway onwards to the fight of the year...

Im going for GGG in 8. However Im not sure... Golovkin is past his best and Canelo is a great fighter, has the power to keep off Golovkin and his counterpunching could be the perfect match for Golvokin's walkdown, here's hoping its a great fight.

Didnt relaise BJ Saunders was defending his title against Willie Monroe as well

JimStynes

Haven't a clue how it's going to go! Canelo in his prime and GGG maybe slightly past his best. They're both easy enough hit but I think if anyone gets hit properly by GGG then they're going down! I just hope it's a good fight.

gallsman

I don't know how people can say GGG is past his best. He looked a bit ropey in his last fight against Jacobs is about the height of it. Whether that means he's in decline is complete guesswork.

nrico2006

People are quick to write off GGG based on a fight where he wasn't at his best, yet still won and knoced his man down.  Plus, Jacobs had a significant weight advantage on the night and was basically a LH.  Can't see Alvarez stopping GGG.  Be interesting to see if Alvarez can stay on his feet though, Mexicans are tough as hell but he won't have ever been hit by someone as strong as GGG. 

Be good to see that tool Saunders beat too, doesn't deserve the belt considering he has basically done nothing since winning it bar looking to fight bums in leisure centres.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Don Johnson

Monroe Jr 3/1 to beat Saunders. Surely that's value, I would have had it a lot closer than that.

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 15, 2017, 08:21:08 AM
People are quick to write off GGG based on a fight where he wasn't at his best, yet still won and knoced his man down.  Plus, Jacobs had a significant weight advantage on the night and was basically a LH.  Can't see Alvarez stopping GGG.  Be interesting to see if Alvarez can stay on his feet though, Mexicans are tough as hell but he won't have ever been hit by someone as strong as GGG. 

I'd agree with all this. Jacobs was huge in comparison to Golovkin. Really looking forward to this fight, should be a cracker

Walter Cronc

Any idea on how the GGG/Canelo fight can be purchased lads?

glens73

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 15, 2017, 10:20:31 AM

It's on Boxnation, if you have a BT Sports subscription (in the uk) then the SD channel on Boxnation is included.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: glens73 on September 15, 2017, 11:05:12 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 15, 2017, 10:20:31 AM

It's on Boxnation, if you have a BT Sports subscription (in the uk) then the SD channel on Boxnation is included.

Cheers Glens. I don't have BT. Can I pay a one off fee do you know?