GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quite apart from Rachel Wyse, who actually does a good job as a presenter despite Syferus' opinion that she's just eye candy, I found the contributions of James Horan, Peter Canavan, Jamsie O'Connor and Ollie Canning to be more interesting than the nonsense on the RTÉ panel. I also think Dave McIntyre is a good commentator, although I can't warm to Finnerty commentating. All in all I wouldn't dismiss sky's coverage with a Brolly style eye candy comment.

Dinny Breen

I watch Sky over RTE much better coverage. But I prefer Finnerty to McIntyre, that probably tells you more about AZ than me  :D
#newbridgeornowhere

JoG2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 23, 2017, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 22, 2017, 07:20:24 PM
Sky has been a total failure in all but a financial sense. But that seems to be the only thing HQ judges any aspect of the sport on these days.

How much have you watched SKY?  If you find it so objectionable it is not unreasonable to assume you don't actually watch it and so your comments have no credibility.  Your objections to SKY are purely political.

When RTE has put football on RTE1 which doesn't broadcast in HD it is almost unwatchable with its fuzzy broadcast on HD TVs while SKY has always offered HD.

First World problems? What about all the men and women gaa volunteers who put in endless hours each week,  unable to watch the game they help create? Football quarter finals exclusively behind Murdochs pay wall is an absolute disgrace and the decision makers in Coke Pk should be ashamed of decisions like these

Dougal Maguire

I am one of those volunteers and while I am glad to see the exposure the Sky involvement gives the game, I agree that every match from Provincial Finals on, should be on both platforms.
Careful now

Rossfan

My only gripe with Sky is only using players' surnames when giving team  line outs.
I agree with AZ on the analysts and anytime I do listen to half time stuff always switch to Sky.

Genuine question - What percentage of GAA volunteers haven't got Sky? ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: JoG2 on September 23, 2017, 09:57:47 AM
Sky has been a total failure in all but a financial sense. But that seems to be the only thing HQ judges any aspect of the sport on these days.

How much have you watched SKY?  If you find it so objectionable it is not unreasonable to assume you don't actually watch it and so your comments have no credibility.  Your objections to SKY are purely political.

When RTE has put football on RTE1 which doesn't broadcast in HD it is almost unwatchable with its fuzzy broadcast on HD TVs while SKY has always offered HD.

First World problems? What about all the men and women gaa volunteers who put in endless hours each week,  unable to watch the game they help create? Football quarter finals exclusively behind Murdochs pay wall is an absolute disgrace and the decision makers in Coke Pk should be ashamed of decisions like these

There's not one single game that's "exclusively" behind Murdoch's paywall. You can go to the match. Being a volunteer doesn't give you the right to see every game free of charge without getting off your couch. You never had that right and you're never going to have it.

Oh and the GAA volunteers outside of Ireland put in more effort than you can imagine.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 08, 2018, 05:50:23 AM

There's not one single game that's "exclusively" behind Murdoch's paywall. You can go to the match. Being a volunteer doesn't give you the right to see every game free of charge without getting off your couch. You never had that right and you're never going to have it.

Oh and the GAA volunteers outside of Ireland put in more effort than you can imagine.
Well said.

JoG2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 08, 2018, 05:50:23 AM

I'm never done going to games. 2 football q/f's were only on Murdoch's Sky last year.  I'm not asking for every game to be free, of course I'm not, I'm asking that those who provide the games don't have to pay a multi-billion pound empire like Sky for the privilege of watching their games. I honestly don't understand how games exclusive behind a Sky paywall sits well with folk.

Oh, and I've helped setup a uni team, played in Britain for 4 years and the US for 2, I know the craic!

Esmarelda

JoG2, I agree that the two quarter finals being on Sky is a bit of a pain.

But apart from that, currently, is it a big deal really?

tippabu

I see cork limerick in the Munster hurling championship has been moved to Saturday night for sky, if tipp manage to beat waterford in football the cork hurlers and footballers will both be playing on that saturday night, one in thurles one in cork.

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on January 08, 2018, 10:54:37 AM

Do you not feel their grip is tightening and will continue to do so? Did they have exclusive quarter finals 2 years ago?

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on January 08, 2018, 11:14:29 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on January 08, 2018, 10:54:37 AM

Do you not feel their grip is tightening and will continue to do so? Did they have exclusive quarter finals 2 years ago?
As far as I know they had a deal for three years which included two exclusive quarter finals. This was renewed and we're now in the second year of the second deal. I think the terms are exactly the same.

Who knows what might happen down the road. Maybe Brolly's predictions will be correct. But, as it stands, I'm happy enough with it. I'm glad the UK are getting to see our sports and am happy to not be able to see a couple of games.

BennyHarp

Quote from: orangeman on January 07, 2018, 11:55:24 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-aib-sky-and-other-brands-will-complete-cultural-hijacking-of-the-gaa-if-new-director-general-doesnt-act-36464318.html

Horse has bolted. It's going to be difficult getting him back into the stable.

I just can't help thinking that Joe would love to be on Sky. I think he pictured himself on Soccer AM joking with Tubes and taking the hand out of Chris Kamara on Goals on Sunday. Like a little child when he didn't get the gig he has decided to make it clear he didn't want it anyway.

What Joe is talking about in this article is a development, that for good or bad is reflected in every aspect of modern life, and you either embrace it or be left behind. If it wasn't Sky or AIB it would be someone else. I have my concerns about how modern society is developing in many aspects of life but Sky showing a few extra games of GAA isn't the ruination of everything that we hold dear. A bit of perspective, please, Joe.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 12:06:17 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 07, 2018, 11:55:24 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-aib-sky-and-other-brands-will-complete-cultural-hijacking-of-the-gaa-if-new-director-general-doesnt-act-36464318.html

Horse has bolted. It's going to be difficult getting him back into the stable.

I just can't help thinking that Joe would love to be on Sky. I think he pictured himself on Soccer AM joking with Tubes and taking the hand out of Chris Kamara on Goals on Sunday. Like a little child when he didn't get the gig he has decided to make it clear he didn't want it anyway.

What Joe is talking about in this article is a development, that for good or bad is reflected in every aspect of modern life, and you either embrace it or be left behind. If it wasn't Sky or AIB it would be someone else. I have my concerns about how modern society is developing in many aspects of life but Sky showing a few extra games of GAA isn't the ruination of everything that we hold dear. A bit of perspective, please, Joe.

You read an article like that, which is, let's face it, heartfelt and a rallying call to the new DG to keep a hold of our games, and you think the author is jealous he isn't on Sky?

The first bit in bold, referring to the GAA being left ebhind, be left behind from what or who?

The 2nd bit in bold, again, you read that article and think it's about a few extra games?

Sky, much like the likes of Apple etc are so entrenched that folk get all defensive if anyone says bad word about them.