It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockahoop

Quote from: red hander on July 07, 2014, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: cockahoop on July 07, 2014, 03:30:32 PM
on a slightly different note,the irish news have a lot to answer for,every day they pick up on petty things like the ivory coast flag missing from a pub in the shankill road!!once bad enough but every bloody day now they have latched onto the union jack put up on a lamp post inside church grounds in dervock,ok it should not have happened but to go on and on about it only creates more tension.

Aye, let's ignore it and it will go away ... talk about shooting the messenger.

no not at all but i hardly think giving a daily update on weather a pub on the shankill road has the ivory coast flag up or not is news worthy,yes the flag in dervock is a issue but does a flag stuck on a flag pole on the edge of church property offensive?maybe for some but ive yet to hear a view from the local priest only from some politician jumping on the band wagon,read todays report and i quote "it is understood sunday mass went ahead despite the loyalist display"..why on under god would mass be cancelled because a flag was put up?? bloody sensationalism to stoke up a reaction in my opinion.

Orior

Some person came up with a plan to reroute the parade through a neighbouring loyalist area. Did anyone else read about that? Seemed like a sensible idea.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

cockahoop

Quote from: Orior on July 07, 2014, 05:23:05 PM
Some person came up with a plan to reroute the parade through a neighbouring loyalist area. Did anyone else read about that? Seemed like a sensible idea.

it definately does but that would take a few sensible politicians to sort that out and im afraid to say they are few and far between,proacative parades through nationalist areas are not on but i do believe if dealt with correctly at the time (15 years ago) these issues would have been sorted eg Derry and apprentice boys,but instead a problem has become a monster in our society where its got to the stage nobody is prepared to move and the more residents say no the more loyalists protest,i firmly belive some resident groups and republican representitves have been to the orange order what thatcher was to the IRA in the 70's early 80's,ie recruiting agents

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: OakleafCounty on July 07, 2014, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: The Trap on July 07, 2014, 12:54:07 PM
What would happen in Ardoyne on Saturday if there were no police or no media present?

I'd say either a bloodbath or nothing at all.
you would struggle to find 2 wider extremes than these

Jeepers Creepers

Sensible. Now there's a word you don't often hear when discussing the OO. Why walk through a neighbouring loyalist area where there's no-one to antagonise!?

red hander

It is a sensible idea, that's why there's no chance of it happening ... how would they be able to coat-trail in triumph and abuse the people of Ardoyne, sure that's what it's all about. The people at Twaddell are the same people who threw blast bombs and bottles of piss at little girls going to school at Holy Cross 13-14 years ago

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on July 07, 2014, 01:53:29 PM
Quote from: The Trap on July 07, 2014, 12:54:07 PM
What would happen in Ardoyne on Saturday if there were no police or no media present?

A battle of the boyne'esque' re-enactment that Hollywood would struggle to re-create

Who'd 'triumph' this time?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

HiMucker

Quote from: cockahoop on July 07, 2014, 05:34:12 PM

it definately does but that would take a few sensible politicians to sort that out and im afraid to say they are few and far between,proacative parades through nationalist areas are not on but i do believe if dealt with correctly at the time (15 years ago) these issues would have been sorted eg Derry and apprentice boys,but instead a problem has become a monster in our society where its got to the stage nobody is prepared to move and the more residents say no the more loyalists protest,i firmly belive some resident groups and republican representitves have been to the orange order what thatcher was to the IRA in the 70's early 80's,ie recruiting agents
OO membership has been rapidly dropping year on year since the early 90s if I'm not mistaken

cockahoop

Quote from: HiMucker on July 07, 2014, 07:45:46 PM

OO membership has been rapidly dropping year on year since the early 90s if I'm not mistaken

The bbc did a piece last week where loyalist bands have nearly doubled and the orange order have become a lot stronger

NAG1

Quote from: cockahoop on July 07, 2014, 07:52:51 PM

The bbc did a piece last week where loyalist bands have nearly doubled and the orange order have become a lot stronger

These are not mutually exclusive, loyalist band membership could be on the rise with the OO on the decline.

glens abu

Quote from: NAG1 on July 08, 2014, 08:44:56 AM
Quote from: cockahoop on July 07, 2014, 07:52:51 PM

These are not mutually exclusive, loyalist band membership could be on the rise with the OO on the decline.

That band membership is mostly a Belfast thing

Keyser soze

Quote from: cockahoop on July 07, 2014, 05:17:48 PM
on a slightly different note,the irish news have a lot to answer for,every day they pick up on petty things like the ivory coast flag missing from a pub in the shankill road!!once bad enough but every bloody day now they have latched onto the union jack put up on a lamp post inside church grounds in dervock,ok it should not have happened but to go on and on about it only creates more tension.

no not at all but i hardly think giving a daily update on weather a pub on the shankill road has the ivory coast flag up or not is news worthy,yes the flag in dervock is a issue but does a flag stuck on a flag pole on the edge of church property offensive?maybe for some but ive yet to hear a view from the local priest only from some politician jumping on the band wagon,read todays report and i quote "it is understood sunday mass went ahead despite the loyalist display"..why on under god would mass be cancelled because a flag was put up?? bloody sensationalism to stoke up a reaction in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28203619

It's not just the Irish News thats highlighting this issue.

cockahoop

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 08, 2014, 09:57:34 AM

highlighting it and sensationalism is two separate things

Keyser soze

Quote from: cockahoop on July 08, 2014, 10:43:00 AM

As far as I can see the IN reported the "fact" that mass went ahead. It is you who sensationalised the issue by asking 2why...would mass be cancelled" which wasnt mentioned in the article.

Fair enough, this is a trivial issue, unless you're a catholic from Dervock i suppose.

cockahoop

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 08, 2014, 11:41:56 AM
Quote from: cockahoop on July 08, 2014, 10:43:00 AM

As far as I can see the IN reported the "fact" that mass went ahead. It is you who sensationalised the issue by asking 2why...would mass be cancelled" which wasnt mentioned in the article.

Fair enough, this is a trivial issue, unless you're a catholic from Dervock i suppose.

how do you know?a catholic from Dervock hasnt been asked which is exactly my point

yes i asked why mass would be cancelled in response to the irish news stating it went ahead,whats that got to do with the price of fish?its like reporting Neymar  is injured "but the Brazil v Germany will go ahead",why would it not go ahead?