It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

PR disaster from SF. They had the opportunity to be magnanimous by holding the commemoration in a field and in doing so keep their foot on the throat of the OO. The OO in the Crumlin Road and elsewhere now have further fuel for their feeling of persecution.

NAG1

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 02, 2013, 06:31:37 AM
Quote from: glens abu on August 01, 2013, 08:26:46 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 01, 2013, 08:16:03 PM
Having "the right" does not necessarily mean its the right thing to exercise it, particularly when the position exists to show leadership, and a genuine desire for a shared future while the neanderthals on the loyalist/unionist side demonstrate their total loss of control

Sorry but SF will not abandon the families of dead volunteers, they will always join them in remembering their loved ones.A shared future means we all should be allowed to remember our past as long as its done with respect and by offering to reroute I believe SF tried to do that.
If the UDA / UVF decided to march to commemorate their dead volunteers and a mainstream unionist politician was giving the main speech, nationalists and republicans would quite naturally outraged. Why should it be different when it's members of IRA death squads being remembered?

Have you seen some of the OO parades, perfectly described by you above.

SF might not have played this as well as they could have but they have still shown the willingness to sit down and at least discuss the possibility of compromise. Even this small gesture shows the OO for what they are.

The rights and wrongs of the parade could be discussed all day, those who dont want it never will and those that do see it as their right as part of a war to commemorate their fallen comrades. Just another part of conflict resolution.

Tonto

Anyone who thinks that PSF made a genuine compromise needs their head looked at.

In the first instance they applied for something they knew would be too controversial so that just before a decision was made they would look like they were willing to compromise; thereby walking away with exactly what they actually wanted.

Come to think of it, maybe the OO should apply to parade right through Ardoyne, then just before a decision is made, change to a route to go past, I dunno, a few shops.  Compromise - the way forward.

PS delighted to see PSFs mask slip on this again.  Just a pity that in this day and age a governing party of the UK still feel the need to honour those who wished to blow up a small country town.

Time for PSF to become decent.

theskull1

Why do republicans feel the need to ape unionist culture. That's how I see it. They're copying what we all despise. There is zero need to drag themselves down to the OOs level to win some phoney equality but that's what they appear to be doing.
Personally wish parading as a pastime was never invented. Vision's of many hangers on on Sunday from both sides, basking in the controversy. Completely and utterly pointless
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on August 02, 2013, 08:43:05 AM
Why do republicans feel the need to ape unionist culture. That's how I see it. They're copying what we all despise. There is zero need to drag themselves down to the OOs level to win some phoney equality but that's what they appear to be doing.
Personally wish parading as a pastime was never invented. Vision's of many hangers on on Sunday from both sides, basking in the controversy. Completely and utterly pointless

+1

qubdub

I've heard that SF were half-hoping that this parade would get banned so that they could set some sort of precedent for future OO parades, but I dunno how much weighting to give that assertion.

glens abu

Quote from: qubdub on August 02, 2013, 09:27:04 AM
I've heard that SF were half-hoping that this parade would get banned so that they could set some sort of precedent for future OO parades, but I dunno how much weighting to give that assertion.

Just a bit of information for you,the parade cannot be banned and SF know that so you are listening to crap.

qubdub

Quote from: glens abu on August 02, 2013, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: qubdub on August 02, 2013, 09:27:04 AM

Just a bit of information for you,the parade cannot be banned and SF know that so you are listening to crap.
Every day's a school day.

naka

can we just ban all parades 8)
seems to me a sensible suggestion

on another thought the fkers who are complaining will just find something else to hang on to

armaghniac

The OO is actually damaging the PUl cause by their carry-on and SF carry-on is often an embarrassment to nationalism. SF are more flexible though, because their voters demand it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omagh_gael

Why not have an event in a 'green' area of the town. Some sort speechs, bit of music, burger vans and let that be that. Are the two dead 'volunteers' going to be more honoured by marching through the diamond? I hardly think so. I fully agree with the right to honour the people who died during the conflict. I just don't see the need to march around the place to do it like our unionist brethren. We are not that insecure or sort on real culture.

Rossfan

Quote from: Tonto on August 02, 2013, 08:39:48 AM
Just a pity that in this day and age a governing party of the UK still feel the need to honour those who wished to blow up a small country town.

Time for PSF to become decent.

Do you want them to be like  the UK government ( and opposition) parties who never honour the memory of those who bombed Dresden, Hamburg, Iraqi towns, Afghan towns, murdered civilians ( like e.g in Derry) all over Ireland in the 20th Century etc and so on ad nauseum for hundreds of years.
Is that the kind of decency you have in mind  you oul blinkered hypocrite. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

I don't believe any cause is worth a life. I can't understand why people feel the need to march. That said I am dumbfounded by the straight faced hypocrisy of unionist politicians. The only difference between all vintages of the IRA, the British Army and the old UVF is time and which side they were on. A truly shared future and parity of esteem means acknowledging all allegiances, orange and green and all flags and emblems as being equal. That particular penny hasn't quite dropped for unionists.

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 02, 2013, 11:12:17 AM
I don't believe any cause is worth a life. I can't understand why people feel the need to march. That said I am dumbfounded by the straight faced hypocrisy of unionist politicians. The only difference between all vintages of the IRA, the British Army and the old UVF is time and which side they were on. A truly shared future and parity of esteem means acknowledging all allegiances, orange and green and all flags and emblems as being equal. That particular penny hasn't quite dropped for unionists.
Compare the Brits with other regular armed forces and paramilitary groups with other irregular forces - otherwise it's just a case of comparing apples and bananas.