It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I have always wondered should the parades commission publish a fully objective set of criteria to measure which parades can be passed and which can not.

If they did I guess it would be hard to guess how to measure it. Maybe a number of objections or something.

The Orange Order should be made to pay the policing costs in north belfast today. I fully believe that. It will never happen mind you.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 20, 2013, 11:05:35 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on July 20, 2013, 09:23:20 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 18, 2013, 04:14:23 PM
Evil Genius and Myles NaGabshite have also been abnormally quiet recently.  ::)

Luckily, after having nothing to say about loyalist riots until prompted to do so, Myles has appeared in his own whataboutery style in order to almost immediately change the subject to a nationalist parade through a mainly nationalist town in a few weeks. Oddly, he has never come on this board to complain about the countless loyalist parades which go through that same majority nationalist town every single year though.
So it's okay to have a provocative parade if you have a majority in the area? What is the percentage breakdown at which point it becomes okay? Castlederg is about 60:40, is that your bottom line figure?
You changed the subject to Castlederg's nationalist parade in a majority nationalist town, not me. You seemed to gloss over your lack of comment on the many loyalist parades which march through that same majority nationalist town countless times a year, and the violent sectarian attacks on Catholic people and Catholic owned property which regularly accompanies those particular events. Just like you'd have happily avoided commenting on loyalist rioting in Belfast here until you were called out on it (even though you did almost immediately attempt to change the subject and start a fairly poor whataboutery argument to do so).
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 20, 2013, 12:25:24 PM

Luckily, after having nothing to say about loyalist riots until prompted to do so, Myles has appeared in his own whataboutery style in order to almost immediately change the subject to a nationalist parade through a mainly nationalist town in a few weeks. Oddly, he has never come on this board to complain about the countless loyalist parades which go through that same majority nationalist town every single year though.
So it's okay to have a provocative parade if you have a majority in the area? What is the percentage breakdown at which point it becomes okay? Castlederg is about 60:40, is that your bottom line figure?
You changed the subject to Castlederg's nationalist parade in a majority nationalist town, not me. You seemed to gloss over your lack of comment on the many loyalist parades which march through that same majority nationalist town countless times a year, and the violent sectarian attacks on Catholic people and Catholic owned property which regularly accompanies those particular events. Just like you'd have happily avoided commenting on loyalist rioting in Belfast here until you were called out on it (even though you did almost immediately attempt to change the subject and start a fairly poor whataboutery argument to do so).
I've already said I'm against contentious parades, wherever they take place and whomsoever they involve. You - and Gerry Kelly - seem to be against contentious parades when they involve loyalists, but all in favour if they're republican. Feel free to clarify if I've got that wrong. And since you seem to want me to speak out against the blatantly bleedin' obvious each and every time, can I put on record that I'm totally against world hunger, high rates of infant mortality in developing countries, and dog fouling in public areas. That's not an exhaustive list, BTW. I'll add to it as we go along.

muppet

I think the Orange Order has achieved exactly what it set out to do.

Each of these events re-loads all the historical bigotry, fear and mistrust, and sets the whole society back 30 years.

They only need to do this every decade or so to be effective.
MWWSI 2017

naka

Not a republican but from my understanding of republican parades they don't go down loyalist streets
Orangeman seem to think Catholics ( not republicans nor nationalists but Catholics as a whole) need to be reminded who is the boss in NI and they don't like it when people stand up to them.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 20, 2013, 12:50:58 PM

I've already said I'm against contentious parades, wherever they take place and whomsoever they involve. You - and Gerry Kelly - seem to be against contentious parades when they involve loyalists, but all in favour if they're republican. Feel free to clarify if I've got that wrong. And since you seem to want me to speak out against the blatantly bleedin' obvious each and every time, can I put on record that I'm totally against world hunger, high rates of infant mortality in developing countries, and dog fouling in public areas. That's not an exhaustive list, BTW. I'll add to it as we go along.
Genuinely interested in the list of contentious nationalist parades passing through predominantly unionist/loyalist areas. Care to offer a list...

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 20, 2013, 02:58:50 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 20, 2013, 12:50:58 PM

Genuinely interested in the list of contentious nationalist parades passing through predominantly unionist/loyalist areas. Care to offer a list...
A parade doesn't have to 'pass through' territory to be contentious. The disputed parade in north Belfast doesn't 'pass through' Ardoyne - it passes between nationalist Ardoyne and loyalist Twaddell Avenue. The Garvaghy Road parade used to pass by a nationalist area rather than through it, while the loyalist march down Clifton Street passes by the nationalist Carrick Hill area. The Castlederg parade is contentious (as I understand) not because it passes through a loyalist area, but because the proposed route takes it past a protestant church, a war memorial and the site of two or three murders of local people by the IRA. Most people would view that as insensitive at the very least. Irish republicans, however, don't do sensitivity unless they themselves have been directly affected. Gerry Kelly can see that a loyalist march past Ardoyne is contentious, but seemingly is incapable of putting himself in the shoes of IRA victims in the Castlederg area. Like I said, leadership on both the unionist and the nationalist side of our society is abysmal.

lynchbhoy

ah jays myles, while i'm against dog fouling etc, I dont think you are comparing like for like there.

a republican parade that you believe is in poor taste isnt quite the same as marching along nationalist st or in front of Catholic churches etc
I'd be interested to hear if there are any let alone many republican marches down loyalist/unionist streets since you (and tony b) have brought it up.

Eamonnca1

New rule: Anyone who claims the Garvaghy Rd is not a nationalist area has to walk from one end of it to the other in a Rangers top, carrying a Union Jack, alone, and unarmed.

Wildweasel74

u be safe enough, its pretty deserted at times lol, try a Tyrone jersey and see how far you get!!

qubdub

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 20, 2013, 06:42:02 PM
New rule: Anyone who claims the Garvaghy Rd is not a nationalist area has to walk from one end of it to the other in a Rangers top, carrying a Union Jack, alone, and unarmed.
x2
If there's one thing you're doing walking the length of the g road it's walking through a nationalist area!!  ::) myles you wally

Eamonnca1

For his next trick he's going to claim the Falls Rd isn't a nationalist area, it's just a road that happens to have nationalist houses and businesses on either side of it.

imtommygunn

I wonder what these boys have planned next. I have a funny feeling they could do something like apply for that parade every weekend.

muppet

Of course there is an extreme ideology that would espouse that there are no Nationalist areas whatsoever in the 6 counties.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 21, 2013, 09:18:46 AM
I wonder what these boys have planned next. I have a funny feeling they could do something like apply for that parade every weekend.
Have they not already said that is the plan? On the basis of cost the parade should be banned in its entirety never mind the Ardoyne/Twadell section