It Must be Marching Season

Started by Nally Stand, June 27, 2011, 11:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveaharp

[/quote]

and I can't help get the feeling the same men would quite happily march down Protestant streets to prove how Irish they are.
[/quote]

But they don't. Its high time the government called their bluff and said any more trouble and the lot is banned.

haveaharp

Quote from: EC Unique on July 14, 2013, 01:29:46 PM
Sooner or later the cops are going to have to storm the rioters, make mass arrests, fine and jail the thugs. If this happened a few times it is bound to die off.

Don't be holding your breath.

theskull1

Quote from: armaghniac on July 14, 2013, 01:10:23 PM
In Belfast and some other places, nationalists have little connection with broader Irish society and sometimes exhibit the odious characteristics of loyalism in reverse, so they are defined by the loyalists and their response to them.

Now theres an ugly truth. Following Celtic, and Cliftonville or the Candy Stripes, swallying and hating the other side sums up a huge percentage of the nationalist population in build up areas. Stand a street away and any flute band and you wouldn't know from listening which "side" they're on.   

After a lifetime of watching parades of all descriptions I've developed a loathing of all of them due to the clear undercurrents. Its difficult to know who's aping who at times.

Just watched the BBCs run down of the 12th "celebrations" and you would almost think those undercurrents didn't exist. Unbelievable journalism. They look untouchable

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

It is a funny mindset all the same.

March down the road.
No smiling.
Listen to load of politician's speeches.
March back up the road.
No smiling.
Get really angry when you can't do what you were told you wouldn't be able to do.
Do one or two of the following:
* no smiling & riot; 
* no smiling & go home;

Immediately start looking forward to next year.
MWWSI 2017

Aerlik

I had to have a wee chuckle to myself while at the AFL game today.  This weekend was multicultural round, celebrating the huge range of ethnicities which makes up the Australian population and those who play the game.  To acknowledge this the goal umpires used orange instead of white score flags.

Apparently orange is the international colour of multiculturalism. 

Somehow that honourable intention has been lost this weekend (as ever) in the six counties.

And for the record, I absolutely effing LOATHE all marches. 
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

seafoid

NI is a failed colonial project. Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on July 14, 2013, 12:15:58 AM
Quote from: red hander on July 13, 2013, 11:36:51 PM
These scum are going to push it hoping Baggott will cave in, and you can understand their strategy, even though they are the thickest idiots who have ever lived (where's your masks, you stupid orange c***ts?) Baggott is a pathetic ceasefire soldier of the highest order and if it all goes pear shape these british c***ts will revert to type and force these tramps down the road, beating Irish people off the road... i'll be happy to be proved wrong

I really can't see that happening. The peelers now have over 1000 cops over from 'the mainland'. They have no intention of giving in.

Baggot seems to have got this one right. He now knows the PSNI haven't the moral fibre to see through Loyalist protests and manned the contentious areas with imports from English constabularies who haven't got the same baggage.
The DUP were bleating about the lack of local officers in Ardoyne who'd have a greater 'understanding' of these things.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: thewobblerBut it's the 'nationalists' who cannot comment on the order without diatribes against one or more of a) Protestantism, b) the UK, or c) the PSNI, that get my goat up. It's not an observation about events so much as blinkered promotion of a narrow agenda. Which is basically bigotry, and I can't help get the feeling the same men would quite happily march down Protestant streets to prove how Irish they are.

Quote from: glens73I personally can't stand the bigots but would have no desire whatsoever to ram my Irish culture down their throats and I think that would be the opinion of a lot of Nationalists.

In Belfast and some other places, nationalists have little connection with broader Irish society and sometimes exhibit the odious characteristics of loyalism in reverse, so they are defined by the loyalists and their response to them.

I have come across these Celtic jersey wearing types. They think that Mary McAleese is still President and that she runs the Irish government. They don't know what a Taoiseach or the Dail is. They know f**k all about the GAA. They use ignorant words to describe the Unionist community and the people of the Republic and are not very complimentary of those West of the Bann neither. I have come across ones who thought that Northern Ireland was invaded by the United Kingdom and it was taken from the Republic ("Free State") during an early 20'th century invasion. They never seen RTE in their life. The live for Man.Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Celtic. They watch Britains got talent like their life depends on it. They often confuse the word Britain for United Kingdom and they call Stephens Day, Boxing Day.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theticklemister

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 15, 2013, 02:13:44 PM
Quote from: thewobblerBut it's the 'nationalists' who cannot comment on the order without diatribes against one or more of a) Protestantism, b) the UK, or c) the PSNI, that get my goat up. It's not an observation about events so much as blinkered promotion of a narrow agenda. Which is basically bigotry, and I can't help get the feeling the same men would quite happily march down Protestant streets to prove how Irish they are.

Quote from: glens73I personally can't stand the bigots but would have no desire whatsoever to ram my Irish culture down their throats and I think that would be the opinion of a lot of Nationalists.

I have come across these Celtic jersey wearing types. They think that Mary McAleese is still President and that she runs the Irish government. They don't know what a Taoiseach or the Dail is. They know f**k all about the GAA. They use ignorant words to describe the Unionist community and the people of the Republic and are not very complimentary of those West of the Bann neither. I have come across ones who thought that Northern Ireland was invaded by the United Kingdom and it was taken from the Republic ("Free State") during an early 20'th century invasion. They never seen RTE in their life. The live for Man.Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Celtic. They watch Britains got talent like their life depends on it. They often confuse the word Britain for United Kingdom and they call Stephens Day, Boxing Day.
Ye should join a GAA club over there in Liverpool and sort the whole mess out.

qubdub

Agree. Detest the 'aping' that goes on on 'our' side i.e. Republican flute bands, burning effigies/flags on bonfires. Pile of shite.

lynchbhoy

I've no problem with flute bands from either side.
the ,music, the garb of the bands people - its very entertaning as as most of the tunes from either side.
I'd see this as something that could be retained as 'culture' for the future,as well as murals on walls etc.

the problem is the knuckledragger behaviour from a lot of the hangers on associated with such bands.

Bands should be allowed to dress up, march and play in parades wherever, they add to a sense of historical value imo.
But any political chants or banners etc should be done away with.

I'd think tourists would love to see the musical marching bands en route.
They certainly add to the occasion when playing at GAA matches (bands -brass/flute/accordian bands etc)

I even quite like the tune 'the sash' but not if it was accompanied by neanderthals roaring abuse and threatening me/my property etc

qubdub

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 15, 2013, 03:37:07 PM
the ,music, the garb of the bands people - its very entertaning as as most of the tunes from either side.
I'd see this as something that could be retained as 'culture' for the future,as well as murals on walls etc.

the problem is the knuckledragger behaviour from a lot of the hangers on associated with such bands.

Bands should be allowed to dress up, march and play in parades wherever, they add to a sense of historical value imo.

They certainly add to the occasion when playing at GAA matches (bands -brass/flute/accordian bands etc)

I even quite like the tune 'the sash' but not if it was accompanied by neanderthals roaring abuse and threatening me/my property etc
Parading in general (Orangemen) has me intrigued to a certain degree. I've seen parading up close at the 12th and have never witnessed such crap in my life. Why tourists would want to watch it is beyond me (Drunken louts, rubbish, aggressive and sectarian behaviour etc)

What I wouldn't mind checking out is some of the smaller rural parades. Just to see what the craic is. They seem to me to be slightly less hostile than the fare you'd get in Belfast.

glens abu

Quote from: qubdub on July 15, 2013, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 15, 2013, 03:37:07 PM

Parading in general (Orangemen) has me intrigued to a certain degree. I've seen parading up close at the 12th and have never witnessed such crap in my life. Why tourists would want to watch it is beyond me (Drunken louts, rubbish, aggressive and sectarian behaviour etc)

What I wouldn't mind checking out is some of the smaller rural parades. Just to see what the craic is. They seem to me to be slightly less hostile than the fare you'd get in Belfast.

I can assure you it is much the same.I was out all day on the twelfth in Newtownabbey were the Antrim lodges held their twelfth.They stopped outside St.Bernards Chapel and played the sash,spat at at lamppost were a Tricolour happened to be flying,played the sash and hammered their drums when they passed the two Catholic estates and made insulting gestures towards any locals who they perceived as Catholic.Very sad individuals indeed.

lynchbhoy

thats what I said though- its the accompanying idiots that make this an eyesore and people looking for them to be banned.

I have seen many republican flute band parades in my youth and there was never anything like that carry on.

I expect that the unionist/loyalist side can do the same and thus make their parades and music playing more palatable to everyone, tourists included.

To be fair, their uniforms are very colourful and a lot brighter/dramatic than more or less all of the republican flute bands I can recall.

if anything, they (loyalist/unionist/oo bands) often look a bit like a gay pride march - though I am pretty sure they wouldnt be happy hearing that.

Hereiam

At the end of the day the OO only exists to help celeabrate a homosexual leader wining a scuffle in Co. Meath a couple of thousand yrs ago. The mordern day with youtube etc will show the world what these scumbags are really like.

Was interesting to see the cover pages of both the Irish news and news letter on saturday, said it all really.