Kildare v Tyrone - Newbridgeornowhere June 29th

Started by Dinny Breen, June 24, 2019, 09:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Sky have Sky Sports Arena (ch 408) blocked off on Saturday from 4pm to 10pm to cater for two live qualifiers.

Without doubt, these will be Mayo v Armagh and Kildare v Tyrone. Only thing to decide is the order.

There also has to be a proviso that the second one doesn't start till the first one is over (i.e. accounting for extra time), so wouldn't rule out a move to a double bill (although wouldn't bet on that outcome).

Esmarelda

Surely a banana skin and/or egg on face are enough of a health and safety issue to move the game.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2019, 12:21:49 PM
It that the final word, the game can only be moved out of Newbridge against Kildare's wishes if some person with a clip board can find a genuine health and safety issue with the stadium?
The venue was absolutely fine for both the Mayo & Galway games last year and they were probably 2 of the better football games in last years championship - the venue definitely contributed to that IMO - would be almost zero atmosphere in a double header in CP.

BennyCake

Quote from: Esmarelda on June 24, 2019, 12:40:39 PM
Surely a banana skin and/or egg on face are enough of a health and safety issue to move the game.

Lol don't give them any ideas!

Rossfan

Seeing as neither County has a bandwagon rolling this year it will be in Newbridge with an all ticket limit of around 8,000.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 24, 2019, 12:41:32 PM
It that the final word, the game can only be moved out of Newbridge against Kildare's wishes if some person with a clip board can find a genuine health and safety issue with the stadium?
The venue was absolutely fine for both the Mayo & Galway games last year and they were probably 2 of the better football games in last years championship - the venue definitely contributed to that IMO - would be almost zero atmosphere in a double header in CP.
I'd agree and the certainty of Croke Park dampening genuine championship atmosphere.

The rules of the competition state clearly
2)  Venues: Home Venues shall be used in Rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifier Series,
with the first Team drawn having Home Advantage.

Hound

Is Croke Park even free I wonder? If it was, I'd say Mayo County Board and James Horan would agree to a Croke Park double bill in a heartbeat.

The Croke Park attendance would probably be a fair bit more than the combined attendance of two separate games and, therefore, Kildare county board could perhaps be persuaded to move. However, on the footballing side, Kildare would be better off in Newbridge and I'm sure Cian O'Neill has already been on to the county board to demand #newbridgeornowhere ! 

And atmosphere wise, it would be far better to not have the games in Croker.

RedHand88

I don't think Newbridge is fit to host this qualifier and would expect it to be moved to Croke Park.

8)

Rossfan

Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2019, 12:52:25 PM
I'd agree and the certainty of Croke Park dampening genuine championship atmosphere.

2)  Venues: Home Venues shall be used in Rounds 1, 2 and 3 of the All-Ireland Qualifier Series,
Theres a line added this year about grounds meeting the requirements of the CCCC.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LilySavage

McGeeney's last game in charge was at pretty much same stage in Newbridge 6/7 years ago and easily catered for the crowd although it probably was all ticket.. Stevie O'Neill was inside the white line that day and caused all sorts of problems.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Hound on June 24, 2019, 12:57:30 PM
Is Croke Park even free I wonder? If it was, I'd say Mayo County Board and James Horan would agree to a Croke Park double bill in a heartbeat.

The Croke Park attendance would probably be a fair bit more than the combined attendance of two separate games and, therefore, Kildare county board could perhaps be persuaded to move. However, on the footballing side, Kildare would be better off in Newbridge and I'm sure Cian O'Neill has already been on to the county board to demand #newbridgeornowhere ! 

And atmosphere wise, it would be far better to not have the games in Croker.

Absolutely, get the feeling Croke Park will have their revenge for last year though.

under the bar

Fergal Logan has questioned the hygiene rating of the burger vans on his Twitter page.  Legal challenge to it being  played in Newbridge to follow.

BennyCake

None of them blue cubes in the men's pissers. Croke Park it is!

tyroneman

Kildare v Tyrone @5pm Sky
Mayo v Armagh @7pm Sky

at present......

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2019, 01:06:21 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 24, 2019, 12:52:25 PM

Theres a line added this year about grounds meeting the requirements of the CCCC.
I observe that there are rules clearly written in the GAA Official Guide but somewhere else deep in small print there's some committee who has the power to over rule the rule. That's why it is called a guidebook and not a  rule book or  law book.

This is what you are referring to,
"Home Venues for all Senior Inter County Championship games shall be subject to approval by the Central Competitions Control Committee and shall meet the criteria set down by the National Facilities/Health and Safety Committee. "