Quinn's Pub closing down

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 19, 2012, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/last-orders-quinns-pub-drumcondra-to-close-for-good-0030653-1

QuoteWe've just found out that Quinns in Drumcondra - you may have staggered out of it before - is officially closing its doors for the foreseeable future.

It may come as a shock to some of you, especially if Quinns was your local, but the pub that has been serving pints to its loyal customers for the past 25 years is to close its doors for good.

The pub has been through some seriously tough times thanks to the recession and as more and more punters opt to drink at home instead of spending the extra few quid for a pint in the pub.

Bankers from the IBRC, formally Anglo Bank, tried to raid Quinns two weeks ago in order to seize the property as they claim the landlord, Eoin Quinlan, owes €250,000 in rent arrears. Speaking to the Evening Herald last Monday Mr Quinlan said, "I can make the pub work at €15,000 rent but not €30,000 -- no publican is that good."

Sadly, the debts have finally caught up with Mr Quinlan and Quinns in Drumcondra. Here's what the pub has to say on their Facebook page: "To all our customers - Just a very big thanks for all your custom, craic and banter over the last 25 years, we had a savage time there.

"We won the battle but lost the war! But with heads held high we say goodbye. - Quinns may reopen at some stage by the banks, so think long and hard where you spend your hard earned money.

"The banks and government made a mess of this country the first time round and are being allowed to do it again!! - Slan agus adh mor oraibh!"

That's a shame - was always great craic during the football season.

Where are people supposed to get their All-Ireland tickets now?

laoislad

Always preferred McGrath's meself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Lecale2

The world is changing. You can't make a living in a pub anymore.

Maurice Moss

Pity, was always a great place to meet old friends that I havent seen in a while! Mind getting a few last minute tickets there also!

Mourne Rover

It's hard to believe that Quinn's could be gone, as for many years - back to the time when it was called McGovern's - it was always a haunt of Down supporters on big match days. The problem is probably its sheer size, as it must require considerable staffing levels as well as plenty of customers. There are also - or used to be - several other large pubs along the same stretch of road, including from memory the Red Parrot, the Big Tree, McGrath's and the Cat and Cage, all of which hosted some decent sessions back in the days when Down used to produce reasonable full backs.

Dougal Maguire

I was always a Big Tree man myself. Had great craic with the Dubs there after we beat them in the 2002 AI Semi Final. Those heady days, I remember them well
Careful now

laoislad

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 19, 2012, 11:19:58 PM
I was always a Big Tree man myself. Had great craic with the Dubs there after we beat them in the 2002 AI Semi Final. Those heady days, I remember them well

The Dubs do love their crack craic.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

stephenite

It'll be open again under new management surely?

T Fearon

Like Bewleys,this iconic Dublin establishment must be preserved at all costs ( to the taxpayer).

rrhf

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 19, 2012, 10:58:31 PM
It's hard to believe that Quinn's could be gone, as for many years - back to the time when it was called McGovern's - it was always a haunt of Down supporters on big match days. The problem is probably its sheer size, as it must require considerable staffing levels as well as plenty of customers. There are also - or used to be - several other large pubs along the same stretch of road, including from memory the Red Parrot, the Big Tree, McGrath's and the Cat and Cage, all of which hosted some decent sessions back in the days when Down used to produce reasonable full backs.
You wouldn't want to be dependent on downs big days for your income

Billys Boots

It'll always be McGovern's to me - the advent of Quinn's was first step on the path to yesterday's announcement. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Franko

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 19, 2012, 10:07:33 PM
The world is changing. You can't make a living in a pub anymore.

I distinctly remember having a heated debate on here a couple of years back where I basically said the same thing but was roundly put down.  If a place that gets the guaranteed takings of Quinn's 5/6 times a year cant make it work - what hope for the rest?

OverThePostsAWide

Have the IBRC seized it by mistake?

Bingo

Spend many a night in Quinns back in the student days, spent many a day in it too before games as well, even worked in it for a short stint during the college days until the boss said I had to work over Easter and no way was I missing an Easter Sunday at home. He got his revenge when he barred me for been too drunk a while after.

Highlights
- Samatha Mumba working as a lounge girl
- It would be jammed on a Saturday and very noisy except for the corner that deaf and dumb community would meet in, watching them having the craic through sign was great to see
- Debating weather to actually down to Croke Park for the International rules game match where it lashed rain for the whole day, looking down and finding a mucky looking 50 on the floor and decision was made.

seafoid

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 20, 2012, 09:24:18 AM
Have the IBRC seized it by mistake?
The IBRC are targeting any Quinn business anywhere regardless of who owns it.
It is a fulfilment of Scripture and a sign of the end days.

Or the Enda days.