Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpower

Would it not have made sense to use the full 11 week window to complete the games, give players a chance to build up match fitness before being thrown straight into Championship action.

Shamrocks v Ruairi Ogs in Championship will be each teams first game of the season!

Also I couldn't disagree more about the approach taken on Juvenile activity, they should be an absolutely priority and an absent year could have serious implications for both the children and the sustainability of many clubs!
What happens next????

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 20, 2020, 01:19:55 PM
Where are we dragging it too? Like I said in my post , there's no club championship this season after club finals are completed

I get the impression Croke Park want to say clubs have been the priority but then force most CB's to run off a championship of sorts in 6 weeks or so to allow them to get the Intercounty season underway October.

imtommygunn

The intercounty season should really be written off. I thought this was a chance for the GAA to make a statement here of what is the most important thing - the grass roots or the elite. Maybe that's what they have done :(

Na Glinntí Glasa

the county season is what makes the gaa money. if they lose it this year they will lose out on a fortune in gates, merchandise, advertising, tv revenue etc. the clubs dont bring them in any money so it isnt a priority to them.

hopefully the NI ex will allow us to follow the GAA's plan, if not then we wont be able to bring forward the match date a few weeks and ease the pressure on the dual clubs at the start of the year.

the camogie assc havent released anything yet to let clubs know whats going on atm which is even more frustrating for clubs as you cant plan whats going ahead in the next few weeks right.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 22, 2020, 10:21:47 AM
the county season is what makes the gaa money. if they lose it this year they will lose out on a fortune in gates, merchandise, advertising, tv revenue etc. the clubs dont bring them in any money so it isnt a priority to them.

hopefully the NI ex will allow us to follow the GAA's plan, if not then we wont be able to bring forward the match date a few weeks and ease the pressure on the dual clubs at the start of the year.

the camogie assc havent released anything yet to let clubs know whats going on atm which is even more frustrating for clubs as you cant plan whats going ahead in the next few weeks right.

All information coming from Croke Park relate to the LGFA and the Camogie Association, so same processes in place for them.

Don't know how games are going to be structured for them but our senior camogs are being allocated training slots using the same guidelines as our senior hurlers which has now been brought forward to the 24th...

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: johnnycool on June 22, 2020, 10:27:28 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on June 22, 2020, 10:21:47 AM

All information coming from Croke Park relate to the LGFA and the Camogie Association, so same processes in place for them.

Don't know how games are going to be structured for them but our senior camogs are being allocated training slots using the same guidelines as our senior hurlers which has now been brought forward to the 24th...

Sorry, i meant our own County set up. they haven't told us definite information of what exactly will be happening. we had to have all entries back in on Friday past but as per usual some clubs didn't have them in on time.

its been chatted about a league one way then championship which will be knock out. a group championship with league after would of been better but apparently the Camogie assoc wont rule out the ulster or all ireland club championship
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: maxpower on June 20, 2020, 04:12:30 PM
Would it not have made sense to use the full 11 week window to complete the games, give players a chance to build up match fitness before being thrown straight into Championship action.

Shamrocks v Ruairi Ogs in Championship will be each teams first game of the season!

Also I couldn't disagree more about the approach taken on Juvenile activity, they should be an absolutely priority and an absent year could have serious implications for both the children and the sustainability of many clubs!

I think they have got a lot of things wrong in the plan thus far, but for me this wouldnt be one of them.

Adult or young adults you can control slightly better and they get the ideas and principals of why they are asked to do certain things. Anything below that they don't and if the schools are unable to have had them back for the last few months and clearly not keen to have them fully back in September so far, how could we ask volunteer coaches to do this? Madness

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2020, 08:13:49 AM

I think they have got a lot of things wrong in the plan thus far, but for me this wouldnt be one of them.

Adult or young adults you can control slightly better and they get the ideas and principals of why they are asked to do certain things. Anything below that they don't and if the schools are unable to have had them back for the last few months and clearly not keen to have them fully back in September so far, how could we ask volunteer coaches to do this? Madness

A lot of lad s will be jumping from u16 to senior in Jan if new rules come in

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 23, 2020, 08:21:32 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 23, 2020, 08:13:49 AM

A lot of lad s will be jumping from u16 to senior in Jan if new rules come in

those rules are already in place in Down and the CB is putting fixtures in place for U17, U15 and U13 for the end of July onwards so they'll get something.

The younger ones. P7 down are a different matter and whilst may be allowed to train I don't think we'll see blitzes with several different teams in attendance this year.

maxpower

Don't understand the argument 'you can control adults easier'

Contact is contact, it's either permitted or it's not!  I think it's entirely reasonable to assess That Children  mature enough to sit a Transfer Test are mature enough to be coached appropriately in small sided sessions under the supervision of a coach and additional Covid Supervisor!

The reality is our children have suffered the most in lockdown, it has had a serious impact on physical and mental health as well as their ability to integrate socially.  This is not my opinion but the view of the 160 GP's who have written to the education minister calling for urgent action.

Schools are now closed until at least September, and so a lockdown that began with the St Patrick's day bank holiday will extend to at least 5.5 months, possibly longer!

There is no safe option here, cancelling all activities will ensure no community transmission of Covid-19 through our grounds, but it will exacerbate the growing social isolation issues with our youth.  The children will suffer.

The club will suffer also, children with a proclivity for sport will find alternate options, numbers cycling, golfing & running will increase.  Those are the lucky children other will simply drift away from organised sport.

The risks are on both sides, the official guidance from Croke Park states Child to Child or child to adult transmission remains incredibly low, reduced further by being outside and with each club taking the adequate precautions.

If they don't play a game or a blitz, that's fine, but the Association should be looking at solutions to make play available and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater!
What happens next????

NAG1

Quote from: maxpower on June 23, 2020, 02:42:29 PM
Don't understand the argument 'you can control adults easier'

Contact is contact, it's either permitted or it's not!  I think it's entirely reasonable to assess That Children  mature enough to sit a Transfer Test are mature enough to be coached appropriately in small sided sessions under the supervision of a coach and additional Covid Supervisor!

The reality is our children have suffered the most in lockdown, it has had a serious impact on physical and mental health as well as their ability to integrate socially.  This is not my opinion but the view of the 160 GP's who have written to the education minister calling for urgent action.

Schools are now closed until at least September, and so a lockdown that began with the St Patrick's day bank holiday will extend to at least 5.5 months, possibly longer!

There is no safe option here, cancelling all activities will ensure no community transmission of Covid-19 through our grounds, but it will exacerbate the growing social isolation issues with our youth.  The children will suffer.

The club will suffer also, children with a proclivity for sport will find alternate options, numbers cycling, golfing & running will increase.  Those are the lucky children other will simply drift away from organised sport.

The risks are on both sides, the official guidance from Croke Park states Child to Child or child to adult transmission remains incredibly low, reduced further by being outside and with each club taking the adequate precautions.

If they don't play a game or a blitz, that's fine, but the Association should be looking at solutions to make play available and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater!

So when the schools and teachers decide that it is safe to go back and have all the scientific backing to do so, then i think the Volunteer coahces can also start back. I don't think you can ask someone to take on such a role while the schools have deemed it not safe.

Clubs will be able to work ways for these kids once these issues have been worked out, but I dont think it is a priority at the moment.

I hope I am wrong and that we see a serious down turn in this virus but it doesnt look that is coming any time soon in the global sense.

maxpower

Surely then by that logic - no teams should be going back!

I would actually accept that argument over the prioritisation of adult competition give adult to adult transmission has a far higher occurrence rate
What happens next????

NAG1

Quote from: maxpower on June 23, 2020, 04:58:00 PM
Surely then by that logic - no teams should be going back!

I would actually accept that argument over the prioritisation of adult competition give adult to adult transmission has a far higher occurrence rate

Point being adults can make that call for themselves and decide apon their own circumstances. Kids start back and the pressure comes on parents to let their child go because his wee best friend goes. No one knows the circumstances of each situation, so the not seeing family and grand parents in partuicular for 3/4 months would be back to square one for the sake of getting them out hurling.

Clubs need to be ready to go when they get that call that it is safe to do so and the barometer for safety for these age groups is the fact that they are back to school with some regularity.

Yes it is difficult and we would prefer not to be here and we know there are issues around not having them at the club. But there are ways and means of engaging with them to keep them interested and then when the go ahead comes, clubs should be in a place to offer something that will attract the kids back.

maxpower

So you think Children will be pressurised into returning but seniors competing for the volunteer cup won't!

Should parents not have the same right of choice as the seniors?

Again the science shows adults to adult transmission at a much higher rate than any form of transmission involving Children! If we return to lockdown it is much more likely to be the result of international travel and community transmission within the adult population

Yet the solution is to deny children the opportunity for outside exercise and play!

What happens next????

NAG1

Quote from: maxpower on June 24, 2020, 03:22:51 PM
So you think Children will be pressurised into returning but seniors competing for the volunteer cup won't!

Should parents not have the same right of choice as the seniors?

Again the science shows adults to adult transmission at a much higher rate than any form of transmission involving Children! If we return to lockdown it is much more likely to be the result of international travel and community transmission within the adult population

Yet the solution is to deny children the opportunity for outside exercise and play!

Get them out, exercise them, play games with them within your family. Hurling / Football is not the be all and end all.

Seniors are wise enough to make their own call, will any of the married seniors (not that there are too many these days) with pregnant wives young children at home be keen to go back?

It is a simple arguement, professionals as in scientists here have advised that schools are not able to fully function. Therefore our professional teachers aren't teaching them, but yet and all you think its ok to ask volunteers to take them out and let them play?

I can see your argument on mental health and physical fitness but this is outweighed here by this virus. When it is safe for the kids to be back at school then by all means lets get our games up and running but that should be the marker for clubs working with kids this age.