Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Price has rarely been the problem. To even suggest they are in general high is madness.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2018, 06:32:52 PM
Price has rarely been the problem. To even suggest they are in general high is madness.
loads of people i have spoke with (and these are hardcore gaa people) are now put off from attending county matches by the price of tickets. families are simply being priced out. ulster gaa have on the day prices of £30 for the stand and £17 for the terrace and £5 for kids, (buying tickets in the build up are £2 cheaper) those prices are not going to fill many grounds in ulster.
for a family of 2 adults with 2 kids to attend a match your not going to have much change out of £100, people are now deciding to spend their money elsewhere.
nil satis nisi optimum

armaghniac

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 04, 2018, 06:47:19 PM
loads of people i have spoke with (and these are hardcore gaa people) are now put off from attending county matches by the price of tickets. families are simply being priced out. ulster gaa have on the day prices of £30 for the stand and £17 for the terrace and £5 for kids, (buying tickets in the build up are £2 cheaper) those prices are not going to fill many grounds in ulster.
for a family of 2 adults with 2 kids to attend a match your not going to have much change out of £100, people are now deciding to spend their money elsewhere.

Are prices relative to other things any more than they always were? Are they more than the Munster hurling championship?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SHEEDY

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2018, 06:57:21 PM

Are prices relative to other things any more than they always were? Are they more than the Munster hurling championship?

think i read somewhere that ulster football matches are on average £8 dearer than munster hurling, open to correction on that though. the attendances at provincial matches in ulster have been on downward spiral for a few years now, ticket prices and quality of football have to be the main reasons.
nil satis nisi optimum

Rossfan

Limerick v Waterford next Sunday
Stand  €20 in advance/€25 on the day
Terrace €15/€20.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebar

Madness? I can only assume this was mean't as a joke?

Rossfan

Nah it's just Syf and his parallel Universe. :D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Anyone who is 'hardcore' and is complaining about what are remarkably low ticket prices are spoilt, or are without context of what the wider sporting and event market is like, to be honest. What other popular field sport has cheaper prices on its premier competition? Do you know how much a concert ticket is? A convention? Ticket prices for events in general far exceed the average price of a GAA match. You'll never do anything or go to anything if the price of football tickets really is the issue.

And yeah, when you want to bring four or five people to an event it tends to increase the price significantly - this is not unique to the GAA. They've done nearly everything they can on pricing, it's the promotion and the product on the field that is leading to the problem with attendances.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 04, 2018, 11:34:47 AM
Excellence or financial doping. People are too dumb to see the co-relation. The GAA have destroyed the Leinster Championship, people have voted with their feet.
Or too bitter to see the excellence. The brilliance. The determination. The never-say-die attitude.

Did financial doping turn Dean Rock from a mediocre free taker into one of the best and most reliable?

Dublin have turned Leinster into a procession by being so damned good.
Kildare and Meath have helped by being so incompetent.

Remember, Dublin were dominating Leinster long before we were winning All Irelands. It used to be said Leinster was a huge disadvantage to us, because having no competition meant the first time we came up against a decent team, we inevitably lost. Even though it was in Croke Park.   

But now we're paying Jonny Cooper and Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny so much to be so brilliant, we can beat teams outside Leinster now also. Did you ever see Philly McMahon, our corner back, kicking points from 40 yards? That's the money you know! 

I listened to Kildare radio in the car for the Carlow match, and the commentators were raging with the stupid fouls, stupid decisions and lack of heart shown by the kildare lads. If only you had money to fix those things. (They were annoyed with the Carlow coach constantly running onto the pitch too, but I don't think money would help that).

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 04, 2018, 08:39:23 PM
Excellence or financial doping. People are too dumb to see the co-relation. The GAA have destroyed the Leinster Championship, people have voted with their feet.
Or too bitter to see the excellence. The brilliance. The determination. The never-say-die attitude.

Did financial doping turn Dean Rock from a mediocre free taker into one of the best and most reliable?

Remember, Dublin were dominating Leinster long before we were winning All Irelands. It used to be said Leinster was a huge disadvantage to us, because having no competition meant the first time we came up against a decent team, we inevitably lost. Even though it was in Croke Park.   

But now we're paying Jonny Cooper and Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny so much to be so brilliant, we can beat teams outside Leinster now also. Did you ever see Philly McMahon, our corner back, kicking points from 40 yards? That's the money you know! 

I listened to Kildare radio in the car for the Carlow match, and the commentators were raging with the stupid fouls, stupid decisions and lack of heart shown by the kildare lads. If only you had money to fix those things. (They were annoyed with the Carlow coach constantly running onto the pitch too, but I don't think money would help that).

Ha! You just proved the point. Technical analysis doesn't come cheap. Your obsession with Kildare is not healthy. You defer to them every time, they are irrelevant as are Meath. Deflection, deflection.

Btw Dublin weren't dominating Leinster in the early 00s. I wonder when did the GAA started financial doping them? Would Offaly hurling be in such disrepair if they had a fraction a Dublin's GAA funding? Cause and affect.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

That first line is some serious cringe.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 04, 2018, 08:55:30 PM

That first line is some serious cringe.

Ah, to be fair the cringe goes further than the first line.

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 04, 2018, 08:48:49 PM

Ha! You just proved the point. Technical analysis doesn't come cheap. Your obsession with Kildare is not healthy. You defer to them every time, they are irrelevant as are Meath. Deflection, deflection.

Btw Dublin weren't dominating Leinster in the early 00s. I wonder when did the GAA started financial doping them? Would Offaly hurling be in such disrepair if they had a fraction a Dublin's GAA funding? Cause and affect.
My obsession with Kildare!! That's good, giving all the whinging you do against the Dubs!

We trounced Kildare every year in the 70s and 80s. Then Kildare always had some top class players, but they were generally disorganised and easily rattled. Soft underbelly. Then you got a good manager, proper organisation, the players got belief to go along with their ability. I remember we played you off the park one day to lead by 6 points at HT, and you didnt even play brilliantly in the second half, but you weren't going to be beaten. You just had the upper hand. Slightly better players, much better attitude.

Now we beat Kildare easy again, for the exact same reason we did in the 70s and 80s. We have better players. We have much better work rate. You've a soft under belly. But you've some lovely underage teams last few years and more coming, so you should contend again - if you can get a manager in the same league as Jim Gavin.

Dublin have passed Offaly out at hurling, mainly I would suggest because of numbers and organisation. I wonder what the Dubs v Offaly record is like at minor and U21 the last 10 years? I haven't looked it up, but I bet it's hugely in Dublin's favour. We've a load more young lads and we've a load more volunteer coaches in each club and in the development squads.

There is no doubt there is Offaly men teaching underage hurling to young lads in Kilmacud, Cuala and Ballyboden, among others, and they're not getting paid a cent! Demographics. We need Offaly people to stay in Offaly. So we need jobs everywhere, not just in Dublin.

(Although it is interesting that in hurling the Dubs had passed out Wexford, but the arrivals of Ger Cunningham and Davy Fitz doubly handedly swung the pendulum back to Wexford. But Gilroy seems to have recovered some of that ground, although not enough for this year.)

Kildare man Charlie McCreevy had the right plan to move most of the civil servants out of Dublin, which would have been a great first step. It was by no means a perfect plan, but it was miles better than doing nothing.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2018, 10:03:09 PM

Ah to be fair, two own goals in an All Ireland final, you know cringe when you see it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on June 04, 2018, 10:17:33 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 04, 2018, 10:03:09 PM

Ah to be fair, two own goals in an All Ireland final, you know cringe when you see it.

And now cringe goes into the second verse!