Donegal V Tyrone Ulster Final 17th July

Started by never kickt a ball, July 03, 2016, 11:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

That game was so shite I wouldnt even object to a hard border preventing access to Clones

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on July 18, 2016, 11:22:11 PM
That game was so shite I would even object to a hard border preventing access to Clones

You should have switched over to the golf to see how the other half of your double was getting on.
That was never a square ball!!

sensethetone

Have to say the match at times was hard watch but that atmosphere at the end was unreal, the noise around the place was as loud as i've ever heard in Clones.

T Fearon

You should have been there the day Armagh ended 17 years of hurt in 1999

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: T Fearon on July 18, 2016, 11:35:58 PM
You should have been there the day Armagh ended 17 years of hurt in 1999

Just think of the noise when you next win it in 2050.

Fuzzman

I watched the game again last night on BBC as had it recorded and despite having watched the Mattie black card incident several times I still can decide myself whether it should have been black or not.
Coldrick was quite close by when it happened and didn't even blow for a free when it happened. It seemed to be Gough the linesman (who did so well in our game v Cavan) who made the call and I'd say the blood wound on McHugh probably added to the cause. Whilst Mattie is not a dirty player, he does tend to like to use his body strength to hit hard and take a tackle even when he doesn't need to. For me I felt he saw McHugh coming straight at him and knowing he was bigger and more solid thought for a split second I'm not getting out of the way here and allowed McHugh's momentum to crash into him as he's a lot smaller than Mattie. Who knows for sure but that was my take on the incident. In slow motion Mattie's arm seems to come out a bit and I think that's what maybe caused the wound. To me I think it should have been yellow as it could have been dangerous play.

McShane's one was also strange as it definitely appeared to be for a hand trip on the defender. He should have got the ball into his possession earlier but maybe there was a small push but hard to say. He clearly touches the defenders foot/shin but it was minimal contact but the defender then (was it Eamon McGee) made the most of it.
Despite what the BBC commentator said, there didn't appear to be any conversation between McShane and the umpire whatsoever whoever you would imagine there was sledging between him and the Donegal players as usual.

Anyway, on another note. Whilst delighted we finally beat this Donegal team and the horrible style of football they make you play to try to match them, I can't help but think of players like Murphy, McBrearty and the McHughs among others. They have benefited in some ways from what their system gave them a few years back but these talented players must be fed up to the back teeth playing like this. Murphy in particular should be one of the top players every year in Ireland yet his career is being wasted in my eyes by the system they play. If he played for Dublin or Kerry or even Mayo he would be a superstar I think as kicking and fielding skills alone are amazing. However most games he plays in, he is suffocated from the start and rarely gets decent ball into an area of space or with teammates around him for support. I think Donegal find themselves now almost under pressure to play this style of game now rather than mixing it up a bit. I can understand some teams playing it against awesome forward lines like Dublin where they can get roasted but Donegal have good forwards themselves if they would play to their strengths sometimes and stop being so fearful.

How do you Donegal fans feel? Would you not rather take the chance and see how ye fair playing a more open expansive game?

God14

I was in the oduffy, near the wire to the right of the goal. Had perfect view of mcshane incident. In real time i thought it was a black card. It looked like a frustrated petulant attempted hand trip to stop the donegal player
there was no conversation between the lino and mcshane. When coldrick called for mcshane i knew it was a black card.

yellowcard

I said at the start of the year that Tyrone were the only team capable of beating Dublin and I am now more convinced than ever that this is the case. It wasn't a pretty victory over Donegal but they produced the goods when it mattered in the closing stages. Tyrone have so much pace in their side that I think they will suit Croke Park more than other sides and their bench is now rivalled only by the Dubs. They are now in the soft side of the draw and will avoid the Dubs and Kerry (3rd best team imo) therefore will only have to defeat one of these sides to win an AI title. The stars are aligning for them as the Dubs missing players from last year will eventually take its toll and Tyrone will defeat Dublin in the AI final. 

nrico2006

Has there been official word that McShane got the card for verbals or is everybody just going on what a commentator said?  When you see the incident again, there is a case for a penalty for McShane as he is pushed to the ground and as for the him using the hand, I would say he was more concerned about the opposition players foot coming down on his body hence why he pushed the trailing leg away.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Yellowcard, ignore mayo at ur peril. Diarmuid oconnor is looking a class act alongside his brother Cillian. In Evan regan they have another classy forward. If u recall with the management change happening so late they were in dissaray with their preparations and behind schedule.
back door route has given them gametime and momentum. For once they have numerous scoring options and they have been proven defensively sound in recent years.
mayo will give tyrone their fill of it on august 6th.

yellowcard

Quote from: God14 on July 19, 2016, 12:10:54 PM
Yellowcard, ignore mayo at ur peril. Diarmuid oconnor is looking a class act alongside his brother Cillian. In Evan regan they have another classy forward. If u recall with the management change happening so late they were in dissaray with their preparations and behind schedule.
back door route has given them gametime and momentum. For once they have numerous scoring options and they have been proven defensively sound in recent years.
mayo will give tyrone their fill of it on august 6th.

Mayo are a side going in a different direction than Tyrone. They are on the wane whilst Tyrone are improving all the time and I really don't see Mayo doing anything of note. They will beat Westmeath but will come a cropper in the AI quarter final no matter who the opponent. You can't just turn on form like a tap and Mayo have been consistently mediocre all season. I would see Galway as a bigger threat for Tyrone on that side of the draw though I think Tyrone would still have too much for them in a potential semi final. With McCarthy now out for the season as well, I'm beginning to think that Kerry and Dublin will be a lot closer than I originally thought as well.

AZOffaly

Quote from: God14 on July 19, 2016, 11:57:22 AM
I was in the oduffy, near the wire to the right of the goal. Had perfect view of mcshane incident. In real time i thought it was a black card. It looked like a frustrated petulant attempted hand trip to stop the donegal player
there was no conversation between the lino and mcshane. When coldrick called for mcshane i knew it was a black card.

Because you know the rules!!!

God14

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 12:40:07 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 19, 2016, 11:57:22 AM

Because you know the rules!!!

Deliberate trip is a black card no?

AZOffaly

Yes, I'm not being smart. You know that a deliberate trip is a black card. A lot of people don't know what is/isn't a black card offence.

vallankumous

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 19, 2016, 01:02:21 PM
Yes, I'm not being smart. You know that a deliberate trip is a black card. A lot of people don't know what is/isn't a black card offence.

I thought it was for cynical play. There was nothing cynical about it in that position at that time. If he did attempt to trip him then it was just a stupid foul.