The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: trileacman on February 07, 2018, 10:09:12 PM

What's the board view of laphrioag? Peaty as f**k but fun all the same.
Love the peaty stuff. Laphroaig is good, but I find Ardbeg even peatier, so that's my fav.

Hardy

If peat was a flavour there never would have been a famine.

AZOffaly

Tullamore Dew. 

'Last week the experts they all said the same,
The Kingdom would surely win Sunday's big game.
Kerry were favourites four to one on,
But the Offaly heroes they proved them all wrong.

The Kerry supporters came up on the train.
They came for big sam in the sunshine or rain.
They came for big sam but 'twas little they knew
Next we'd t'would be brimming with Tullamore Dew'.

ONeill

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2018, 04:26:06 PM

Love the peaty stuff. Laphroaig is good, but I find Ardbeg even peatier, so that's my fav.

Both nice. Working my way through anCnoc - quare taste.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Had two weekends in a row of a Rabby Burns night! I'd that many I forgot what I drank!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CiKe

Quote from: ONeill on February 08, 2018, 08:00:39 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2018, 04:26:06 PM

Both nice. Working my way through anCnoc - quare taste.

Laphroaig is good. Bought an Ardbeg Uigeadal or something similar years ago. Would blow the head off you. Not gone back to it.

Lagavullin 16. Now that is a good whiskey.

Tyrdub

Quote from: stiffler on February 07, 2018, 09:31:25 PM
What's the best whiskey around the £30-£40 mark ?

i was given a bottle of Jameson Caskmate at Christmas, really nice whiskey and not that expensive

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2018, 08:53:26 PM
Had two weekends in a row of a Rabby Burns night! I'd that many I forgot what I drank!

You've a tiny frame though. Do smaller people get drunk quickly?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on February 10, 2018, 07:22:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 08, 2018, 08:53:26 PM

You've a tiny frame though. Do smaller people get drunk quickly?

::)

I know plenty fat feckers who are well pissed before me so I'm not sure on that one
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

This is a thread I would have ignored as I thought whiskey wasn't for me.  Over the last few months I have started trying to learn a bit about the different types and begun trying to see if I could grow to like at least some of them.  I really like the idea of sipping on a neat glass of whiskey of a winter's evening.  I don't feel I am quite there yet.  I started with the Jamesons with a little ginger, and then progressed to adding a little water instead.  I like Guinness so have the Jameson's stout edition a rattle.  Prefer the original.

Currently working through a bottle of Powers, which seems to be similar to Jamesons in ways.  Would I find that to be the case too with Paddys, Tullamore dew etc?

I see a lot of talk about Green spot and redbreast.  I might try on one of these as a treat over Christmas but I have a feeling they may be wasted on me.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

trileacman

Quote from: lurganblue on November 30, 2020, 01:12:15 PM
This is a thread I would have ignored as I thought whiskey wasn't for me.  Over the last few months I have started trying to learn a bit about the different types and begun trying to see if I could grow to like at least some of them.  I really like the idea of sipping on a neat glass of whiskey of a winter's evening.  I don't feel I am quite there yet.  I started with the Jamesons with a little ginger, and then progressed to adding a little water instead.  I like Guinness so have the Jameson's stout edition a rattle.  Prefer the original.

Currently working through a bottle of Powers, which seems to be similar to Jamesons in ways.  Would I find that to be the case too with Paddys, Tullamore dew etc?

I see a lot of talk about Green spot and redbreast.  I might try on one of these as a treat over Christmas but I have a feeling they may be wasted on me.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose.

Your wasting your time with that landfill whiskey. Go out and get a few bottles of good scotch.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggy90

Bushmills - Black or Original - is the one for me.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

maddog

Hound

Quote from: lurganblue on November 30, 2020, 01:12:15 PM

I like both of those. I tried both the dearer versions too (yellow spot and RB15) but to be honest I preferred Green and RB12.

A few years ago I got a bottle of Connemara, which is an unusual enough Irish as it has a peated taste. I was very unsure of it initially, but by the end of the bottle I was really enjoying it and then later discovered Scotch from Islay which is much stronger peated. Real medicinal! I adore the stuff now and it's pretty much the only type of whisky I drink  - especially on a winter evening! 

Chief

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 30, 2020, 01:46:15 PM
Bushmills - Black or Original - is the one for me.

Redbreast Lustau edition is a fair upgrade on Black Bush - although a good deal more expensive also.

As a standard bottle Black Bush is hard to look past