Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Fair enough effort at preseason football surely? Better than 3 challenge games?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: illdecide on January 19, 2011, 09:50:38 AM
I see the Co Board are running (if they get the numbers) a senior football shield to run before the season starts (March - April). Apparently there will be groups of 4 which guarantee's 3 games each and what i can read into is the top 2 teams then will play for bragging rights ::)

What do you make of this?

Yup to be run off ike the McKenna cup... replaces them silly pre season cups. Great idea, definately space for a league cup type competition, & will prove to be fantastic pre (league) season!

Talk of an U20 league too if i'm not mistaken, again... a good decision, fills an obvious gap before senior!

Also a change in the B / Reserve competition, where a 'named' list is no longer required. You simply cannot play for the reserves the week after starting for the seniors.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on January 19, 2011, 09:50:38 AM
I see the Co Board are running (if they get the numbers) a senior football shield to run before the season starts (March - April). Apparently there will be groups of 4 which guarantee's 3 games each and what i can read into is the top 2 teams then will play for bragging rights ::)

What do you make of this?

They did a similar thing when I was playing, say 15 years ago.  It was grand and all that but they are glorified challenge matches.  Too be honest you get sick of playing the same teams all the time and it is a good thing to be able to go to different clubs for different challenges.

illdecide

Well i can see what they're trying to do and some teams may well be up for it but i suspect teams will not want to show their hand to teams they're gonna meet 2 maybe 3 more times that season. Personally i'm not sure what to make of it!!! i can see the positives from it and as BC says i can see some negatives too.

The reserve set up is a good step but to me it's set up to help the bigger clubs and the smaller clubs may well suffer

Is it true too that U21 championship is being played August to September
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Goats Do Shave

Yeah... it's going to be an end of season run off.

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

crossfire

Cross beat Cullyhanna 2-8 to 0-8 in under 21 final in Killeavy.
Cullyhanna didn't score from play.

centrefield

was the match any good??cross at full strength..ie clarke playing etc meant to get down to it however the occasion completly slipped my mind!

crossfire

Quote from: centrefield on January 23, 2011, 03:40:32 PM
was the match any good??cross at full strength..ie clarke playing etc meant to get down to it however the occasion completly slipped my mind!

It was quite a good competive game with Cross only pulling away in the last 10 to 15 minutes.
Cross fielded a very strong team with 6 of them, including Jamie, having played senior championship football this season.
Another 6 are in the senior panel.
There was a vey big crowd at it, probably 3 to 4 hundred.

bigfrank

any reports on the armagh v antrim game 2day??? poor start to the great new set up at the athletic grounds.....

CountyMan

Grugan had a very good game once again in the HF line seems to be cementing a name for himself there, the MOTM for me was Dyas, had a fantastic game probaly one of the best he's had in an armagh jersey. The HB line was probably the best functioning unit of the team, Deckie McKenna played a solid game, Charlie Vernon played in CH and was solid enough too with a fantastic point in the first half. Paul duffy was playing in Corner Back and was bombing forward alot that helped armagh but he forgot about his defensive duties for most of the game and was struggling to stay with his man alot. MF had its moments Lavery mainly. A lot of the forwards were very quiet with Murtagh having a stinker, mcparland couldnt really get into the game and niether could  O' Rourke.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: CountyMan on January 23, 2011, 08:59:40 PM
Grugan had a very good game once again in the HF line seems to be cementing a name for himself there, the MOTM for me was Dyas, had a fantastic game probaly one of the best he's had in an armagh jersey. The HB line was probably the best functioning unit of the team, Deckie McKenna played a solid game, Charlie Vernon played in CH and was solid enough too with a fantastic point in the first half. Paul duffy was playing in Corner Back and was bombing forward alot that helped armagh but he forgot about his defensive duties for most of the game and was struggling to stay with his man alot. MF had its moments Lavery mainly. A lot of the forwards were very quiet with Murtagh having a stinker, mcparland couldnt really get into the game and niether could  O' Rourke.

thought vernon was very loose marking and everything good antrim did went through niblock.  Though a big fan of grugan, thought he was quiet enough in 2nd half?

CountyMan

Quote from: charlie stubbs on January 23, 2011, 09:21:39 PM
thought vernon was very loose marking and everything good antrim did went through niblock.  Though a big fan of grugan, thought he was quiet enough in 2nd half?

Well that would be true at times he did fall lose from his man but so did paul duffy. Grugan was abit quiter in the second half but the scores he hit made up for it.

The Kid

Agree with most written on here about the game today, thought dyas and grugan were the two standout performers with duffy and mc kenna showing well at times also. Antrim seemed to get their scores alot easier than we did but then again they had a near full strength team on display. Murtagh had a bit of a nightmare and michéal o'rourke wasnt much better, and as for feeney at the end when armagh were a goal down with a min left and he tries to score a point himself instead of putting the ball in, what was going through his head? if I'm correct we still have a chance of making the semi's if we rack up a decent score against st marys on wed night, hopefully that would give a few regulars , ie mc donnell and mc keever a bit more game time before the league

usa07

I hear that clown murtagh was way out of his depth today!!