Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: fred the red on July 22, 2009, 03:24:36 PM
Quote from: full back on July 22, 2009, 03:16:37 PM
We are going around in circles here

You said "a NA man would almost be the same as a neutral...plus he will have the best interests of the county at heart."

I said that statement is nonsense

Who cares where he is from?

If you are the county manager, naturally you will have the best interests at heart

Every county manager wants to be successful, every supporter should want the same and not bringing up what part of the county you should be from

I just feel that a local man would have more passion for the job than an 'outsider'.

If you disagree with this then fair enough, and I would agree that if there is no one within the county who is able to do the job then an outsider may be a viable option.

An outsider has worked for Antrim & Wicklow, but we should have enough talent within our own county to take on the best in Ireland.

But that's flawed though isn;t it?

Passion isn't everything and setting up silly north.south armagh divides won't helpeither.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Orior on July 22, 2009, 03:52:48 PM
Quote from: robertemmet on July 22, 2009, 03:44:55 PM
Would John rafferty not be in the running for the Armagh senior job.

He would be keen as mustard. Anyone care to guess what criteria candidates need to meet? For example:

- Must have a realistic plan that will achieve a second AI (with suitable checkpoints along the way)
- Must have excellent man-management skills
- Must demonstrate ability to get the best of average and great players
- Must be able to work with and get the best out of coaching and training staff
- Must not listen to crap on GAA Board

All valid till you got to the last one.  Did you not know that the only way to win an AI is to learn from all the experts on Discussion boards who have got millions of medals in their back pockets?  This in my view should be top of you list ;D

Orior

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 22, 2009, 04:08:33 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 22, 2009, 03:52:48 PM
Quote from: robertemmet on July 22, 2009, 03:44:55 PM
Would John rafferty not be in the running for the Armagh senior job.

He would be keen as mustard. Anyone care to guess what criteria candidates need to meet? For example:

- Must have a realistic plan that will achieve a second AI (with suitable checkpoints along the way)
- Must have excellent man-management skills
- Must demonstrate ability to get the best of average and great players
- Must be able to work with and get the best out of coaching and training staff
- Must not listen to crap on GAA Board

All valid till you got to the last one.  Did you not know that the only way to win an AI is to learn from all the experts on Discussion boards who have got millions of medals in their back pockets?  This in my view should be top of you list ;D

The only thing I've learned from GaaBoard is... is... is... ONeill and Muppet are two funny blokes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

winsamsoon

The new manager must also be able to deal with the characters in the Armagh team that are throwing toys out of the pram when they don't get their own way. For the new year coming in the players also need to grow up and accept the manager is there to do a job and he must be left to it.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

DuffleKing

You mean the new manager must have the capacity to manage win?

winsamsoon

well in as many words duffle :o  But a few players must catch themselves on and take a reality check
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

charlie stubbs

Armagh football is dominated by South Armagh teams. To avoid conflicts of interest/perceived favourtism it makes sense that the manager does not come from this area.

If however, the stand out candidate is from this area then he surely should be made manager.
[/quote]

a north armagh man could then be perceived as being biased if for example ryan henderson where to start.  Dont know any credable candidates from n armagh anyway?  it a vicious circle, people are going to complain no matter what team/players/panel is selected.  i ask that the best man appointed regardless of postcode

charlie stubbs

However if there where 2 managers equal in skill and experience, i think the NA manager should get the nod for the reasons i have highlighted previously.
[/quote]

could end up in court over the head of that!discrimination!

DuffleKing

Quote from: winsamsoon on July 22, 2009, 06:38:39 PM
well in as many words duffle :o  But a few players must catch themselves on and take a reality check

Well obviously i don't know what you're talking about specifically but whatever about the characters or temprements in any dressingroom, if a manager can't harness them then he is in the wrong job.

thewanderer

Will be interesting to read the sabotage theory to be released by pmcd as stated in the paper. Hope its not a smoke screen for the poor performances of the management team. ps John Rafferty auctioned himself to various clubs last year and after committing to one rejected it for a higher bidder, don't think he will move from his current position.

flog the lot

i heard Aiden O'Rourke and enda mcnulty were looking to take the job, but also heard joe kernan could be comming back... the ammount of rumours about is unreal...

John Rafferty would have to be one of the favourites as he is one of only a few in the county that have any proven managerial experience, other than that you would probably be looking at someone from outside the county unless geezer would want the post but couldn't see that happening until there a clearout at county board level!...
would rather see geezer take charge in a few years anyhow once there is a better team in place...

The GAA

I suppose everyone has a whisper of their own. The one i heard was that Joe was told straight off he would not be getting it and that McAlinden is a cert. McAlinden will be trying to take Grimley with him

illdecide

Quote from: The GAA on July 23, 2009, 10:59:14 AM

I suppose everyone has a whisper of their own. The one i heard was that Joe was told straight off he would not be getting it and that McAlinden is a cert. McAlinden will be trying to take Grimley with him

I know Brian McAlinden very well and i know the type of man he is and i doubt very much that him & Grimley would work together, they are both very similar and both would like to call the shots and i reckon a clash of personalities would occur. Brian like it done his way and wouldn't like Grim suggesting something different. I could be wrong but i doubt that partnership will take off (it actually would be a good one if they could work together)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orangeman

Quote from: flog the lot on July 23, 2009, 09:45:43 AM
i heard Aiden O'Rourke and enda mcnulty were looking to take the job, but also heard joe kernan could be comming back... the ammount of rumours about is unreal...

John Rafferty would have to be one of the favourites as he is one of only a few in the county that have any proven managerial experience, other than that you would probably be looking at someone from outside the county unless geezer would want the post but couldn't see that happening until there a clearout at county board level!...
would rather see geezer take charge in a few years anyhow once there is a better team in place...

Joe Kernan has ruled himself out of a return to the manager's job in Armagh.

Armagh are in the hunt for a new boss after Peter McDonnell stepped down, but Kernan cited work commitments as his reason for declining the chance to return.

'In one way, I'd love to go back but I'm just involved with a business project and I'm putting all my energies into that,' he said in hoganstand.com.

'But whoever gets the job, there's a great bunch of young lads there. They're young and enthusiastic and certainly he (the new manager) won't be going in starting from scratch.'

He went on: 'I was very lucky to work with my club and my county. I do believe that with all the young boys who are there, we have a good future. But at this minute in time, I would have to say no.

'I'm going to look after my business. We've got a lot of very big contracts and I think it's time for me to look after myself.'

thewanderer

Time for me to look after myself ?????  would it be  possible that Donal Murtagh could be given a shot with possibly a mid man say Peter Raff and Brian mc alinden from the north helping out. ?