Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Fermanagh won - 1.11 - 0.10 - I believe was the score.

Told Gregory Loughran shone well again - & Paddy McKeever (who scored 3 points) when he came on.

Liam McBarron got the Fermanagh goal & some new fella got 5 scores for them.

That's all so far!

High Catch

Easy to see the game wasn't on TV last nite like it was on Sunday!

Not too many reports in as of yet

illdecide

McKenna Cup full-time scoreboard 
FERMANAGH 1-11 0-10 ARMAGH
(H/T 1-7 0-4)

DERRY 1-15 2-08 ST MARY'S

(H/T 1-8 0-4)

ANTRIM 0-10 0-09 CAVAN

(H/T 0-5 0-5)

TYRONE 3-06 1-07 DOWN

(H/T 2-4 1-1)

From BBC website. I see their coverage is getting better ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Lads i took this off Orchard County!!! And dunno who wrote it either but it's long and detailed

Went to Breffni park tonight to watch the game thought I would give you some of my views on it . First of all I take my hat of to Cavan Gaa . what a ground, it looked splendid under 6 huge lighting bars . The pitch was lit brighter than the sunniest day. Small crowd ,maybe only a hundred Armagh Supporters ,outnumberd two to one by a very voiciferous Fermanagh contingent. Well in general it was a better display than Sunday. The half-back line of McKeever Aidan O Rourke and Finnian Moriarity was adequate. Enda went to full back with Mc Coy at corner and I am at a loss to know who the other corner back was. Having said that the full back line and indeed the defence as a whole gave away far to many fres particularly in the first half ,at one stage we were seven points down . One can argue over a few of them as bad decisions but Fermanagh gave a much more controlled dispaly of tackiling. There were no programmes left and the programmes that have been printed for these matches are useless because we only have squads and they were not playing to squad numbers. Hence if u missed the announcements at the start You struggled to come to terms with the team line-up and with so many new faces well you can guess the problem. Aidan O Rourke played a very intelligent game and although not near match fitness did give a much needed physical presence to the centre. Unlike the lights luck did not shine our way as right from the throw-in and I mean literally the throw-in Ronan Austin was carried of on a stretcher with what seemed like a nasty injury. Whether the fermanagh mid-fielder came down on leg I am not sure but I dont suspect anything sinister. Dara Edwards his partner was not at the races . We were cleaned out at mid-field and Ronanns replacement Mark Quinn just isnt up to inter county standard at the moment. But Gareth swift moved out midway and what a difference he made . For me personally I thought Swift was Armagh's man of the match . He ran tackled competed carried the ball and generally gave what I would call a very encouraging display. Again our forwards proved to be the achilles heel. Hard won possesion was not turned into scores by weak forward play. In my opinion Martin O rourke gets more ball than any three men on the pitch but his ball winning ability is destroyed by poor mobility and forward awareness. Time and time again he is bottled up becomes frustarted then involved in afters and booked and tonight was lucky not to be sent of. Its obvious he has great qualities but they need to be more fine tuned and Martin more focused on the game not the talking. Paddy McKeevers introduction tonight for me was another encouraging sign. Only on the field a few minutes he knocked over a peach of a point and showed graet enthusiasm for the game . Mistakes ,yes ,missed frees an odd one ,but overall Paddy I thought showed good leadership qualities . Six points down at half time things could only get better and that they did Armagh quickly pegged Fermanagh back to three points with three well taken scores . Armagh in the second half were most encouraging and outscored them 6-4 . really the goal was the difference. The team played better as a unit but to often free kicks were misplaced and again a silly mistake by our Lisommon goalkeeper and a few dubious frees let Fermanagh of the hook and gave them a victory that seemed to mean more to them than defeat did to us. In defence of our goalkeeper whose name eludes me his kickouts were very good and for good parts of the second half we dominated mid-field. Conor Clarke and Stefan Forker were introduced and this produced a mixed bag. Conor unfortunately just didnt cut it . Made some simple errors kicking was weak and of target and surprisingly didnt seem to hav ethe legs when chasing back on an Fermanagh player in possesion. Pity I rate him highly but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and Conor starved out there. On the other hand Stefan definetly showed well. His first touch was excellent he held possesion well and moved the ball with some good intelligent play . Although only on for a few mins gave a good account. Mc Coy at corner back has got it and with a bit more time to asess I think he will come up trumps. Gregory Loughran gave all he had but I think he ia a limited player.his position at number 11 is much more suited to his style of play. Strong robust I thought he had a decent game .. In all A much more heartning display than Sunday even though at one stage I thought a cricket score was going to be the result and not in our favour. Peter is right to giv ethese fringe players a good opportunityto stake aclaim in the last thirty . Its important they get the chance and die with their boots on rather than sit on the bench hoping waiting and eventually being told to go without getting a fair crack of the whip . Anyway sorry for boring . I hav eonly posted twice before and I am sure u can guess why ..lol anyway up the orchard and role on Sunday

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: High Catch on January 10, 2008, 09:38:44 AM
Easy to see the game wasn't on TV last nite like it was on Sunday!

Not too many reports in as of yet

A sunday aftrernoon in Lurgan is a bit handier than a Wednesday night in Breffni also!

illdecide

Just phoned Ronan Austin there. He broke his left leg (i think he said Fibula) last night from the throw in. He told me all he remembers is the ref throwing up the ball and him catching it and thats it, woke up in Cavan hospital on the morphine. He's not to sure how bad a break it is as it was late last night someone today will assess it and phone him in the afternoon. Lets hope it heals without any complications.

Get well soon Austie!!!

Goats Do Shave

Horrible luck!

Get well soon big lad!

mackers

Team was:
1. P Rodgers 2. Gerard McCreesh 3. E McNulty 4. G McCoy 5. C McKeever 6. A'Rourke 7. F Morairty 8. R Austin 9. D Edwards 10. B Mallon 11. G Loughran 12. L O'Hare 13. M O'Rourke 14. G Swift 15. K O'Rourke

Couple of points on that report I though Swift played well, only criticism is that sometimes he tried to take too much out of the ball but hopefully he gets an extended run. I can't agree with the assessment on Paddy McKeever, yes he scored a great point at the end of the first half and hit a great pass in for one of the early points in the second half but he also came up with some of his usual errors. I thought Conor Clarke was poor when he came on with Forker showing fairly well.
Hope Ronan Austin's injury isn't as bad as it looked, the lad was in agony, very unfortunate, just seemed to land awkwardly.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Hank Everlast

when do the club fixtures for the season be made??

winsamsoon

Corn i have taken on board your points of view on the incident but i have to say i am completely shattered by the fact you thought we had fallen out over this issue :) :) :) :). As you know in arguments we all have opinions. This is what allows this site to keep going, i say happy days because it sometimes gives you the chance to see it from the unbiased side of the fence (even though we are never biased) ;) Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and some stink, like seanies the other day but the lad has apologised so we'll forgive him. Rol on the arguments because they are healthy if nothing else. Who wouldn't want to debate our great game and the incidents that occur in it. Oh and Ronan i hope you get back soon lad your services are required at club level.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

1st Training session this sunday :'( It's strange because your looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time. This will be my last year playing although i don't expect to figure in to many games as there are some good young fellas coming through who needs the games more than i need them. Hopefully i will be giving out more orders than receiving them ;) ;)

I assume all the teams around the country will be starting soon???

bennydorano

County Championship draws are being made Thursday 17th Jan.

High Catch

Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2008, 12:01:59 PM
County Championship draws are being made Thursday 17th Jan.

I was told it was Monday 21st?

bennydorano

You could be right, I had that date in my head too.

Hank Everlast

ill decide, from wat ive heard ur boots and a few of the other (lets say more mature players) may get more footy than u expect this year!! sure did the 93/94 team not beat the youngers lads there on boxing day?!?!