New beginnings?

Started by mup, July 06, 2018, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Following the #newbridgeorwhere episode and the soundings from Donegal GAA, do we foresee the future of the GAA changing?

Will we see more neutral games? Will we see tickets being distributed more evenly (i.e. Hill 16)? Will we see different teams warm up on front of the hill when Dublin are playing? Will we see dressing rooms being allocated on an ad hoc basis? Will GAA monies bee distributed on a needs basis?

Are will the rumblings in 2018 be forgotten come next year?

AZOffaly

I think there may be more of an appetite to challenge the status quo where teams/counties feel they are being unfairly treated, especially if they feel that they are being discommoded because of financial reasons. I do see more counties agitating for home games rather than double headers.

I also see some discussion about the format of the Super 8.

However, I predict that a rule will be proposed that will allow the CCCC to confirm venues, and only allow home venues if the CCCC confirm the fixture. I think you will see the removal of the wording about home venues for qualifiers.

IF this rule is defeated, I think we are in a new era potentially. If it is carried, then I think the financial grip tightens again.

giveballaghback

Not while the following continues,
1. Club delegates to county boards are decided on a persons availability to attend meetings rather than overall ability.
2 . The same applies to county board delegates to provincial councils whose power far exceeds their ability.
3. Delegates to central council are rewards for loyalty to the gaa and are most unlikely to oppose the dictatorial attitude of gaa headquarters.
And we all follow like sheep. 

mup

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2018, 02:45:22 PM
I think there may be more of an appetite to challenge the status quo where teams/counties feel they are being unfairly treated, especially if they feel that they are being discommoded because of financial reasons. I do see more counties agitating for home games rather than double headers.

I also see some discussion about the format of the Super 8.

However, I predict that a rule will be proposed that will allow the CCCC to confirm venues, and only allow home venues if the CCCC confirm the fixture. I think you will see the removal of the wording about home venues for qualifiers.

IF this rule is defeated, I think we are in a new era potentially. If it is carried, then I think the financial grip tightens again.

Your last line is very important. A lot of club delegates tend to be 'yes men' when it comes to county board meetings. Therefore I can see the rule you write about being carried unfortunately.

I really hope it continues. Home venues are very important to counties for both support and financial reasons. By support I mean the young lads attending games seeing their heroes in their own local patch. It can only be a good thing.

mup

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 06, 2018, 02:57:30 PM
Not while the following continues,
1. Club delegates to county boards are decided on a persons availability to attend meetings rather than overall ability.
2 . The same applies to county board delegates to provincial councils whose power far exceeds their ability.
3. Delegates to central council are rewards for loyalty to the gaa and are most unlikely to oppose the dictatorial attitude of gaa headquarters.
And we all follow like sheep.

You are right. A lot of club stalwarts are still going to these meeting because they always went. No one else is willing to step forward.

Rossfan

Important to get home games, a great help if you're looking for sponsors etc.
Leinster should start by having at least the Preliminary and Quarter Finals home and away even for Louth.
Hurley crowd showed the way this season.
For the Super 8's rewrite the venues as Neutral/Croke Park. Add an addendum that you can't play your home game on the same pitch you used as Neutral/Croke Park.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rrhf

Quote from: mup on July 06, 2018, 02:39:22 PM
Following the #newbridgeorwhere episode and the soundings from Donegal GAA, do we foresee the future of the GAA changing?

Will we see more neutral games? Will we see tickets being distributed more evenly (i.e. Hill 16)? Will we see different teams warm up on front of the hill when Dublin are playing? Will we see dressing rooms being allocated on an ad hoc basis? Will GAA monies bee distributed on a needs basis?

Are will the rumblings in 2018 be forgotten come next year?
Beware the ides of March. President calmed things down but the reclaimation  of the Gaa by the patrons is only beginning... it will be a good thing or a split could happen. Who actually owns croke Park these days?

Rossfan

The GAA doesn't do splits -even in the midst of Civil War.
(Maybe Laois is a pig headed exception ;D)
Are the "patrons" not those of us who attend games as spectators?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

CumminsCiderLarry

the dubs need to be out of croker permanently. Need more games in provincial grounds. Need neutral referees now.