Heart Monitors

Started by Joxer, March 05, 2012, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

I see Donegal had a couple of players fitted with heart monitors before the game yesterday.  I am nearly sure that this practice is illegal in Soccer and Rugby.  Is there any rules in the GAA?  Nothing wrong with monitoring your players progress and it is a good way of looking at their work rate, peaks and resting periods and that sort of thing.  Just looked it up there and nothing mentioning safety risks.  Is there any other counties doing this?

EDIT:

haranguerer

Why would it not be safe???

Illegal in soccer and rugby? i've never that

Joxer

Sorry just edited the post there as you replied.  I am not 100% on that but I remeber hearing somewhere that they were illegal. Maybe (Probably) I am totally wrong.  I could see  nothing wrong with it myself.

Hound

You see soccer players wearing them in pre-season friendlies, but not in competitive matches.

Arguably could be considered a form of cheating if you monitor them during a matches you could more easily determine who is tiring and should be taken off?

johnneycool

Quote from: Hound on March 05, 2012, 12:34:36 PM
You see soccer players wearing them in pre-season friendlies, but not in competitive matches.

Arguably could be considered a form of cheating if you monitor them during a matches you could more easily determine who is tiring and should be taken off?

If a manager needs heart monitors and the likes for that then they shouldn't be managers.

mannix

Maybe in donegals case gps would work better, that way they can sub anyone that passes the half way line.

imtommygunn

Heart rate monitors have their place in endurance sports but not sure about on the GAA pitch.

What do they do with the data? On a pitch you should spend continuous short bursts going anaerobic so will have a very spiky heart rate. I dunno what you do with this kind of into?

The only things I could think of them doing was saying your average heart rate was far too low so you need to get the finger out or your heart rate was too high so you could probably do with getting fitter..

Maybe they have uses in training but not sure about matches...

donegal_abu

Donegal were wearing them.. saw Mark McHugh pull one off in the second half. they wore them in a mckenna cup game aswell.... against UUJ I think ?? I dont see whats wrong with it to be honest ? It just moniters their fitness and you cant tell how they work in gmae situations from training

tyssam5

Maybe trying to compare game intensity to training intensity?