Rural Ireland's football future

Started by joemamas, August 21, 2019, 01:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2019, 10:15:05 AM
Eh... yea I get what you're saying Hound, but if one had a Mayo parent and a parent from any of the other Connacht counties the poor ladeen wouldn't know what to do. Plus it deviates from the pride of place spirit that's so imbued in us.

But is that not better than him playing with Dublin, or only having ambition to play with Dublin!?

People thinking that stopping/restricting the games development funding will stop Dublin are in LaLaLand.
Equally sending a games development officer to a rural club in Mayo, where all the kids are already up at the GAA club and they realise almost every parent volunteer already knows as much as the GDO won't reap many rewards. The GDOs are good for soccer towns or rugby towns, where there's untapped potential. Although you've got places like Balbriggan and Finglas where the GDOs haven't made a blind bit of difference.

It's number you're getting short of, and without a decentralisation policy from government, it's only going to get worse.  I'm sure most people have some bit of gra for the county where their parents are born, and if you tap into that early, you never know...

seafoid

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2019, 11:32:24 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 26, 2019, 10:15:05 AM
Eh... yea I get what you're saying Hound, but if one had a Mayo parent and a parent from any of the other Connacht counties the poor ladeen wouldn't know what to do. Plus it deviates from the pride of place spirit that's so imbued in us.

But is that not better than him playing with Dublin, or only having ambition to play with Dublin!?

People thinking that stopping/restricting the games development funding will stop Dublin are in LaLaLand.
Equally sending a games development officer to a rural club in Mayo, where all the kids are already up at the GAA club and they realise almost every parent volunteer already knows as much as the GDO won't reap many rewards. The GDOs are good for soccer towns or rugby towns, where there's untapped potential. Although you've got places like Balbriggan and Finglas where the GDOs haven't made a blind bit of difference.

It's number you're getting short of, and without a decentralisation policy from government, it's only going to get worse.  I'm sure most people have some bit of gra for the county where their parents are born, and if you tap into that early, you never know...

Stopping the money or else dumping Dublin out of the championship /Breaking Dublin up are the options

Stein's law- if something can't continue forever it won't 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

joemamas

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2019, 07:47:23 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 22, 2019, 04:54:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 22, 2019, 11:05:19 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 22, 2019, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 22, 2019, 08:54:59 AM
Mayo got a centre of excellence in the middle of a bog
Oh, sorry Connacht got the centre
And soon they'll have a giant bouncy castle

Mayo got huge funding for McHale park
AND a bailout when they blew the budget

A lot of money spent on those projects

Still paying back the bailout. Clubs are I mean. I do believe there's another centre of excellence in the pipeline although I'm not sure when.

Back to Loose Cannon's point, amalgamations are happening left, right and centre in Mayo at underage. We even had a situation 2 years ago having Ballyhaunis and Aghsmore joining up at minor. Terrible indictment on Ballyhaunis imo.

Population loss or just young lads no longer want to play?
IMO, a  bit of both to be honest but the former is the more serious one.
After all, every part of the country has problems with kids not bothering to play any sort of field game but if you don't have youngsters, you get them to play anything.
I went to a small rural school in near Swinford back in the 60s. The teachers in the parish organised an 11 a side  tournament back then. Today, there is only the town school open.
That's something Dubs can't understand and think life can go on as it has always with Dublin growing bigger and their country cousins just moaning and whining, as always.

This year I think half the county panel are based in Dublin. 
It seems reasonable that a good number of these lads will settle down to work and live in the city so in the next few years, they will be lost to the county, probably forever. Odds are that their kids will play with a local club and grew up as Dub supporters.
I can't blame Dub supporters for wanting to keep things the same as always and getting the lion's share of whatever money is available, the gap between Dublin and the rest will become unsustainable.
The last line of your post has absolutely nothing to the rest of it! Funding won't change population movement! McCreevy did his best to do something about the problem of everyone wanting to live in Dublin, but his decentralisation plan go fecked out over petty mindedness typical of politicians (why is this town getting stuff and my town isn't? And then nobody gets anything, but I'm happy so long as that other town didn't get something!)

Here's an article the purpose of which was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail about the primary reasons.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html

But I don't most people actually care. Let's focus on the red herring!

Huge amount of country people in Dublin clubs driving standards, increasing playing numbers with their kids, increasing coaching numbers with their volunteerism. And not an ounce of initiative from counties outside Dublin about it.

Why wouldn't Mayo get 5 or 6 ex-county players to organise a session in somewhere like Abbotstown on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Invite all U12s and U13s living in Dublin who have a Mayo parent. Publicise it so everyone knows about it. Maybe do it on a pan-Connacht basis. The 5 counties join forces to run it, anyone with a Connacht parent can come along. You'd get a great turnout. What Mayo parent with a 12 year old in Dublin wouldn't want to bring his lad for a Mayo trial.

Bring them back for another session. Whittle the numbers down bit by bit. Give them Mayo gear. Organise Mayo v Galway challenges and mix them in with the locals. Nothing to lose, these lads will continue to benefit from the Dublin club system, and any of them that get to play Senior 1 or 2 at adult level will all be potential intercounty players with a stronger link back to their parent's county,and you might just end up with a few more players.

I think that is a very reasonable idea, the reality is that a less than 1% of the kids of rural county parents are going to make the Dublin senior team in any event, and as a result they may get disheartened because of this and never develop their true potential.

As an aside, I finished reading a book over the weekend called "Prisoners of Geography" by Tim Marshall, (worthwhile read). Very simple summary,Power is determined by physical location.
In hindsight, I could titled this subject, "Rural Ireland's football, Prisoners of Geography".
Maybe some folks on Jones road might read it.

Lar Naparka

Still paying back the bailout. Clubs are I mean. I do believe there's another centre of excellence in the pipeline although I'm not sure when.

Back to Loose Cannon's point, amalgamations are happening left, right and centre in Mayo at underage. We even had a situation 2 years ago having Ballyhaunis and Aghsmore joining up at minor. Terrible indictment on Ballyhaunis imo.

After all, every part of the country has problems with kids not bothering to play any sort of field game but if you don't have youngsters, you get them to play anything.
I went to a small rural school in near Swinford back in the 60s. The teachers in the parish organised an 11 a side  tournament back then. Today, there is only the town school open.
That's something Dubs can't understand and think life can go on as it has always with Dublin growing bigger and their country cousins just moaning and whining, as always.

It seems reasonable that a good number of these lads will settle down to work and live in the city so in the next few years, they will be lost to the county, probably forever. Odds are that their kids will play with a local club and grew up as Dub supporters.
I can't blame Dub supporters for wanting to keep things the same as always and getting the lion's share of whatever money is available, the gap between Dublin and the rest will become unsustainable.
The last line of your post has absolutely nothing to the rest of it! [/b]Funding won't change population movement! McCreevy did his best to do something about the problem of everyone wanting to live in Dublin, but his decentralisation plan go fecked out over petty mindedness typical of politicians (why is this town getting stuff and my town isn't? And then nobody gets anything, but I'm happy so long as that other town didn't get something!)

Here's an article the purpose of which was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail about the primary reasons.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html

Huge amount of country people in Dublin clubs driving standards, increasing playing numbers with their kids, increasing coaching numbers with their volunteerism. And not an ounce of initiative from counties outside Dublin about it.

Why wouldn't Mayo get 5 or 6 ex-county players to organise a session in somewhere like Abbotstown on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Invite all U12s and U13s living in Dublin who have a Mayo parent. Publicise it so everyone knows about it. Maybe do it on a pan-Connacht basis. The 5 counties join forces to run it, anyone with a Connacht parent can come along. You'd get a great turnout. What Mayo parent with a 12 year old in Dublin wouldn't want to bring his lad for a Mayo trial.

Bring them back for another session. Whittle the numbers down bit by bit. Give them Mayo gear. Organise Mayo v Galway challenges and mix them in with the locals. Nothing to lose, these lads will continue to benefit from the Dublin club system, and any of them that get to play Senior 1 or 2 at adult level will all be potential intercounty players with a stronger link back to their parent's county,and you might just end up with a few more players.
Unfortunately, the last sentence has everything to do with what I wrote earlier. Hone in on the last word I wrote- "sustainable."
I didn't bring the subject of funding into my post. What I'm talking about is the existence of rural Ireland a sit used to be and what it is fast becoming. Most of the Dub posters here are genuine, logical individuals, well capable of stating a point of view and backing it up but you have developed the perception that jealous culchies want a share of the loot and are not prepared to get off their backsides and muck in as Dublin has done.
If only life was that simple!
GDO funding won't arrest the flight from the land. The GAA plays an important role in Irish life, or so we like to think but society is changing fast and unless the GAH does likewise, iit will become increasingly irrelevant as time goes by. Right now, Jean-Claude and Angelan not to mention Bojo and his companion clown Rees-Mogg will do more to influence the shape of Irish society in the future than any amount of motions on the clár at Congress ever will.
Those who are leaving rural Ireland are in the main post Leaving Certs hoping to obtain a third level qualification and if they do, thy won't find much work in their chosen professions back where they came from. I cannot see any amount of well-intentioned individuals coming together and motivating their kids to play with their own native counties. Remember kids like to be part of a gang and if their mates support the Dubs then so will the offspring of those who may have played for any other county in the land. No easy option there.
I regard funding as important but it must be kept in perspective. No amount of coaching ns ice creams and bags of crisps or cúl caps for that matter will mean much to youngsters when they are no youngsters left.
You say funding should follow population and if you adopt a particular point of view, then you are correct.
But that's not the way horse racing works- what about handicaps?
Does giving a Dub youngster €274 for GDO purposes and giving their Kerry counterparts a mere €19 do much for football in rural Ireland?
The problem, IMO, is that the 32 county model is a throwback to the days of the horse and cart. As Seafóid astutely points out, "Stein's law- if something can't continue forever, it won't"!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

That's a load of rambling nonsense Lar.

Again, mentioning 274 as if it means something! Deliberately misinformed and happy to lap it up. Wallowing in self pity and and peddling nonsense to justify it! There's nothing to be done, woe is me.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on August 26, 2019, 08:44:39 PM
That's a load of rambling nonsense Lar.

Again, mentioning 274 as if it means something! Deliberately misinformed and happy to lap it up. Wallowing in self pity and and peddling nonsense to justify it! There's nothing to be done, woe is me.
I'm a bit disappointed here Hound as I felt you were of the few Dubs that could discuss the problems facing the GAA without resorting to paranoia and circling the wagons if anyone suggest that the good times won't last forever.
If my last post was/is a "load of rambling nonsense" perhaps you could point out a single point that I  raised that doesn't make sense- just one any one. Take your time and be my guest.....
For instance, why is the 274 meaningless...deliberately misinformed and wallowing in self-pity?
I'm honestly puzzled here. Is there anything in what I wrote that shows I am guilty of any of the above? I'd like to see it if you can find it.

Hound

Well putting "seafoid" and "astute" in the same sentence for starters!  ;)

This was supposed to be a thread on "Rural Ireland's football future" Lar, and your first post (bar the last sentence) was an excellent synopsis of the situation and exactly how I feel. The ever increasing drive for people to move out of rural and into Dublin in particular is bad for the country and very bad for the GAA. I know the IDA do their best to encourage new companies move to places other than Dublin, but it's a hard sell when there's no political push for it. Since McCreevy's decentralisation policy was sadly done away with, there has not been a single coherent government policy in this regard.

But you finished you post with:
QuoteI can't blame Dub supporters for wanting to keep things the same as always and getting the lion's share of whatever money is available, the gap between Dublin and the rest will become unsustainable.   
The games development funding has zero to do with people moving out of rural areas!! Not a single person has ever moved out of rural Ireland because of lack of games development officer! And then you said:
QuoteI didn't bring the subject of funding into my post.
Well, clearly, you did!

And then the preposterous:
QuoteDoes giving a Dub youngster €274 for GDO purposes and giving their Kerry counterparts a mere €19 do much for football in rural Ireland?
Do you seriously believe this?
As I said, I know you didn't come up with the figure, but you still choose to use it when it's a nonsense.

Do you have any idea where this BS €274 figure comes from?
Do you care where it comes from?
Does club membership include adults?
Does it include hurlers?
Does it include women footballers?
Does it include camogie?
Do GDOs coach adult teams?
Do GDOs spent most of their time taking PE classes for boys and girls in primary schools and taking toddler groups on weekend mornings?
In Dublin, what percentage of a GDO's time is taken up with children who are not members?
What are the figures per capita when you break it down by primary school child?
Do you prefer to go for a headline €274 nonsense figure because it helps make whatever point you're trying to make?

But I not talking any more about Dublin funding on a rural thread. There's another thread on that and I'll pop in there every now and again. To finish that subject, and for anyone who is interested in what actually happens, again I put up this article, the purpose of which was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail about the primary reasons.

Back on topic:
Given the move out of rural and into Dublin, and the fact that politicians seem to be doing feck all about it, surely country teams setting up development panels in Dublin is at least an idea worth exploring? Although maybe most of the replies I get will be excuses and barricades.

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 26, 2019, 05:23:53 PM

The last line of your post has absolutely nothing to the rest of it! [/b]Funding won't change population movement! McCreevy did his best to do something about the problem of everyone wanting to live in Dublin, but his decentralisation plan go fecked out over petty mindedness typical of politicians (why is this town getting stuff and my town isn't? And then nobody gets anything, but I'm happy so long as that other town didn't get something!)

Unfortunately, the last sentence has everything to do with what I wrote earlier. Hone in on the last word I wrote- "sustainable."
I didn't bring the subject of funding into my post. What I'm talking about is the existence of rural Ireland a sit used to be and what it is fast becoming. Most of the Dub posters here are genuine, logical individuals, well capable of stating a point of view and backing it up but you have developed the perception that jealous culchies want a share of the loot and are not prepared to get off their backsides and muck in as Dublin has done.
If only life was that simple!
GDO funding won't arrest the flight from the land. The GAA plays an important role in Irish life, or so we like to think but society is changing fast and unless the GAH does likewise, iit will become increasingly irrelevant as time goes by. Right now, Jean-Claude and Angelan not to mention Bojo and his companion clown Rees-Mogg will do more to influence the shape of Irish society in the future than any amount of motions on the clár at Congress ever will.
Those who are leaving rural Ireland are in the main post Leaving Certs hoping to obtain a third level qualification and if they do, thy won't find much work in their chosen professions back where they came from. I cannot see any amount of well-intentioned individuals coming together and motivating their kids to play with their own native counties. Remember kids like to be part of a gang and if their mates support the Dubs then so will the offspring of those who may have played for any other county in the land. No easy option there.
I regard funding as important but it must be kept in perspective. No amount of coaching ns ice creams and bags of crisps or cúl caps for that matter will mean much to youngsters when they are no youngsters left.
You say funding should follow population and if you adopt a particular point of view, then you are correct.
But that's not the way horse racing works- what about handicaps?
Does giving a Dub youngster €274 for GDO purposes and giving their Kerry counterparts a mere €19 do much for football in rural Ireland?
The problem, IMO, is that the 32 county model is a throwback to the days of the horse and cart. As Seafóid astutely points out, "Stein's law- if something can't continue forever, it won't"!
The economic system is dying, Lar
The German economy is banjaxed. Malnutrition rates are up in the UK
10% of global companies generate 80% of all profits
70% of Yanks feel angry because the political system only seems to work for the rich
Sanders is going very well in the US. There is a hunger for change.

There is going to be a handover from capital to labour
That will hurt Dublin.
House prices will come back down to normal as well.

The GAA will have to be de-neoliberalised.
It's going to be a wild ride. 

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 09:18:27 AM
70% of Yanks feel angry because the political system only seems to work for the rich

That will hurt Dublin.

With populations only set to increase, and the populations of cities in particular set to grow (all around the world), how do you see house prices coming down? Even if capital got redistributed in a fairer manner, that would only drive up prices, too. Wealth + Scarcity in the history of the world has only ever driven up cost.

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on August 27, 2019, 01:06:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 27, 2019, 09:18:27 AM

That will hurt Dublin.

With populations only set to increase, and the populations of cities in particular set to grow (all around the world), how do you see house prices coming down? Even if capital got redistributed in a fairer manner, that would only drive up prices, too. Wealth + Scarcity in the history of the world has only ever driven up cost.

Interest rates to go up
How? Economic crash. banking crisis. Debts added on to Sovereign. Bond prices fall. Yields go up
Ireland has another housing bubble . According to Morgan Kelly, 70% of the increase during the bubble is lost in the crash.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hound on August 27, 2019, 08:33:33 AM
Well putting "seafoid" and "astute" in the same sentence for starters!  ;)

This was supposed to be a thread on "Rural Ireland's football future" Lar, and your first post (bar the last sentence) was an excellent synopsis of the situation and exactly how I feel. The ever increasing drive for people to move out of rural and into Dublin in particular is bad for the country and very bad for the GAA. I know the IDA do their best to encourage new companies move to places other than Dublin, but it's a hard sell when there's no political push for it. Since McCreevy's decentralisation policy was sadly done away with, there has not been a single coherent government policy in this regard.

But you finished you post with:
QuoteI can't blame Dub supporters for wanting to keep things the same as always and getting the lion's share of whatever money is available, the gap between Dublin and the rest will become unsustainable.   
The games development funding has zero to do with people moving out of rural areas!! Not a single person has ever moved out of rural Ireland because of lack of games development officer! And then you said:
QuoteI didn't bring the subject of funding into my post.
Well, clearly, you did!

And then the preposterous:
QuoteDoes giving a Dub youngster €274 for GDO purposes and giving their Kerry counterparts a mere €19 do much for football in rural Ireland?
Do you seriously believe this?
As I said, I know you didn't come up with the figure, but you still choose to use it when it's a nonsense.

Do you have any idea where this BS €274 figure comes from?
Do you care where it comes from?
Does club membership include adults?
Does it include hurlers?
Does it include women footballers?
Does it include camogie?
Do GDOs coach adult teams?
Do GDOs spent most of their time taking PE classes for boys and girls in primary schools and taking toddler groups on weekend mornings?
In Dublin, what percentage of a GDO's time is taken up with children who are not members?
What are the figures per capita when you break it down by primary school child?
Do you prefer to go for a headline €274 nonsense figure because it helps make whatever point you're trying to make?

But I not talking any more about Dublin funding on a rural thread. There's another thread on that and I'll pop in there every now and again. To finish that subject, and for anyone who is interested in what actually happens, again I put up this article, the purpose of which was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail about the primary reasons.

Back on topic:
Given the move out of rural and into Dublin, and the fact that politicians seem to be doing feck all about it, surely country teams setting up development panels in Dublin is at least an idea worth exploring? Although maybe most of the replies I get will be excuses and barricades.
I think if you were to go back and re-read my statement, you'll find I wasn't having a dig at Dublin. I've said umpteen times that I don't have any time for moaners and there's little point in whinging about what Dublin is getting by way of subsides/ grants or whatever. It's up to every county to promote its own interests.
Strictly on topic, this thread is about the future of football in rural Ireland and if Kerry gets (got?) €19 for any form of games promotion, whereas Dublins gets €274, then something isn't quite right.
That's not a moan about Dublin- that's a matter for HQ. (BTW, that also a matter for the Kerry County Board.)
The infographic we are referring to was posted on this forum some time ago and was discussed at length a number of times already. I came across it on Balls.ie and it was attributed to Shane Mangan. Dunno much about him but I haven't come across a single individual yt who challenged his credibility. Loads have disagreed with his conclusions, fair enough, that's only natural,  but I haven't found anyone yet who disputes the stats he used.
In short, I'll accept that based on 2015 figures, a registered GAA player in Kerry got €19 while a Dublin counterpart got €274. What the money is used for is not an issue for me.
"The infographic is simply the games development funds by county divided by schoolkids in the county."
That's what I came across on Balls.ie and as far as I know, the money is not strictly for kids' coaching purposes only but is based on the number of children in the area. There may well be subtle differences between GDOs and GDAs and whatever but the figures of 19 v 274 remain, whatever yardstick is used to measure grant aid.