Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

Answer the question I asked,

Do you think a player can push a linesman and have no punishment?

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

So because the officials fúcked up Connolly should walk? It's a review-able offense, lad. Have theses Dublin apologists actually read back their own thoughts?

Who says they fúcked up though? They dealt with it (it didn't merit a red / yellow / black etc) My issue is they are reviewing a decision, at whos behest we don't know, they already made. Is that fair on Connolly?

Syferus

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: westbound on June 14, 2017, 10:39:36 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 07:32:44 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

So because the officials fúcked up Connolly should walk? It's a review-able offense, lad. Have theses Dublin apologists actually read back their own thoughts?

Who says they fúcked up though? They dealt with it (it didn't merit a red / yellow / black etc) My issue is they are reviewing a decision, at whos behest we don't know, they already made. Is that fair on Connolly?

If he committed the offense and wasn't correctly punished, of course it's fair on him.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Syferus on June 14, 2017, 11:36:55 AM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

If he committed the offense and wasn't correctly punished, of course it's fair on him.

Well then we are in the realm of 'make it up as you go along'.

As far as I was aware, the ref and linesman were in agreement that he didn't need to be 'correctly punished'.

The Hill is Blue

With the championship now in full swing is it not amazing that the busiest topic by far on this forum is not any of the games but the bold Diarmuid. What would we do without the lad?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Hardy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 14, 2017, 11:56:19 AM
What would we do without the lad?

Make up an appeal of some kind, I suppose.
:P

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 14, 2017, 11:56:19 AM
With the championship now in full swing is it not amazing that the busiest topic by far on this forum is not any of the games but the bold Diarmuid. What would we do without the lad?

Roscommon haven't even entered the 2017 Championship yet. There's never even half a swing until we arrive.

ballinaman

Jim Gavin sent this card to Diarmuid this morning.

Fuzzman

Am amazed by some of the opinions on here over the last few days but obviously some are just on the wind up.

For those who seem to be saying Connolly hardly touched the linesman surely they can tell the difference between putting an arm around the ref or an official in a method of chatting to him about his decision as opposed to pushing him back a few steps and shouting and pointing.
One is wishing to calmly have a discussion and give their opinion calmly and the other is much more aggressive.

Most reasonable people I think accept that as have most Dubs I've heard talking about it but where some people are taking issue is the old chestnut of who why does the CCCC only get involved in some incidents and is it depended on the media's coverage of the incidents.
Many would argue that if the match wasn't on live TV and was say the Offaly v Westmeath game then the CCCC would not have got involved.
Whilst I can see this side of the argument the fact still remains that the incident did happen, it wasn't dealt with at the time by the ref, the linesman brought it to the refs attention afterwards and then the CCCC dealt with it then afterwards

What I would like to see is the GAA clarify for once and for all the rules about that the CCCC can ask the referee to review his decision in light of something he didn't deal with. I would actually wish they would change this rule to extend it to allowing the referee to change his mind over a decision he made. Why leave it so vague?

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 14, 2017, 02:09:05 PM
Whilst I can see this side of the argument the fact still remains that the incident did happen, it wasn't dealt with at the time by the ref, the linesman brought it to the refs attention afterwards and then the CCCC dealt with it then afterwards

The thing is, some of what you said there is not true.

In my opinion, this is very similar to when a lad roars at a ref "fook off, ya ballix" in instant reaction to what seems a rubbish decision. The ref has to make a decision whether to let it go or not, even though techncially it's a serious offence.

What Connolly has been charged with is a really serious offence. The officials I would say know full well the rules and know that this is something that carries a 3 month ban from all GAA activities. He can't even go back to his club and train with the 2nd team. And I know how the rule is written, but clearly officials have discretion whether to let things go or whether to impose the letter of the law (otherwise everyone who curses in the direction of the ref would be carded)

The linesman was right there and decided to do nothing. The referee was looking straight at it and decided to do nothing. No red card, no black card, no yellow card, not even a talking to. The ref just signalled for Carlow to take the line ball. Reports now that he noted the incident in his book, although it couldnt have been exactly then as he followed play, but perhaps it was in the next break. But if he noted it, why not make a decision on punishment there and then? Also reported that the incident wasn't in the initial ref's report but was added as an addendum. Why not in the initial report? What changed to add it later?

Of course Connolly did wrong. In full view of linesman and referee. All I'd like to know is why they thought at the time it was a nothing incident, not even worthy of a talking to, never mind a yellow or black card. And then changed their mind (at some later stage, not immediately after the game, but within 24 hours of it) that it should be a red card offence worthy of a 3 month ban from all GAA activity? Can they really say they did not adjudicate on the matter at the time? Did they just suddenly remember sometime that night or the following morning that a nudge of a linesman isnt allowed?
I think Dublin have a right to know exactly what process was followed and thus are right to appeal.

JoG2

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 11:54:41 AM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

As far as I was aware, the ref and linesman were in agreement that he didn't need to be 'correctly punished'.

what do you think they are making up as they go along?

westbound

Fully agree.

Of course not.

You did!
As you confirmed in your previous post, no player should push a linesman and escape punishment.

Main Street

What Freud is not purported to have said, but should have, 'Irish people are genetically indisposed to understanding due process'. In it's stead, emotional reactions and mind reading have become much valued criteria.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on June 14, 2017, 03:30:34 PM
What Freud is not purported to have said, but should have, 'Irish people are genetically indisposed to understanding due process'. In it's stead, emotional reactions and mind reading have become much valued criteria.

These two mechanisms of adjudication have achieved a revered status in GAA discourse as "common sense".

Buttofthehill

Quote from: JoG2 on June 14, 2017, 02:41:36 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 11:54:41 AM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

what do you think they are making up as they go along?

The disciplinary process for doling out punishments/suspensions.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: westbound on June 14, 2017, 03:25:58 PM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

You did!
As you confirmed in your previous post, no player should push a linesman and escape punishment.

Absolutely no player should push an official - red card + ban.
In this instance the linesman originally felt there was no need to take this matter further. I'm not sure whether I agree with him or not but that's his decision. It's how it becomes an issue later on is what's troubling? Why did he change his mind? Was he influenced?
Why wasn't he sent off?