Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

If you shake hands with the ref, are you breaking that rule?
If not, why not?

It's not physical interference. It's not even placing your hands on him. It's a goodwill gesture.

Now if you grabbed his hand and pulled him aggressively it would be different. But clear.

tonto1888

The hearing is tonight right? Any word?

Jinxy

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 13, 2017, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2017, 08:51:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 07:32:44 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

If not, why not?

It's not physical interference. It's not even placing your hands on him. It's a goodwill gesture.

Now if you grabbed his hand and pulled him aggressively it would be different. But clear.

I would agree with you, but technically the rule refers to 'minor physical interference' as follows:

(i) Minor physical interference (e.g. laying a
hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with
a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline
Official.

It's the 'laying a hand on' bit that's open to interpretation, which is why you have clowns on Twitter pausing the Sunday Game to take a screenshots of players touching the ref's arm to get his attention.
Connolly's action was undoubtedly aggressive, and was undoubtedly a push, but the wording of the rule needs to change.
Obviously I don't think players shaking hands with the ref is an issue, but these cases are effectively subject to legal defence standards, and that's the sort of vague characterisation that any legal type would drive a bus through.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aaron Boone

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Jinxy on June 13, 2017, 09:48:38 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 13, 2017, 09:37:44 PM

Fully agree.

If not, why not?

I would agree with you, but technically the rule refers to 'minor physical interference' as follows:

(i) Minor physical interference (e.g. laying a
hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with
a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline
Official.

It's the 'laying a hand on' bit that's open to interpretation, which is why you have clowns on Twitter pausing the Sunday Game to take a screenshots of players touching the ref's arm to get his attention.
Connolly's action was undoubtedly aggressive, and was undoubtedly a push, but the wording of the rule needs to change.
Obviously I don't think players shaking hands with the ref is an issue, but these cases are effectively subject to legal defence standards, and that's the sort of vague characterisation that any legal type would drive a bus through.

The rule says you're not allowed to lay a hand on the referee. Generally handshakes are reciprocal, you offer your hand and they off theirs and you shake. If they don't offer back then it would not be ok.

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED LAY YOUR HAND ON A MATCH OFFICIAL.

That's the rule Connolly got done under and it's a bit of a nothing incident in reality. He was singled out and had certain elements of the GAA media call for a ban for who he was, rather than the gravity of what he did. By virtue of the rules he committed the same infraction as other players this weekend.

Connolly's little shove was not much of a push either. Let us be honest here.

BennyCake

Quote from: laoislad on June 13, 2017, 05:42:38 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 04:33:01 PM
We need to STOP talking about Diarmuid.

29 pages, ffs.

Ah no it needs to keep going, this thread is hilarious!
Connelly should give up the football and play hurling full time. Aren't his parents both from Kilkenny?

I thought his da was from the Dandy comic.

Avondhu star

Fully agree.

If not, why not?

Gobshite
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Hound

That was an interesting one with Brendan Murphy. So many times we have seen 2 yellows where the first one was soft and the second deserved. And while there'd be an element of sympathy for the player getting red, the overriding feeling would be he should have been more careful knowing he was on a yellow. Never heard of a first yellow being rescinded before. Good for him though.

On to the Central Appeals Committee for Connolly presumably
Ironic thing for Connolly is that if he'd done something a little bit worse that actually caused offence to the officials at the time, he probably would have got yellow or black and that'd have been the end of it

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on June 14, 2017, 07:19:34 AM
That was an interesting one with Brendan Murphy. So many times we have seen 2 yellows where the first one was soft and the second deserved. And while there'd be an element of sympathy for the player getting red, the overriding feeling would be he should have been more careful knowing he was on a yellow. Never heard of a first yellow being rescinded before. Good for him though.

Ironic thing for Connolly is that if he'd done something a little bit worse that actually caused offence to the officials at the time, he probably would have got yellow or black and that'd have been the end of it

Murphy hit Kilkenny with a closed fist for first yellow, had committed 3/4 dangerous foul before that. Surprised he wasn't censored for verbal abuse against Brannigan.

five points

Quote from: Gael85 on June 14, 2017, 08:02:40 AM
Surprised he wasn't censored for verbal abuse against Brannigan.

Unless Brannigan notified it to the referee for inclusion in the referee's report, it's a dead letter.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on June 14, 2017, 07:19:34 AM

Where do get the the idea "that'd have been the end of it"? You still don't get it, even after 30 pages.
In any circumstance,  yellow, black, red or no card,  if there is clear video evidence of a player mouthing off to an official and pushing him with the hand, a CCCC inquiry in merited and  would land the player  with an  an inevitable 12 week ban. Have you not read the rules of procedure? Any incident can be referred by the CCCC back to the officials for another viewing.
In this example, the officials would have to admit in the face of the obvious evidence, that Connolly did shout at and push the official back with an amount of aggression. The penalty is then applied by the CCCC , regardless of what action the officials previously took on the pitch.

WT4E

What happens now? When does he get off?

westbound

Fully agree.

Answer the question I asked,

Do you think a player can push a linesman and have no punishment?

Buttofthehill

Quote from: westbound on June 14, 2017, 10:39:36 AM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

Syferus

Quote from: Buttofthehill on June 14, 2017, 10:55:21 AM
Quote from: westbound on June 14, 2017, 10:39:36 AM

Fully agree.

Of course not.

But that's not the issue. The linesman did not deem it worthy of censure - neither did the ref- until the anti-Dublin media swung into action and influenced proceedings causing a reversal of their original decision. Connolly was wrong but he is entitled to due and fair process - this did not happen.

So because the officials fĂșcked up Connolly should walk? It's a review-able offense, lad. Have these Dublin apologists actually read back their own thoughts?