We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 13, 2017, 03:11:29 PM
what does the actually rule state? Does it say you can interfere with an official so long as it is in a friendly manner? Or does it say no interference at all?
a friendly tap or pat is not interference. Connolly pushed branagan while aggressively pointing a finger and shouting at him.
having said that 12 weeks in the middle of summer is a ridiculous punishment for such an offense . if it happened in the league final he'd harldy miss a game at all this way he misses the whole leinster championship
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Hardy

what does the actually rule state? Does it say you can interfere with an official so long as it is in a friendly manner? Or does it say no interference at all?

Rule 7.2 Infractions
Category V
(i) Minor physical interference (e.g. laying a
hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with
a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline
Official.
(ii) Threatening language to a Referee, Umpire,
Linesman or Sideline Official.
(iii) Threatening or abusive conduct towards
Official.
Penalties:
(1) Minimum: 12 weeks Suspension in all Codes
and at all Levels;
(2) Minimum on Repeat Infraction: 24 weeks
Suspension in all Codes and at all Levels.

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on June 13, 2017, 03:35:51 PM
a friendly tap or pat is not interference. Connolly pushed branagan while aggressively pointing a finger and shouting at him.
having said that 12 weeks in the middle of summer is a ridiculous punishment for such an offense . if it happened in the league final he'd harldy miss a game at all this way he misses the whole leinster championship

but it is laying a hand on the referee which according to what Hardy posted constitutes minor physical interference??

tonto1888

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here. I think Connolly deserves his ban but with everyone talking about other players getting away with it I wanted to know what the rule actually was

magpie seanie

Im absolutely stunned at some of the comments on this thread, especially from posters whose opinions are usually spot on and folk I'd respect. The media highlighting of certain incidents is inconsistent and unfair to a large degree but nothing can be done about that sadly. In this case, Connolly is a very high profile player on the highest profile team in gaelic football. Throw in his poor disciplinary record and legal troubles and you have pure gold fro the media. Frustrating if he's your player but it's merely a side issue.

I honestly believe if this was any other player they'd have got the same suspension. Regardless, he has got the correct suspension. And that's all a disciplinary system or any system can hope to do.....provide the correct outcome.

Regarding the "debrief" - I think it's possible there is an explanation for why no action was taken at the time. Connolly has acted very aggressively to the linesman, pushing him and pointing the finger at him in an irate manner. Linesman maybe thinking, "shit, perhaps I got the line ball wrong" and rather than raise his flag to bring ref over (with an irate, pumped up Connolly beside him) decides to let play go on and get the fcuk outta dodge. This all happens in seconds. Refs/officials are human. I'm only guessing but lets be honest - refs don't always get things right. However, it is now in the match report, as it should be, and the correct suspension has been proposed. I cannot see how Connolly or Dublin can have a gripe. If they're annoyed about media attention then you'd have to remind them of their multi million sponsorship deals and why they get them. Can't have it every way. I also think there has to come a time where Diarmuid Connolly learns there's a consequence for losing the head. He has been protected by Vinnies/Dublin GAA admirably (admirable in lots of ways) but there comes a time when he needs to learn a hard lesson.

There is no game without referees.

There are flaws with the GAA disciplinary system and on top of that very few people understand it. Also, when people get suspensions lifted/overturned the reasons why are not made public so people just think it's due to s stroke being pulled when most of the time that's not the reason in fairness.

magpie seanie

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 13, 2017, 04:06:06 PM

but it is laying a hand on the referee which according to what Hardy posted constitutes minor physical interference??

If and when I was playing I'd be very slow to put a hand on a ref or linesman. I only ever shook hands with them before or after a game......genuinely can't remember ever laying my hands on an official at any stage. Too much of a risk. I think there has to be that barrier. I didn't see the other incidents referred to but I'd just say lads are taking an awful chance. The Gooch one that was publicised earlier - he could have been in trouble there. Other cases where things might not have been done correctly don't change any of the facts here though.

tonto1888

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 13, 2017, 04:17:21 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 13, 2017, 04:06:06 PM

If and when I was playing I'd be very slow to put a hand on a ref or linesman. I only ever shook hands with them before or after a game......genuinely can't remember ever laying my hands on an official at any stage. Too much of a risk. I think there has to be that barrier. I didn't see the other incidents referred to but I'd just say lads are taking an awful chance. The Gooch one that was publicised earlier - he could have been in trouble there. Other cases where things might not have been done correctly don't change any of the facts here though.

I agree and in some of the other cases being mentioned I don't think there is anything in it but the rule does say
Rule 7.2 Infractions
Category V
(i) Minor physical interference (e.g. laying a
hand on, pushing, pulling or jostling) with
Official.

I don't know about the debrief but I think he deserves his ban but cant blme him for appealing if there is a technicality he can get off on
I also think the ban should only apply to playing, not training

BennyCake

We need to STOP talking about Diarmuid.

29 pages, ffs.

laoislad

Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 04:33:01 PM

29 pages, ffs.

Ah no it needs to keep going, this thread is hilarious!
Connelly should give up the football and play hurling full time. Aren't his parents both from Kilkenny?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It would be absolutely brilliant if the penalty gets increased to 16 weeks.

Dire Ear

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: mup on June 13, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
I find it impossible to believe that some people are attempting to equate a friendly hand on the shoulder of a ref and Connolly actions against Carlow. I'd like to thinking they are just wumming.

For a person on here to claim they have spent hours defending Gaa officials and then turn around and say Connollys incident is farcical is nothing short of a hypocrite. I'm assuming you are part of a disciplinary committee in your own county and if so then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Did you read the rule?

Jinxy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 07:32:44 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

There are plenty of cases of players over the weekend who infracted the same rule and nothing about it.

If you shake hands with the ref, are you breaking that rule?
If not, why not?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on June 13, 2017, 05:42:38 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 13, 2017, 04:33:01 PM

29 pages, ffs.

Ah no it needs to keep going, this thread is hilarious!
Connelly should give up the football and play hurling full time. Aren't his parents both from Kilkenny?
At least one, but he also has strong Leitrim connections.

Even prior to this incident there was talk he'd concentrate on hurling next year and see how far he gets. Those in the know would say he would have been a certain starter for the Dubs hurlers if he'd concentrated on it throughout his career, but unlikely to have been the star he was in football. Hard to know now whether he could be good enough to break in next year at 30/31, certainly not the shoe-in that Keaney was, for example. Probably more like Shane Ryan who was in-and-out when he switched.

Although personally I hope he sticks with the big ball!