heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 01:02:34 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:56:23 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2017, 12:47:06 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:43:06 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2017, 12:41:59 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 10:18:51 AM
What level of violence is acceptable lenny?

What level of violence is acceptable to you?

You pick and choose and dismiss three players using 'violence' against Connolly off the pitch as a bit of harmless pushing and shoving.

Completely different thing when an official is touched.

There were five instances of officials being touched over the weekend and no sanction.

And how many of those players did so in an aggressive manner causing an official to take two backward steps due to the force exerted upon him?

Get your story straight

You need to cop on FFS. False equivalence and whataboutery. Connolly shoved an official in an aggressive manner. You are trying to obfuscate by equating that with a lad putting his hand on a ref to talk to him in a friendly fashion.

Pathetic. I'm done with this conversation, and it is certainly an eye opener in how some people on here see officials. No wonder we find it hard to get refs.

Your stance is certainly pathetic.

I'm 100% aware there is no equivalence, I was referring to the posters point and the ongoing narrative since that 'you can't put your hand on an official'.

I've already said that what he did was completely wrong, he should serve his suspension and you cannot push a match official.

What I have an issue with (as I've already said):

The complete stitch up way this was done - see the debrief.
The Kangaroo GAA courts.
The fact you dismiss some violence as perfectly acceptable and others will make the whole world collapse, while others proclaim themselves as dissapointed is a joke.

Finally, I've spent hundreds of hours defending referee's, travelling hundreds of miles, have been physically attacked (real violence not the fake violence that keeps you awake at night), among many others so I'll take no lecture from you on that subject.

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 01:18:25 PM

You pick and choose and dismiss three players using 'violence' against Connolly off the pitch as a bit of harmless pushing and shoving.

There were five instances of officials being touched over the weekend and no sanction.

And how many of those players did so in an aggressive manner causing an official to take two backward steps due to the force exerted upon him?

Get your story straight

You need to cop on FFS. False equivalence and whataboutery. Connolly shoved an official in an aggressive manner. You are trying to obfuscate by equating that with a lad putting his hand on a ref to talk to him in a friendly fashion.

Pathetic. I'm done with this conversation, and it is certainly an eye opener in how some people on here see officials. No wonder we find it hard to get refs.

I'm 100% aware there is no equivalence, I was referring to the posters point and the ongoing narrative since that 'you can't put your hand on an official'.

I've already said that what he did was completely wrong, he should serve his suspension and you cannot push a match official.

The Kangaroo GAA courts.
The fact you dismiss some violence as perfectly acceptable and others will make the whole world collapse, while others proclaim themselves as dissapointed is a joke.

Finally, I've spent hundreds of hours defending referee's, travelling hundreds of miles, have been physically attacked (real violence not the fake violence that keeps you awake at night), among many others so I'll take no lecture from you on that subject.

Bullshit

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 01:18:25 PM

Get your story straight

The Kangaroo GAA courts.

Bullshit

That about sums up your inconsistent position alright.

Stall the Bailer

What was done wrong here and what kangaroo courts?A lot assumptions being made it seems.
If the ref didn't see it at the time he can include it in his report.

AZOffaly

Nope it sums up your attempts to muddy the waters on this thread. For what it's worth, this is what I think of your latest attempt.

I've already said that what he did was completely wrong, he should serve his suspension and you cannot push a match official. Completely agree. So why the whataboutery? Is it not just enough to say he was wrong, and he deserves his ban?

I don't know if it was a stitch up, but I agree he should have been sent off, as Evan Comerford was.

The Kangaroo GAA courts. No argument there, it's not fit for purpose. However part of what makes it a joke are appeals like this based on some loophole, rather than on a person's belief that they did not do what they are charged with.

Not sure what you mean by this. But if you mean that I put player-on-referee physical contact on a more serious plane than player-on-player, yes I do. Do I condone violent incidents by players on other players? Absolutely not. But again, if what you are asking me is do I believe what Connolly did is worse than what the 3 Carlow lads did, then yes, absolutely I do.

Taylor

It is pretty clear the facts of the matter:

What Connolly did deserved a red card and a 12 week ban. All this but but but is complete nonsense. He hasnt been banned for verbals. What happened when'x' player hugged a referee last year means nothing either.

Anyone that thinks he doesnt deserve a red card & 12 week ban is a Dub or worse is happy for aggressive action towards a referee on a field.

The disgraceful part of all this is that he didnt get a red, nothing happened at the time and now the kangaroo courts/powers that be are looking a retrospective ban because the linesman/referee hadnt the balls to do it at the time.

Yet another complete shambles by the GAA when it comes to disciplinary

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on June 13, 2017, 09:41:23 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 13, 2017, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 06:46:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

westbound

AZ, you are 100% right here.

It's amazing what some people will try to defend when it is a player in their own county colours.

As an organisation, it is time we got tough on frivolous appeals. Personally, I think no player should ever get off on a technicality.
If you commit a red offence then you get the appropriate ban REGARDLESS of whether the ref makes a balls of writing it in his report or if some fella from the opposition got off last year.

The culture of appeals in GAA is crazy at the moment.

westbound

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 01:54:21 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

It's ok to run 100 metres to abuse them or feign injury to con them and get someone sent off - you don't give up around that though?

it's also ok to put a hand on them in general when they're issuing you a sanction but lightly push them and the whole world collapses?

Come on now heffo, you're embarrassing yourself, it's an undeniable fact that Connolly pushed the linesman back with enough force to make him take two steps back, and it wasn't in a friendly manner and he should really take his 12 weeks on the chin for his own self respect and also Dublin are beginning to take the piss with all the appeals and so forth.
This is setting a bad precedent in terms of justice and how we respect officials and the GAA must tread carefully because if we don't protect officials from physical contact and verbal abuse then we're on the road to no town.

Get real. This wasn't physical abuse, it was a light touch on the shoulder. I've also seen many players much more aggressive in the way they have been shouting in refs faces. The verbal abuse thing is part of the culture of the gaa which is completely wrong and there's no point just trying to make an example of Connolly unless it's followed up with similar sanctions all summer. Go to an u12 or u14 game and listen to the verbal abuse that the ref gets. Again if this hadn't been Connolly it wouldn't have been mentioned again.

Fully agree.

In accordance with rules it's wrong but so is putting your hand on the ref which I saw Andy Moran, Cian Mackey Nd Sean Armstrong do this weekend.

It's clearly a case of the man more than the act being the reason for their ban.

Do you honestly believe that??????

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 01:13:00 PM
I'm glad you find it funny. And it's amazing how blasé people are about an official being pushed hard enough that he takes two steps backward. Connolly deserves 12 weeks, even if the same officials have cack handedly given him an excuse to launch an appeal.

Jesus Christ we're telling young lads to respect refs and to walk away, and now they are seeing the biggest and best team in the country standing behind a player who shoved a ref. It's unreal.

I wouldn't consider a shove to knock you a step back hard. If it put him over on his arse, maybe.

nrico2006

Fully agree.

Agreed.  The other players should all face a 12 week ban if Connolly does.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM

Fully agree.

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

westbound

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: westbound on June 13, 2017, 02:00:07 PM

Fully agree.

Yes. I believe had that been any other Dublin player, it would have drawn no commentary whatsoever.

So you think any player can push the linesman and have no punishment?

mup

I find it impossible to believe that some people are attempting to equate a friendly hand on the shoulder of a ref and Connolly actions against Carlow. I'd like to thinking they are just wumming.

For a person on here to claim they have spent hours defending Gaa officials and then turn around and say Connollys incident is farcical is nothing short of a hypocrite. I'm assuming you are part of a disciplinary committee in your own county and if so then you should be ashamed of yourself.

tonto1888

what does the actually rule state? Does it say you can interfere with an official so long as it is in a friendly manner? Or does it say no interference at all?