We need to talk about Diarmuid

Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 10:18:51 AM
A 'light' touch that caused the linesman to take 2 steps backwards. What level of violence is acceptable lenny? A light open hand slap that doesn't draw blood?

People saying what about a lad that put his arm on a ref's arm in a 'ah jaysus be nice' kind of way are missing the point probably deliberately. Connolly was irate, aggressive, and in the linesman's face. After he pushed him, he then stuck his finger in his face giving out. He wasn't in any way being calm or conciliatory.

So you're seriously calling that touch on the shoulder violence? As it happens I think no level of violence is acceptable especially re officials. As regards contact on officials the sort of contact which is unacceptable is where the official immediately feels he has to deal with it and issue a sanction. In this case brannigan obviously thought the contact was trivial, the expression on his face never changes throughout. The officials have suspiciously added this to their match report after sky tv have made an issue out of it.

tonto1888

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 13, 2017, 11:13:16 AM
A 'light' touch that caused the linesman to take 2 steps backwards. What level of violence is acceptable lenny? A light open hand slap that doesn't draw blood?

People saying what about a lad that put his arm on a ref's arm in a 'ah jaysus be nice' kind of way are missing the point probably deliberately. Connolly was irate, aggressive, and in the linesman's face. After he pushed him, he then stuck his finger in his face giving out. He wasn't in any way being calm or conciliatory.
No and the poor hoor of a linesman knew about Connolly's flash temper and the episode in McGowans too, you can bet.
Now if it were Berno or Clucko or any of the rest of the team, the fear factor wouldn't be so great.  I don't think anyone else on the team would be regarded as a headbanger. No ifs or buts, the linesman felt he was being threatened.

did he tell you that? Because otherwise you don't know. If he was feeling so threatened why not tell the ref? FWIW, I think he should have told the ref who then should have sent Connolly off

AZOffaly

I asked what level of violence is acceptable to you. I didn't  comment on the push other than to say he was aggressive and the push caused a 2 step backwards. 

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 12, 2017, 09:22:56 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:14:18 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 12, 2017, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 08:03:29 PM
In this case because it's hard enough to get referees as it is. If we in any way say that it's ok to push them around, then we are making a rod for our own backs. If people can't see this, then I give up.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the ban. It's how it has been done that seems to be the problem
Absolutely. I understand that. I also understand the frustration when other get away with other stuff. However this is important. If the GAA is seen as being soft on protecting its officials, then we're heading down a dangerous path.
As an Armagh man, that frustration is high for me given Geezers ban.
I wish the ref had have just sent Connolly off and then all this discussion would not be happening
The CCCC would still be handing out a 12 week ban, there would  be an appeal and all the usual yap here muttering, sure it was only a little push, meanwhile ignoring the (presumed) strong language and his aggressive demeanor.

heffo

What level of violence is acceptable lenny?

What level of violence is acceptable to you?

You pick and choose and dismiss three players using 'violence' against Connolly off the pitch as a bit of harmless pushing and shoving.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:39:34 PM

You pick and choose and dismiss three players using 'violence' against Connolly off the pitch as a bit of harmless pushing and shoving.

Completely different thing when an official is touched.

heffo

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2017, 12:41:59 PM

There were five instances of officials being touched over the weekend and no sanction.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:43:06 PM

There were five instances of officials being touched over the weekend and no sanction.

And how many of those players did so in an aggressive manner causing an official to take two backward steps due to the force exerted upon him?

heffo

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 13, 2017, 12:47:06 PM

And how many of those players did so in an aggressive manner causing an official to take two backward steps due to the force exerted upon him?

Get your story straight

OgraAnDun

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:56:23 PM

Get your story straight

Are you for real? A bit of pushing and shoving when Connolly illegally holds onto the ball is somehow equal to pushing a linesman hard enough to force him to take several steps back? Or Connolly's actions are like placing a conciliatory hand on the ref's shoulder while he hands out a yellow card?

I would say take off the blue tinted glasses but they're not so much tinted as a pair of sky blue VR lenses repeatedly showing Cluxton's winning point in 2011. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on June 13, 2017, 12:56:23 PM

Get your story straight

You need to cop on FFS. False equivalence and whataboutery. Connolly shoved an official in an aggressive manner. You are trying to obfuscate by equating that with a lad putting his hand on a ref to talk to him in a friendly fashion.

Pathetic. I'm done with this conversation, and it is certainly an eye opener in how some people on here see officials. No wonder we find it hard to get refs.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 13, 2017, 01:02:34 PM

Pathetic. I'm done with this conversation, and it is certainly an eye opener in how some people on here see officials. No wonder we find it hard to get refs.

That's feckin hillarious. The scene is obviously getting worse and worse everytime you play it in your head!! Please don't have a breakdown.

And maybe remember the calm way that Branagan reacted.

The finger pointing in the face was far worse that the hand on the shoulder (as was Murphy's tirade after he got red I'm sure).

Bord na Mona man

People might dismiss as being a light push, but are we then happy enough to allow this sort of approach to officials filter down through the ranks?

We'll say you're a ref at a club game with 40 players togged and 50 supporters on the line and you've come there alone. Would you be happy with your decisions being disputed with a light shove?

We'll say 2 or 3 players do it in quick succession, would you still be happy that all is in order?
Maybe the manager encroaches onto the pitch and remonstrates in a similar way. All good craic, part of the game, man up etc?

AZOffaly

I'm glad you find it funny. And it's amazing how blasé people are about an official being pushed hard enough that he takes two steps backward. Connolly deserves 12 weeks, even if the same officials have cack handedly given him an excuse to launch an appeal.

Jesus Christ we're telling young lads to respect refs and to walk away, and now they are seeing the biggest and best team in the country standing behind a player who shoved a ref. It's unreal.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on June 13, 2017, 01:12:31 PM
People might dismiss as being a light push, but are we then happy enough to allow this sort of approach to officials filter down through the ranks?

We'll say you're a ref at a club game with 40 players togged and 50 supporters on the line and you've come there alone. Would you be happy with your decisions being disputed with a light shove?

We'll say 2 or 3 players do it in quick succession, would you still be happy that all is in order?
Maybe the manager encroaches onto the pitch and remonstrates in a similar way. All good craic, part of the game, man up etc?

This. I just cannot understand that people think what Connolly did was acceptable. If Sean Cavanagh did it, there'd be anarchy.